P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 148, 149, 150  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisWitchhammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Alien: Resurrection. Was worse than I remembered.

So I had to take a fix with the original three films afterwards.

That movie was awful, a desperate attempt to ressurect a franchise that should have been left alone. The other films, including Alien 3, are perfect movies in my book.
VoKu HiLa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars Van Trier´s "Melancholia"

The wacked out premise of the whole things combined with Kirsten Dunst´s enormous mammaries really impressed me.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisWitchhammer wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

That movie was awful, a desperate attempt to ressurect a franchise that should have been left alone. The other films, including Alien 3, are perfect movies in my book.

Sure. I did watch it a lot as teenager but back then those movies were my all time faves anyways (and original three are up there still). I hadn't seen the fourth one for many years and I just had an impulse to watch it. Maybe I shouldn't.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
DFP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien 3 was a fucking mess as well, in my opinion.
Nichts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisWitchhammer wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

I don't know... Aliens was practically a comedy.
In my opinion, the original is the masterpiece... and the only one that actually gave the feeling of true terror and isolation.
W. Helm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched Seul contre tous yesterday. Very bleak and grimey. Recommended!
W. Helm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichts wrote:
ChrisWitchhammer wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

I don't know... Aliens was practically a comedy.
In my opinion, the original is the masterpiece... and the only one that actually gave the feeling of true terror and isolation.

Although I agree I must say the 2nd and 3rd films are worthy as sequals.
Aliens was just an action flick but very well done. Alien 3 has more of that mystery vibe to it.

I watched Resurrection again some months ago without any preconceived notions and enjoyed it for what it is.
The AVP films are pretty stupid but great at the same time because of the awesomeness of both creatures.
I really enjoyed the first one because of the visuals.
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big one I apologize for beforehand, I've watched more crap in the last month than I have in the last year:

The Raid: Redemption - finally watched this with a group and it was better than watching alone, short, mean and to the point, the Hard Boiled of fist to fist 5/5

The Raid 2 - feeling mixed on this one, while being a damn good gory martial arts crime flick, it is the polar opposite of the first, instead of a tight and tense fight for your life that takes place in a few hours this is a sprawling crime epic that feels like another Takashi Miike influenced attempt at "coolness", I really didn't like the comic book miniboss villains or any parts that didn't involve fighting as they were neither entertaining or weird or anything but functional for slowly creaking the characters up to the next fight, this is nothing like what I'd hope a Raid sequel would have been like, obviously due to the director just dropping the main character into another script written before the first movie 3/5

Centurion - a retarded take on the Romans fighting the Germanic tribes, a subject I'd always wanted to see a gory action movie take on, where here it is, and it is fucking stupid, everyone makes nu-metal Marilyn Manson/NFL player promo poses in slo-mo, a lot of CGI blood, fuck this stupid fucking piece of shit 1/5

The Divide - A Frenchy post apocalyptic survivors in a bunker tale with that paranoid Night of The Living Dead take, only everyone is a whimpering retard and immediately acts stupid way too fast, I was about to turn it off but then there was a brilliant absolutely intense and creepy scene near the beginning of this movie involving bio-suit soldiers abducting children, it seems like the movie is taking a turn towards being amazing, but then it turns into two gross guys sucking each other dicks and everyone fighting over food, but everything is enveloped in a gross mall metal miasma of stupidity 1/5

Incubus - no budget William Shatner fest spoken in Esperanto about a hot female demon that wishes to destroy a pure man's soul, it makes no sense at all, but it looks beautiful with its stark black and white photography, some still shots from this could used as dark death metal album art, an obvious attempt to copy Ingmar Bergman, it is honestly no better or worse than The Virgin Spring, maybe better because a demonic man turns into a giant black goat that clobbers everyone to death at the end, fascinating! 4/5

Return of The Street Fighter - all 4 of these classics run together for me, the mains strengths of the series are: Manga/Anime episodic style as it seems the plot changes or shifts every 5-10 minutes, awesome Fender surf guitar picking throughout, Chiba's utter ruthlessness as a the Street Fighter, he will beat people until their eyeballs are hanging out of their head or they are begging for their life then stomp their neck or chest with gruesome organ crushing sound effects with blood pouring out of the nose and mouth, I like that when he finds a female assassin trying to seduce him, instead of a stern slapping with corrective speech he holds her down and stabs her to death as she screams for mercy, also the whacky Batman TV series filming style is great, 4/5

Logan's Run - the future is an underground 70s mall/discotek where everyone sacrifices themselves to an exploding laser rose when they turn 30, Logan is a Sandman who hunts down 30 year olds that try to flee when suddenly he is assigned to go undercover to find out where they go, the reveal of where they end up is fucking insane, dark, and wonderfully absurd, and then the movie goes on for another fucking hour for no reason at all 3/5

Predators - I actually didn't finish this, it had convincing looking predators and big guns and shit but it was fucking boring, apparently a simple concept as the Predator is impossible to pull off well as there hasn't been a decent damn flick since the first one 0/5

Fist of Legend - 90s Jet Li movies look like kung fu films if they were done for Nickelodeon directed by the guy who did Ernest Scared Stupid/Goes To Jail/Camp/Africa/etc. Goofy and utterly retarded, but fun 3/5

Game of Thrones seasons 1-4 I am actually 3 episodes shy of completing 4, but as it stands this is a piss poor excuse for fantasy sword and sorcery, it is just a post modern soap opera but isn't too different from The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. The armor design, swords, fighting and gore are really fucking cool, the acting as with all HBO is top notch and makes it far more interesting than it should be. But the giants, ice demons and everything the show should be focusing on only comes in 1 minute spurts a season, I don't know if I have 10 years to see the show finally go from soap opera to somewhat generic fantasy. I will watch but I am actually interested in reading some other fantasy again like Brak Man Morn, The Worm Ouroboros, The Iliad, The Lord of The Rings series and anything else recommended 3/5

I'm selling a shitload of records and CDs from my collection http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44647
Këjser Öcc˙lt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a Modern Horror binge to update my knowledge what the modern horror films have to offer and watched 47 movies from 2009-2014. I found around 10 which I liked and about 5 I might want to watch again.

Then I dug out my Herzog box to watch his version of Nosferatu (my favorite horror movie) and went on with Aguirre, Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo. After watching them I remembered that movies can actually be a fucking fine and thought provoking form of art and got pissed about wasting my time on all that modern horror crap. But then I remembered that feeling of cosy warmth from the childhood of watching some annoying teen getting his throat slit and realized it's not that bad. So it's all fine and dandy.

Tonight I try to watch whole 450 minutes of Sátántangó on one go. I've managed that only once before. Hopefully I succeed.
DFP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck W. wrote:
Game of Thrones seasons 1-4 I am actually 3 episodes shy of completing 4, but as it stands this is a piss poor excuse for fantasy sword and sorcery, it is just a post modern soap opera but isn't too different from The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. The armor design, swords, fighting and gore are really fucking cool, the acting as with all HBO is top notch and makes it far more interesting than it should be. But the giants, ice demons and everything the show should be focusing on only comes in 1 minute spurts a season, I don't know if I have 10 years to see the show finally go from soap opera to somewhat generic fantasy. I will watch but I am actually interested in reading some other fantasy again like Brak Man Morn, The Worm Ouroboros, The Iliad, The Lord of The Rings series and anything else recommended 3/5

Game of Thrones is nothing but overrated as fuck and incredibly boring. After being forced by various people to watch this ("you will love it!") I sat myself through the first season and found it an absolutely unappealing mix of various genre-ingredients from Sword & Sorcery to Medieval Fiction that make no sense to me in the end. And after Sean Bean lost his head (wow, what an unexpected twist, so 24-like!), I had absolutely no desire to continue with the 2nd season. Not to mention that everything that would make Fantasy great (battles, creatures etc.) is either happening in the off or done with outdated CGI, so the producers can keep costs low.

Whoever compared this to a brilliant series full of subliminal humour and a plausible setting like Sopranos clearly has a fucked-up perception.
Urfe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W. Helm wrote:
Watched Seul contre tous yesterday. Very bleak and grimey. Recommended!

That goes by the English title "I Stand Alone" if i am correct? If so then yes a very good movie.

rewatched the first [REC] last night, not a big fan on "found footage" films but the first and second Rec films i enjoy (why the fuck the third one did not do found footage is beyond me).

Has anyone here seen Snowpiercer by chance? I've had it on my harddrive for awhile now and been meaning to check it out.
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFP wrote:
Chuck W. wrote:

Game of Thrones is nothing but overrated as fuck and incredibly boring. After being forced by various people to watch this ("you will love it!") I sat myself through the first season and found it an absolutely unappealing mix of various genre-ingredients from Sword & Sorcery to Medieval Fiction that make no sense to me in the end. And after Sean Bean lost his head (wow, what an unexpected twist, so 24-like!), I had absolutely no desire to continue with the 2nd season. Not to mention that everything that would make Fantasy great (battles, creatures etc.) is either happening in the off or done with outdated CGI, so the producers can keep costs low.

Whoever compared this to a brilliant series full of subliminal humour and a plausible setting like Sopranos clearly has a fucked-up perception.

I've only seen three seasons so far. Season one is easily the best. Nothing happens in season two or three until the final couple of episodes.
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck W. wrote:

The Raid 2 - feeling mixed on this one, while being a damn good gory martial arts crime flick, it is the polar opposite of the first, instead of a tight and tense fight for your life that takes place in a few hours this is a sprawling crime epic that feels like another Takashi Miike influenced attempt at "coolness", I really didn't like the comic book miniboss villains or any parts that didn't involve fighting as they were neither entertaining or weird or anything but functional for slowly creaking the characters up to the next fight, this is nothing like what I'd hope a Raid sequel would have been like, obviously due to the director just dropping the main character into another script written before the first movie 3/5

Centurion - a retarded take on the Romans fighting the Germanic tribes, a subject I'd always wanted to see a gory action movie take on, where here it is, and it is fucking stupid, everyone makes nu-metal Marilyn Manson/NFL player promo poses in slo-mo, a lot of CGI blood, fuck this stupid fucking piece of shit 1/5

Predators - I actually didn't finish this, it had convincing looking predators and big guns and shit but it was fucking boring, apparently a simple concept as the Predator is impossible to pull off well as there hasn't been a decent damn flick since the first one 0/5

Fist of Legend - 90s Jet Li movies look like kung fu films if they were done for Nickelodeon directed by the guy who did Ernest Scared Stupid/Goes To Jail/Camp/Africa/etc. Goofy and utterly retarded, but fun 3/5

I thought The Raid 2 pretty much set a new standard. Good gangster film in it's own right. Even the non fight scenes were shot well, and that car chase is probably the best one i've seen since Ronin.

Centurion is silly but Neil Marshall knows how to do gore. Deserves props just for that.

I didn't mind Predators. Enjoyed the more stripped down story. The original is timeless few are gong to come close to it.

Loved Fist Of Legend. Need to see more classic Jet Li.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFP wrote:
Alien 3 was a fucking mess as well, in my opinion.

Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnportal wrote:
everything that would make Fantasy great (battles, creatures etc.) is either happening in the off or done with outdated CGI, so the producers can keep costs low.

As far as TV shows go Game of Thrones has a massive budget. Even still it pales in comparison to the budget your average hollywood feature film has. As awesome as it would be to show all the cool fantasy elements going on in the story it's simply not possible for a TV show to do this, even one fully backed by HBO.

Last edited by Buried In Ohio on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 148, 149, 150  Next
Page 133 of 150

Jump to: