P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 743, 744, 745 ... 759, 760, 761  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a review is best served with small spoilers so beware.

Well you wouldn never guess what I watched. The Blob! The remake from 1988. Starring, at first, a bunch of college numbnuts, but actually starring Kevin Dillon's mullet, a sheriff I've seen in a dozen films, melty bad guy from Robocop (who is not a bad actor, mind you) and a passable cheerleader I bet I saw in a bunch of 80's films. Heh. Passable...

Movie starts with people trying to get dates. It's very much into the dating side of life, until of course something has to go terribly wrong. Kevin Dillon is the tough small time small town crook type who walks around like he owns the place, has no respect for authority, but is smart, capable and independent. The mullet is something that caught my eye right from the beginning - I mean it looks like his head is carrying a backpack.

Local homeless guy pokes at a meteorite with a stick and pays the price. Instead of simply asking for help when he meets Kevin Dillon's mullet, he screams and runs into the woods sans much concern for his wellbeing, only to be hit by a car, ending with him being taken to the hospital. That's one way of asking for help. Kevin Dillon's mullet turns from a screw everything guy into a nice guy real quick because there's a lady involved, as the events start to unfold at the hospital, where the ever-growing "blob" is unleashed and claims its first prey after the homeless guy. You get a taste of the sweet rubbery, gooey gore effects, all in glorious practical 1980's fashion. Ah yes, it was still the age of the artisans indeed. Totally B+ in quality, but inventive and fun to look at. Lots of reverse shots.

The monster may be a shapeless mass, but is surprisingly fast, sometimes seemingly faster than people on foot, which is atypical of limbless locomotion. It can grow appendages, but mostly does that for sexual harassment. Write about it on Twitter 30 years later, females. The Blob devours at least complex organisms such as humans, and slowly (sometimes quickly, the movie can't decide) dissolves the remains inside its body. In one instance, it seems to be able to consume the internal organs and even bones of a young woman covertly almost without any external injury, in a matter of seconds. This is highly irregular blob behavior, and even more incredible for a young blobling.

People in the movie also have blob for brains sometimes, because they love to seek out cul-de-sacs and corner themselves at first opportunity. Luckily there is little Kevin Dillon's mullet can't do. He even fires a rocket launcher one-fucking-handed to blow a manhole cover with a truck on top of it out of the way. Not only does he absolutely waste the truck above, the ladder and sewer opening beneath remain unscathed. It's one of the most selectively destructive explosions I've seen in a movie.

Also, KDM (Kevin Dillon's mullet) and Ms. Passable love to assume the role of police once blob hits the fan. Why do you have to go to Blabla Grove where it all started with the hobo, when you could just go home and at least attempt to remain safe? Is a lethal biohazard really something for the common citizen to worry about? What qualifications do you have for situations such as this one? Which protocols did you intend to follow? But sure, get on your bike and ride into the night, there's a blob on the loose after all.

In the end The Blob turns into Ghostbusters 2 except that no it doesn't because this was one year before Ghostbusters 2 holy shit. The ending of GB2 is pretty much lifted straight from here, and I didn't know it until now.
Life has new meaning. Not only that, the end of The Blob turns into the ending of the first Ghostbusters. I was expecting a black man to come out and scream how he loves this town (hail Ernie Hudson), but while that doesn't happen, a black man from earlier does appear, which further might prove that I can summon them at will. There were a few other moments where I simply knew what the next line is going to be. One of the lines was "they are expendable", word for word. Either I am a precog, or the writers were taking the easy route. They mostly do though. With this B-stuff, I guess it's a part of the charm to know exactly what's going to happen. You just want to watch it unfold. And it's not like The Blob takes itself very seriously, just look at Kevin Dillon's mullet.

I'll give The Blob seven Chris Farleys out of five. Props for playing Alien's Brave New Love in the credits.

