P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 530, 531, 532 ... 558, 559, 560  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chunks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read the book for High-Rise, the film is OK for how ambitious it is...

been watching Ken Burns' The Vietnam War, luv it.
Dismal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunks wrote:
just read the book for High-Rise, the film is OK for how ambitious it is...

Yeah, the film is quite ambitious, and slightly falls. it's not bad at all in fact, considering many thought the book could never be made into a film.

The Devil's Business looks ok. Kind of like it might have been influenced by Kill List?.
I'll check it out though.
I'm a fan of Ben Wheatley and wasn't sure what I thought of Free Fire. I saw it at the London film festival last year, and Ben Wheately spoke before, saying how he made this, almost in contrast to High Rise. It's only 90 mins long, lots of action, witty wise-cracking, pretty silly, but still has some darkness.I still think Kill List, A Field in England and Sightseers are his best.

The Ghoul I've acquired but still haven't got round to watching. Maybe tonight.

Anyway, yeah, Rick and Morty. Morty's mindbenders!
Finished the latest season of Narcos. Wild about their location scout turning up dead..
Might watch more of that American Vandal. Dumb but funny.
GermanicIron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showed the GF Slither and In The Mouth of Madness. Both underrated gems. Also recently watched the Devilman OVAs for the first time; geeky as hell, but I have a soft spot for super gory late-80s/early 90s anime (nothing beats Fist of the North Star though).

Oh, and I really didn't like Mother!. Aronofsky seems to think he's the new Kubrick, but really he's just arthouse Shyamalan.

https://germaniciron.bandcamp.com
Death Kvlt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadgames - it sucked
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingsman: Golden Circle was fantastic, lacked some* of the comedy of the original, but made up for it with a more realistically believable social commentary and an even more far-fetched villain. Loved the Bethesda-Fallout styled villain lair, and the action was a lot more inventive and gun-kata than the fights in the first one.

---
Recent deals/trades with : Al Infierno, bearsbearsbears , jerry666, lordpazuzu, lunar stele, xyosefx . Feedback on ebay and discogs speaks loud.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Devil's Business is a horror film that happens to include a hitman. The ending has more in common with earlier, campier '70s horror films. I can see a lot of people hating it but I got a kick out of it. Both films came out around the same time so it may have just been a coincidence that they share commonalities.

I didn't like Kill List the first time around. It wasn't until I found a used dvd that the film grew on me and I've disliked his other films esp. A Field in England..

Last edited by bitewerks on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stuff- blu-ray transfer looks great
Numerator41

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GermanicIron wrote:
Also recently watched the Devilman OVAs for the first time; geeky as hell, but I have a soft spot for super gory late-80s/early 90s anime (nothing beats Fist of the North Star though).

I'm guessing you've seen Genocyber? Shit is borderline incomprehensible (or maybe it's the dub I watched) but I love its dedication to scene after scene of human annihilation.

PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keep : fantastic as always.
S.H.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterVenkman wrote:
New Rick and Morty today, best comedy show on TVs at the moment.

Watched first season and part of second today and it is indeed rather funny and clever. Nothing spectacular, but very enjoyable. Goofy, rather unique and off-the-wall plotlines are definitely the strong point of the show.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick and Morty is the best... enjoy this far more than Simpsons or Family Guy or South Park. Probably the off the wall sci-fi slant to it and it is pretty funny.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurassic World last night. Ehh. Oddly, they borrowed not only from the original Jurassic Park as you'd expect, but also from Predator (camouflage, heat signatures, muddy beach, killing for sport...) and Aliens. Half decent CGI at best, for the most part. Sighworthy "you're my brother we'll always be together!" bullshit and the dinosaurs were anthropomorphised to hell. Biggest offenders were the raptors that gave glances, turned against the protagonists and then redeemed themselves in the end because emotions. They just had to make them "talk" too. No Jeff Goldblum either. Gahh! Mediocre.
peopleface

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother! - Not good to me. Well acted/filmed but I got the main points halfway and then it kept going and going. Like someone wanted to explore a theme/metaphors but forgot to write characters/story you actually wanted to follow
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Last Dragon-Sho'Nuff
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
Jurassic World last night. Ehh. Oddly, they borrowed not only from the original Jurassic Park as you'd expect, but also from Predator (camouflage, heat signatures, muddy beach, killing for sport...) and Aliens. Half decent CGI at best, for the most part. Sighworthy "you're my brother we'll always be together!" bullshit and the dinosaurs were anthropomorphised to hell. Biggest offenders were the raptors that gave glances, turned against the protagonists and then redeemed themselves in the end because emotions. They just had to make them "talk" too. No Jeff Goldblum either. Gahh! Mediocre.

hahaha... excellent observation and explanation of the movie. Raptors looking at the Starlord guy with that gaze of a father looking to his son out of some Viking exploit before self sacrificing was too much indeed haha

I never viewed it with the Predator similarity though until you mentioned it... but yea, same script almost hahaha... and the big white lizard tricking them to opening the gate by clawing the wall and then baiting them to come in. Quite a stretch.

Certain levels of intelligence require commitment... the albino lizard should have come out of hiding with laser guns and talking alien if they wanted to give it that kind of cunning but ...then only for a second then it is a mindless animal on instinctual animal behaviour again hahaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 530, 531, 532 ... 558, 559, 560  Next
Page 531 of 560

Jump to: