P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 668, 669, 670  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tobias



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 426

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought hereditary was good.
A well made, modern occult horror film. Which is surprising to see so widely accepted by the mainstream. But kinda felt like there was nothing all that original there. Kinda also reminded me of Kill List, which I thought was better.
_________________
"They consider "dark" works made by 2 notes, full of keyboards useful only to enter in the posers temple."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blodhemn9



Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 6869
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias wrote:
I thought hereditary was good.
A well made, modern occult horror film. Which is surprising to see so widely accepted by the mainstream.


It really isn't liked by the mainstream. Critics and people like us loved it, but the average movie goer seems to have hated it, much like The Witch.
_________________
Feuersturm wrote:
One day trans-androgynous cats, bi-curious hermaphrodite helicopters the next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peopleface



Joined: 27 Jun 2016
Posts: 423

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias wrote:
I thought hereditary was good.
A well made, modern occult horror film. Which is surprising to see so widely accepted by the mainstream. But kinda felt like there was nothing all that original there. Kinda also reminded me of Kill List, which I thought was better.


I appreciated some of the small details in hereditary. I suggest if anyone is interested in seeing it to not read any reviews or watch many trailers and just go see it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
candlesmoke



Joined: 07 Jun 2016
Posts: 625
Location: vinterdvala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Tobias wrote:
I thought hereditary was good.
A well made, modern occult horror film. Which is surprising to see so widely accepted by the mainstream.


It really isn't liked by the mainstream. Critics and people like us loved it, but the average movie goer seems to have hated it, much like The Witch.


Going to see it as well on Friday. Looking forward to it based on the film's premise and the reviews here. Absolutely loved The Witch as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snark Shark



Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 917

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



As cheesy story-wise as usual for this kind of thing, but with better acting and direction than you would expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Missing Link



Joined: 04 Dec 2017
Posts: 1033

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snark Shark wrote:


As cheesy story-wise as usual for this kind of thing, but with better acting and direction than you would expect.

Classic
_________________
Trade/Sale: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62099

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Numerator41



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 680
Location: Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haunted Castle (1969)
Retelling of a Japanese "bakeneko" legend, basically folklore that revolves around supernatural cat creatures. A feudal lord requests his retainer's younger sister as a concubine and murders him when he refuses. The distraught sister commits seppuku after which her black cat drinks her blood and begins possessing the ladies of the castle in order to torment the lord. I guess there's a shit ton of Japanese films following this plot, but this one was quite entertaining with lots of ghoulish special effects and eerie scenery.

_________________
Blort wrote:
The Chopped Off Dick from Miami or Chopped Off Dick from Topeka?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mortado



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1328
Location: Eastern Washington desert.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching up...

123. 05/21 - Deadpool 2* (cinema) - Good popcorn fun, maybe better than the first one

124. 05/23 - Innocent Blood (bluray) - The Warner Archive bluray brings the international cut to the US for the first time, also first time widescreen in the US. Great stuff from Landis, almost as good as American Werewolf in London,

125. 05/27 - The Sword and the Claw (bluray) - Batter known as LionMan this is my favorite in Turkish trash film. The bluray from AFGA is sharp but still grainy and damaged, preserving the grindhouse feel.

126. 05/31 - Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke (bluray) - Classic stuff, albeit a little dated. I pretty much have this movie memorized.

127. 06/02 - Eaten Alive (bluray) Good Lenz cannibal film, the Severin blu looks pretty good.

128. 06/05 - Upgrade* (cinema) - Awesome action/scifi/body horror, surprised this made it to the cinema.

129. 06/12 - Shocking Dark* (bluray) - Great cheese, I don't know how I missed this Italian Aliens/Terminator ripoff before.

130. 06/13 - Burial Ground (bluray) - Fun Eurozombie flick with the great Peter Bark and the most unsettling kid ever.
131. 06/13 - Zombie 4: After Death (bluray) - Eurozombie fun
132. 06/13 - Zombie 3 (bluray) - I like this Fulci/Mattei mashup a lot better than I did on first viewing. Good stuff.
133. 06/13 - Land of the Dead (DVD) - I like it better than I did seeing it in the cinema years back. Still, it pales to Romeros's classic trilogy.

134. 06/14 - Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals (bluray) - Super sexy Laura Gemser meets a cannibal tribe and is naked through half the movie. Gut munching and softcore, a great combination.

135. 06/17 - Hereditary* (cinema) - What everyone here has said, masterful.

136. 06/18 - Testament* (vod) - They sure did make good nuke movies in the 80s. I liked this one better than The Day After, not as much as Threads. Bleak and grim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Logghi Barogghi



Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEREDITARY...

This film begs to be seen again. Wow.
I saw folks walk out on this, and couldnt be happier to see that sort of response. Its Kubrickian in stature and vision allowing the viewer to normalize this storytelling with standardized horror tropes, only to demand more of the viewer. Important as it is nightmare fuel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ough



Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 4710
Location: Aetheiapolis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHat are some good docs on Netflix or Hulu?
_________________
Quote:
I feel that good metal should be more punk than metal to be good metal...

http://nghtrhthms.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cochino



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 780

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from watching Hereditary. Talk about screwing the pooch in the last 15 minutes. Gonna say some mild spoilers, so you might wanna skip the next paragraph if you plan to watch the film, although I'd recommend just to skip the film alltogether.

Anyway, as soon as the main lady went to the other ladies house I thought "oh, they're pulling off a Rosemary's Baby" and sure thing, they did. Which would've been perfectly fine but the end "twist" or however you wanna call it is so fucking dumb and inconsecuential that actually breaks all the tension it built so well during the whole movie and in retrospect renders it all really, really dumb. The whole theatre where I watched it went completely silent and was pretty much 100% into the film all the way through until that ending where everybody just started laughing their asses off at how stupid it all was, and that's certainly not the reaction you want in a horror film. Nobody walked out of the movie, but a lot of people were complaining about the garbage ending while walking out, and they were 100% right. The most frustrating thing is that it was so good for most of it, I loved how you didn't know what the next scene was going to be, mixing up drama, supernatural and psychological horror with slow but really good pacing. The dude who made it is certainly a very good director, but I hope next time he gets some help with the script.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peopleface



Joined: 27 Jun 2016
Posts: 423

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Just came back from watching Hereditary. Talk about screwing the pooch in the last 15 minutes. Gonna say some mild spoilers, so you might wanna skip the next paragraph if you plan to watch the film, although I'd recommend just to skip the film alltogether.

Anyway, as soon as the main lady went to the other ladies house I thought "oh, they're pulling off a Rosemary's Baby" and sure thing, they did. Which would've been perfectly fine but the end "twist" or however you wanna call it is so fucking dumb and inconsecuential that actually breaks all the tension it built so well during the whole movie and in retrospect renders it all really, really dumb. The whole theatre where I watched it went completely silent and was pretty much 100% into the film all the way through until that ending where everybody just started laughing their asses off at how stupid it all was, and that's certainly not the reaction you want in a horror film. Nobody walked out of the movie, but a lot of people were complaining about the garbage ending while walking out, and they were 100% right. The most frustrating thing is that it was so good for most of it, I loved how you didn't know what the next scene was going to be, mixing up drama, supernatural and psychological horror with slow but really good pacing. The dude who made it is certainly a very good director, but I hope next time he gets some help with the script.


(POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR HEREDITARY)

sorry I can't really tell what you're talking about. I don't understand how the ending was exactly bad and I can't tell what "twist" you're talking about. When I watched it I didn't get horror from the ending but moreso disbelief at what I was looking at (which I liked). Like how over the top it was. Maybe a more predictable ending would have simply been holding this tension all the way through until the end
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cochino



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 780

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peopleface wrote:
cochino wrote:
Just came back from watching Hereditary. Talk about screwing the pooch in the last 15 minutes. Gonna say some mild spoilers, so you might wanna skip the next paragraph if you plan to watch the film, although I'd recommend just to skip the film alltogether.

Anyway, as soon as the main lady went to the other ladies house I thought "oh, they're pulling off a Rosemary's Baby" and sure thing, they did. Which would've been perfectly fine but the end "twist" or however you wanna call it is so fucking dumb and inconsecuential that actually breaks all the tension it built so well during the whole movie and in retrospect renders it all really, really dumb. The whole theatre where I watched it went completely silent and was pretty much 100% into the film all the way through until that ending where everybody just started laughing their asses off at how stupid it all was, and that's certainly not the reaction you want in a horror film. Nobody walked out of the movie, but a lot of people were complaining about the garbage ending while walking out, and they were 100% right. The most frustrating thing is that it was so good for most of it, I loved how you didn't know what the next scene was going to be, mixing up drama, supernatural and psychological horror with slow but really good pacing. The dude who made it is certainly a very good director, but I hope next time he gets some help with the script.


(POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR HEREDITARY)

sorry I can't really tell what you're talking about. I don't understand how the ending was exactly bad and I can't tell what "twist" you're talking about. When I watched it I didn't get horror from the ending but moreso disbelief at what I was looking at (which I liked). Like how over the top it was. Maybe a more predictable ending would have simply been holding this tension all the way through until the end

Actually, I felt quite the opposite. Seeing how they were planting all those Rosemary's Baby/Don't Look Now/Amytiville seeds all along the film, I expected something different as the payoff. And even if it was something in that vein, at least something that bared some sort of relation with the whole family drama we had been seeing for 2 hours and not such cliched crap that wasn't offbeat enough to surprise you nor it kept with the whole theme of the movie. It even felt like it went more for the jump scare and cheap shock value that it had been avoiding for the whole rest of the movie. It almost felt completely tacked on after a screentest or something. Not saying that's what actually happened, just how it felt for me. It was really disappointing that after such a subtle movie, with great acting and a great setup, the payoff was so pedestrian. Watching it again knowing what happens at the end would made it unbearable to me because I'd know how pointless everything is anyway. Such a fucking waste of Toni Collete's amazing performance.
Like I said, about 20 minutes in the movie had sucked in even the most chatty teenage assholes in the room, but the final stretch had everybody laughing out loud at how stupid and anticlimatic everything was. And anticlimatic can be good, like Night Of The Living Dead's ending for instance, but when you're making people laugh when you're supposed to scare them you know you screwed up. Sorry for the long rant but it was such a waste of a great movie that I feel really frustrated by the whole thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vala



Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenement (1985)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Logghi Barogghi



Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Just came back from watching Hereditary. Talk about screwing the pooch in the last 15 minutes. Gonna say some mild spoilers, so you might wanna skip the next paragraph if you plan to watch the film, although I'd recommend just to skip the film alltogether.

Anyway, as soon as the main lady went to the other ladies house I thought "oh, they're pulling off a Rosemary's Baby" and sure thing, they did. Which would've been perfectly fine but the end "twist" or however you wanna call it is so fucking dumb and inconsecuential that actually breaks all the tension it built so well during the whole movie and in retrospect renders it all really, really dumb. The whole theatre where I watched it went completely silent and was pretty much 100% into the film all the way through until that ending where everybody just started laughing their asses off at how stupid it all was, and that's certainly not the reaction you want in a horror film. Nobody walked out of the movie, but a lot of people were complaining about the garbage ending while walking out, and they were 100% right. The most frustrating thing is that it was so good for most of it, I loved how you didn't know what the next scene was going to be, mixing up drama, supernatural and psychological horror with slow but really good pacing. The dude who made it is certainly a very good director, but I hope next time he gets some help with the script.



Came away on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The tie ins to the Seal of Paimon' from the real-life 'spell book' The Lesser Key of Solomon was pretty cool. Anointing the brother for his "prepped" role [male] as the king, while removing the daughter's role, literally in her physical form is key; the pole that she hit had the symbol on it. [the symbolism is strewn about the film...i.e. ester egg style]. I would see this again, just to tidy up the scenes that are, post viewing, clues.

Sure, it's derivative in nature...I mean, it's a rarity to find anything that isn't based on...well...something else? I saw Kubrick almost immediately, then the Rosemary's Baby/possession type of films entered the fray, while some solid acting/family drama starts to fade into a final act that actually reminded me, in it's reveal, of the lesser known new-ish film A Dark Song. Killing of a Scared Deer also had a sacrificial element derived from Greek mythology that popped into my head.

There's a lot to digest with this film, and the director was clearly paying attention in film school. I also don't hold that against him for crafting a solid film. I wouldn't want to watch this in a full cinema with a bunch of "kids" with the attention span of a mosquito...they laugh, because they don't understand what's happening on the screen, imo.

I sat at first matinee screening, during the week, so there was about 25-30 people, and watched as some left...and the chatter of a few at the exit, was that it was not well received.

I watched The Witch with the same scenario a few years ago, and people were acting like idiots and some actually boo'ed half assedly to make a fool out of themselves I guess, because it didn't have enough spoon fed to them. The Witch is a fantastic film.

The stats on Rotten Tomatoes are telling:

Critics: 90%
Audience: 56%

People want their "slipknot horror' over well made films, they lazily call "arthouse film snobbery" and that's fine, I guess. Different Strokes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 668, 669, 670  Next
Page 657 of 670

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group