Coming soon: I already ordered a box with Phantasms 1-4. I dare say it's gonna be phantastic.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Just finished my yearly watch of Hellraiser. No other movie hits such perfect balance: it's simultaneously intellectual and visceral, atmospheric and effectist, epic and intimate, spiritual and materialistic in its horror, just fucking perfect. And as much as I like the tracks Coil originally did for this movie, I'm glad they went with the Christopher Young sountrack because it adds to the ambivalence of it all. I just can't pick between this one and The Thing as my favorite 80s horror film.

Still reigns as one of the best horror movies ever made.
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched _________ last night. Some great lines.
-Nobody ever wins a fight.
-A man puts a gun in yer face, you got two choices - stand there 'n die or kill the motherfucker!
-That gal's got entirely too many brains to have an ass like that.
-I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
AngleOffDeeth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and saw Overlord on Friday. I had only read a small description of it before going, and that description was definitely not in line with what I saw.

Without getting too spoilery, I can say that the supernatural/zombie aspect of the movie is definitely played up in the descriptions compared to the movie itself. This is first and foremost a war movie. It's as if the squad from Saving Private Ryan had stumbled upon supernatural type shit instead.

Overall it was a really enjoyable movie. It walks an odd line between taking itself too seriously at times, and being an all out B action/horror movie. It works for the most part, but sometimes it seems the dialogue bogs down the pacing in the middle. When the actions is kicking in though, it absolutely embraces the B movie action tropes in the best way. Worth a watch.

P.S. Despite what the descriptions might say, this movie is not that gory. Doesn't even really reach Saving Private Ryan levels.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightvvolf wrote:
Watched _________ last night. Some great lines.
-Nobody ever wins a fight.
-A man puts a gun in yer face, you got two choices - stand there 'n die or kill the motherfucker!
-That gal's got entirely too many brains to have an ass like that.
-I used to fuck guys like you in prison.

Road House.
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids - lovely-nihilism/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - its like a "greatest hits" in movie form, all the bullet points are met, but not much else, the musical numbers were solid, not amazing but entertaining if you appreciate Queen to any extent - 6.5/10
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:

Road House.

https://youtu.be/wqWADN0UubA
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend:

Overlord- great film. Like a drive in pulp b movie in all the best ways. Even got a free poster from the theater:

Wizard of Gore (remake) - Crispin Glover is always great.

Dracula A.D. 1972- put this on late last night to relax too. Love this film.

The Gate (1987)- classic horror film. Stephen Dorff as a kid. Great visual shots & fx. I need to find a copy of part 2. Haven't seen it in years.

Bohemian Rhapsody- hey Hollywood. Do you know what Freddy Mercury's biggest fears were?
1) Being outed as gay
2) Being seen as a gay artist/performer
3) Vaginas......obviously

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightvvolf wrote:
hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:

Road House.

https://youtu.be/wqWADN0UubA

That show has ruined so much for me. Can't watch certain actors without saying THIS in my head about a hundred times.

https://youtu.be/cMAewj2RamA

Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
I think a review is best served with small spoilers so beware.

Well you wouldn never guess what I watched. The Blob! The remake from 1988. Starring, at first, a bunch of college numbnuts, but actually starring Kevin Dillon's mullet, a sheriff I've seen in a dozen films, melty bad guy from Robocop (who is not a bad actor, mind you) and a passable cheerleader I bet I saw in a bunch of 80's films. Heh. Passable...

Movie starts with people trying to get dates. It's very much into the dating side of life, until of course something has to go terribly wrong. Kevin Dillon is the tough small time small town crook type who walks around like he owns the place, has no respect for authority, but is smart, capable and independent. The mullet is something that caught my eye right from the beginning - I mean it looks like his head is carrying a backpack.

Local homeless guy pokes at a meteorite with a stick and pays the price. Instead of simply asking for help when he meets Kevin Dillon's mullet, he screams and runs into the woods sans much concern for his wellbeing, only to be hit by a car, ending with him being taken to the hospital. That's one way of asking for help. Kevin Dillon's mullet turns from a screw everything guy into a nice guy real quick because there's a lady involved, as the events start to unfold at the hospital, where the ever-growing "blob" is unleashed and claims its first prey after the homeless guy. You get a taste of the sweet rubbery, gooey gore effects, all in glorious practical 1980's fashion. Ah yes, it was still the age of the artisans indeed. Totally B+ in quality, but inventive and fun to look at. Lots of reverse shots.

The monster may be a shapeless mass, but is surprisingly fast, sometimes seemingly faster than people on foot, which is atypical of limbless locomotion. It can grow appendages, but mostly does that for sexual harassment. Write about it on Twitter 30 years later, females. The Blob devours at least complex organisms such as humans, and slowly (sometimes quickly, the movie can't decide) dissolves the remains inside its body. In one instance, it seems to be able to consume the internal organs and even bones of a young woman covertly almost without any external injury, in a matter of seconds. This is highly irregular blob behavior, and even more incredible for a young blobling.

People in the movie also have blob for brains sometimes, because they love to seek out cul-de-sacs and corner themselves at first opportunity. Luckily there is little Kevin Dillon's mullet can't do. He even fires a rocket launcher one-fucking-handed to blow a manhole cover with a truck on top of it out of the way. Not only does he absolutely waste the truck above, the ladder and sewer opening beneath remain unscathed. It's one of the most selectively destructive explosions I've seen in a movie.

Also, KDM (Kevin Dillon's mullet) and Ms. Passable love to assume the role of police once blob hits the fan. Why do you have to go to Blabla Grove where it all started with the hobo, when you could just go home and at least attempt to remain safe? Is a lethal biohazard really something for the common citizen to worry about? What qualifications do you have for situations such as this one? Which protocols did you intend to follow? But sure, get on your bike and ride into the night, there's a blob on the loose after all.

In the end The Blob turns into Ghostbusters 2 except that no it doesn't because this was one year before Ghostbusters 2 holy shit. The ending of GB2 is pretty much lifted straight from here, and I didn't know it until now.
Life has new meaning. Not only that, the end of The Blob turns into the ending of the first Ghostbusters. I was expecting a black man to come out and scream how he loves this town (hail Ernie Hudson), but while that doesn't happen, a black man from earlier does appear, which further might prove that I can summon them at will. There were a few other moments where I simply knew what the next line is going to be. One of the lines was "they are expendable", word for word. Either I am a precog, or the writers were taking the easy route. They mostly do though. With this B-stuff, I guess it's a part of the charm to know exactly what's going to happen. You just want to watch it unfold. And it's not like The Blob takes itself very seriously, just look at Kevin Dillon's mullet.

I'll give The Blob seven Chris Farleys out of five. Props for playing Alien's Brave New Love in the credits.

Coming soon: I already ordered a box with Phantasms 1-4. I dare say it's gonna be phantastic.

One of the best horror films of the 80's, it deserves it's place as part of the Fly and the Thing 'incredible 80's horror remakes' trilogy'.

Some interesting points about the blob is how brutal it is, it took out characters that were altruistic, it was also not shy about killing and assimilating children. One of the most blatant displays of a mullet in a movie. Also the cheerleader was thankfully a highlight of the movie, not a typical cheerleader character.
Fantom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltrubbed Eyes wrote:
One of the most blatant displays of a mullet in a movie.

Don't forget "They Live"!

Very Happy
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blob is quite a few notches below The Thing and The Fly but it's really good anyway. I certainly didn't expect it to be as good as it was back when I watched it for the first time, caught me by surprise.
Julius Salvator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have a topic about "southern gothic metal", I was wondering if someone can recommend movies in the vein of "Angel Heart" or the first season of "True Detective", southern flavour with a dark touch, one might say. Thanks in advance!
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecil B. Dmented- anyone else remember this?

Ough

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius Salvator wrote:
Since we have a topic about "southern gothic metal", I was wondering if someone can recommend movies in the vein of "Angel Heart" or the first season of "True Detective", southern flavour with a dark touch, one might say. Thanks in advance!

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 743, 744, 745 ... 759, 760, 761  Next
Page 744 of 761

Jump to: