P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 852, 853, 854 ... 865, 866, 867  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't watch a movie because I would have not been able to stay awake for the entire duration after such an exhausting week. Saturday morning I did see two roe deers chasing a grey heron. 8/10.

I'll try again next weekend. Looks like a forgotten scifi classic that I didn't know about.
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dead don't die

Horror? Comedy? Satire?
Bland. Small town kind of boring (pretty much the mood of the movie).
Not sure what to make out of it - the kind of film you iron your shirts to?
hate oath

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Fifi wrote:
the dead don't die

Horror? Comedy? Satire?
Bland. Small town kind of boring (pretty much the mood of the movie).
Not sure what to make out of it - the kind of film you iron your shirts to?

I was already planning to avoid this, but I'm baffled that Jim Jarmusch is making a Bill Murray zombie comedy in 2019. Not that his filmography has been totally flawless, but come on.

Recently watched a few things:

1. Midsommar: very good, much more cohesive film than Hereditary in my opinion. Not perfect but it definitely solidified my interest in anything this director does in the future.

2. Stop Making Sense: probably seen this 20 times but never in a theater until last week. Huge smile on my face the whole time, what an experience.

3. Dredd: fucking awesome Shocked
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuber- meh

Crawl- Much better than you think it is.

For Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1418092#1418092
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Missing Link wrote:
Stuber- meh

For the last week the big hubbub in Chicago is that there is an alligator in a lagoon in one of the city's largest parks. They've been trying to capture it but haven't been able to as of now... part of me kept thinking it was going to turn out to be a marketing campaign for this movie.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Stuber- meh

For the last week the big hubbub in Chicago is that there is an alligator in a lagoon in one of the city's largest parks. They've been trying to capture it but haven't been able to as of now... part of me kept thinking it was going to turn out to be a marketing campaign for this movie.

Would NOT surprise me. It seems right up Sam Raimi and Alexander Aja's alley.

For Sale:
Subcide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Missing Link wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking that might be the case.
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdman (2014)

Only watched because Emma Stone, most of her movies suck but she is hot especially as a bleached ex-junkie in Birdman. This is actually a decent movie but I found it rather depressing watching Keaton play a washed up broadway actor, it reminds me of Black Swan and I liked the drum soundtrack.

Nirvana (live in Australia 1992)

I watched this blurry youtube concert to see what I might have seen if I had gone to the NZ concert on this tour, I was a fan at the time but being only 15 and the only kid I knew who liked the band I didn't go, I still have magazines with tour posters advertising it.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Predator (1987) roughly 100,000 times. And to this day I STILL don't fully understand what is going on with the real reason Carl Weathers brought them there and what was with Hopper and the Green Berets from FT. Bragg. The whole politics scenario confuses me.

For Sale:
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Missing Link wrote:
Carl Weathers

Had the most authentic looking severed arm in 80s cinema. It jiggles and wiggles and niggles in slow motion. No more pushing pencils for the CIA.
alexyorkalive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midsommar. Fucking nuts. Loved it. Only a twat would consider it some kind of "attack" on paganism. It's just a fun film. Felt very original in places and BRILLIANTLY naturally acted with a stellar script. Very unexpected movie.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Los Bingueros", "Yo hice a Roque Balboa 3" and "Cristobal Colón: de oficio descubridor". Classic shit.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 2010 - The Year We Make Contact. A sequel to 2001 - A Space Odyssey. I didn't know this was even a thing.

Dana Elcar speaks with an out of place Russian accent to Roy Scheider about a space flight to... wait, Scheider? Scheider?? I thought it's Schneider. I soon realized I must have confused him with Rob Schneider. Roy Scheider, Rob Schneider. If they combine their powers they would become Roy Schneider, so I was half right.

So anyway.

MacGyver's boss suggests that Americans and Russians team up for a mission to Jupiter, where one of those mysterious black monoliths hangs around and the crew of the Discovery went missing. Rob Schneider seems to give not two fucks about an upcoming historical mission and does the annoying "you got x minutes to explain yourself" routine, and fails to keep track of his own schedule miserably too. He's Rob Schedule. Apparently, the Russians have the technology and the US has the know-how. This was 1984 so the cold war tension lingered in the atmosphere still, and instead of a race to Jupiter it becomes a cooperation. Maybe some years before the Russians could have spied the heck out of poor Americans and just headed out on their own, or settled their difference with a gentlemanly boxing match perhaps. While everyone gets along fine this time, we do get plenty of crjew mjembjers thjat sjound ljike thjis. Of course no one is really Russian. Not even Helen Mirren. Cyka blyat.

This is our past, but the future according to 1984, so it's fun to watch. Monitors are still CRT, but sometimes enormous, and resolutions are probably below 320x240 with few colours. No cellphones or flat screens anywhere and computers are still mostly keyboard operated. However, the guy who played Phoebe's dad on Friends does boot up a computer that displays the word "COD". Eerie! It's a friendly AI machine that responds with eloquence and sophistication when spoken to, just like a real person. It doesn't tell Phoebe's dad that he's a lagging hacker faggot. We do have working voice recognition now, and this movie wasn't too many years off about that, but in this universe computers are depicted as next to sentient beings that are alive and have worries about the decisions they make. You know, the kind of computer that second guesses your commands and inputs is probably going to be mighty fucking annoying to work with. "Dave, did you mean to open Firefox? I have certain concerns about this particular browser's latest update, which created a low-level incompatibility issue with uBlock according to 0,84% of the users". Yes, open the browser. "Could I interest you in the latest version of Edge? It has received a variety of new features from our overlords" No, just open goddamn Firefox! "Dave I'm afraid I don't appreciate the tone of your voice." So kind and considerate, but impossible to work with. You want computers to compute, not argue. Get back in there, Clippy. Did you know "computers" were originally mostly women who compiled, read and calculated data for projects and people like NASA? I wonder how that went.

Also, Ron Scheibert has dolphins as pets. Remember in the early 2000's when people used to keep dolphins as pets? In those open pools next to the kitchen? And moisture was not even an issue. And windows were shaped like rectal capsules. And lighting was piss poor. And haircuts were great. And people went to the beach with 5kg Toshiba laptops. Also we were no strangers to other planets and their moons in our solar system, but this is all based on Clarke's book or books which I haven't read, and the artistic visionaires of the movie. Actually 2010 moves pretty fast, we're in space pretty quickly trying to solve the Discovery and black monolith mystery in no time. The effects are rather nice here, relying on detailed miniature models and the surface of Europa, was it, looks as good as ever as well. Sunlight is always taken into consideration as objects are well lit on one side and pitch black on the other. Cool 80's 3D animations adorn the ship's screens, bringing to mind some kind of interplanetary submarine and its almost outdated tech. The computer(s) onboard are still very much of the Beepy McBeepface variety with scanners and control mechanisms that by 2010 would have been ancient.

I'm always interested in movies that do not tell you exactly what's going on or what something is. 2010 does this very well since the black monolith remains a mystery and we're left with just as many questions about in the end. Roy Scheisser tells us in the beginning that the smaller monolith man obtained is impervious to study and cannot be researched because of this. The two monoliths, later many more, all seem to have a proportional equivalence as well. Going against my preferences, I would have liked to know a little more about these black monoliths, knowing perfectly well how risky it is to reveal more about them. Interstellar I believe did a fine job with the tesseract mystery since you knew more about it in the end than you did in the beginning, but not everything was laid in front of the viewer and a scraps of information were left for interpretation. The monoliths probably work best seen as gateways. I can't remember the first film very well, but it went for the deep end in ways 2010 does not. Instead of introspective drama, 2010 works in the realm of space adventure, where the border into the unknown is never quite crossed, but the monolith's influence is brought closer to the crew. There's a possibility that the monoliths are actually hyperdeveloped lifeforms or machines, and the ending hints of something like this. Perhaps Phoebe's dad's way of saying computers are alive beings extends to the monoliths here as well.

My god Phoebe's dad is full of shit, but this movie is still pretty good. If you're into space mysteries then I would say it's an 8/10.
JDC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star

Really liked it! The ending was great!
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked 2010, the book is good too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 852, 853, 854 ... 865, 866, 867  Next
Page 853 of 867

Jump to: