P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 850, 851, 852 ... 865, 866, 867  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex_korrozia1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matango (1963) - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ysl4k

That was different. Mushrooms become you or vice versa. Basically Body Snatchers in the form of fungus. I had a few good laughs, not going to lie.
BREW HAMMER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Missing Link wrote:
Midsommar- A lengthy film about a small commune in Sweden with unique funeral practices and holiday customs & rituals. A little long and dongs galore for you red shoe boys out there. And I understand the bodies where skinned, but it still looked like rubber dummies.

I'm glad I didn't go see that shit show.
Mortado

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_korrozia1 wrote:
Matango (1963) - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ysl4k

That was different. Mushrooms become you or vice versa. Basically Body Snatchers in the form of fungus. I had a few good laughs, not going to lie.

Awesome non-Kaiju horror/scifi from Toho. Check out 1968s "Goke, Bodysnatcher from Hell" sometime.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched The Serpent And The Rainbow. A movie about who do you voodoo, bitch. Starring Bill "Pull my finger, man" Pullman. Directed by... Wes Craven? Again? You buy two movies in a half random fashion and they just both happen to be Wes Craven movies. What is it about me that beckons Wes Craven? Or which movies did Wes Craven not direct or produce? He's like the Peter Tägtgren of 80's horror.

Pullman plays a scientist who investigates the possible medical benefits of an infamous powder that can zombify people. At first, he's at the Amazonian rainforests trying to get a sample from some witch doctor, but before leaving, he's asked to have a taste of the witch doctor's medicine. This is a mistake that sends him spiraling into hallucinations and might work as an alternative way of looking at the events of the entire film, which could be the product of his mind only. Or maybe the movie is a supernatural journey filled with trapped souls, astral projection, zombies and spirit jaguars. In his hallucination, Pullman encounters a jaguar which I guess is supposed to represent his fighting spirit, a warrior within, something to draw power from in his battle against an evil voodoo magician or something. This is the second movie in a row for me where a spiritual entity has the name of an automobile. Wes Craven at this point was filthy rich so he likes sporty vehicles.

Pullman comes around from his mind journey and finds out that his pilot has been killed and he's stranded in the middle of the rainforest. Unless you're Bear Grylls, you are in deep trouble. But he makes it to the nearest townlike settlement after "200 miles through the Amazon, on foot, alone". Spank my ass and call me Patrick! That's 321,86 kilometers, exposed to the elements with minimal gear. But he pulled it off, he's a Pullman. He would become the president in the 90s and save the world with a jew and a black guy. Although then his animal spirit is an F/A-18 Hornet, a much more efficient spirit animal if you ask me. Jaguars are fast and able predators, but lack the devastating power of homing air-to-air missiles and the sting of an M61 Vulcan. But you can't fight metaphysical battles with proper equipment, so we need to settle on wild felines instead.

After his return, Pullman is sent to Haiti to investigate zombification for a medical company. Yes, a curious matter to dwell in, certainly, but how would turning people into zombies help anyone? Well of course having obedient slaves walking around and carrying out your wishes has a number of benefits, but they are not quite medical. The company says the powder could be chemically harnessed to work as a more reliable form of anesthesia, but a part of being a zombie is to be in a state of mental paralysis - your body functions but your mind becomes a passenger, trapped in a carnal vessile of the self. As an anesthetic, the powder would be a disaster. There have been cases where patients have remained conscious during operations due to failed anesthesia without any voodoo stuff, and the powder's effects are not any better. The company's representative says how tens of thousands of people die on the operating table each year and the solution to lives saved could lie in zombification. Or the active ingredients. Maybe. This movies tells us it's based on a true story, but if so the story might be no more wonderous than a story about a highly efficient hallucinogenic substance. Of course in an underdeveloped country like Haiti people don't understand that being possessed and being poisoned are separate things entirely.

I don't like how this movie takes place in Haiti. Pullman, while in Haiti, talks about a dark presence around him. Well that's a bit racist huh? Or maybe it's the fact that there is SHIT EVERYWHERE around you, it's hot and unsanitary, you can't trust a drop of drinking water, garbage is lying in piles in every corner, women are carrying turkeys (a tasty spirit animal) around like shopping bags and the local police is hellbent on shoving a baton up your ass because you stand out like a penguin skinny dipping in the Ganges that invokes this "dark presence" Pullman speaks of. Yeah you are indeed steeped in dark presence. A dark presence graced with titles such as E. coli, cholera and staphylococcus. Also Haitians, they are present in vast quantities, lurking, bartering, looking into the goddamn camera.

The voodoo bullshit is course among the stars of the movie. Among stars like the wonderful 1989 Batman's butler Michael Gough, Paul "the other cop from Terminator" Winfield and Zakes Mokae, someone you have seen doing this kind of stuff somewhere, I think. The haitian chick assisting Pullman is played some Liverpool fake, but all these actors are haitified for comedic effect. Terminator cop explains the influence that voodoo has - the x-treme dancers they see do not bleed or burn. Well I mean... you are mystifying some pretty basic things just because Haiti is involved. The dancers are performing acts like minor piercing and eating hot coal. A knitting pin through the cheek hardly causes bleeding in anyone and hot coals can be held in mouth or walked on as long as you don't munch it like an aghori. But for a sufficiently underdeveloped society, knitting pins are indistinguishable from magic. Yes, Haiti is a shithole country. It's a country stricken with poverty, corruption, disease and crime. According to some liberal ideas, this translates to a beautiful country with a rich and meaningful culture. They know French, but that's about it, I'm not seeing any Renault factories.

Was Bill Pullman always acting like this? His expressions are weird and he looks like he just came from the set of Spaceballs. Although everyone is a little goofy because of the haitification process enforced by Craven. The Liverpool fake Haiti chick looks alright for a dude and Zakes Mokae is appropriately bad for a bad guy, but he seems to obsess over Pullman and his quest for white powder. He shouldn't have to care this much. If you want to have your archaic voodoo beliefs by all means do, one vile of your precious zombie candy in someone else's hands shouldn't make much difference. But no, he puts a steel nail through Pullman's scrotum and haunts his dreams. This is another one of those movies where there could be a fight going on as witnessed, or it could be that Pullman's voyage started at the witch doctor's and only went to Haiti inside his own head. Although Pullman would then reveal his true colours because he imagined Haiti as a shithole. Didn't he know they speak French there? It's a beeee-autiful country!

I think there should have been more of these what is real and what is not scenes in this movie, because the ones there are, are alright. The cuddly jaguar is stupid, but the ending takes a peek into a drugged up madness that works as further proof of events not actually taking place. The Terminator cop says whatever happens happens only in Pullman's mind which I guess is pretty definitive. But Haitians don't know what they're doing half the time and would love to mystify the arrangement of spots on a ladybug if it helped to bring back the dead. And imaginary Haitians are even worse, they leave their shit laying in broad daylight and probably assume some zombie will be happy to collect it. In 2010 even God got fed up with their voodoo antics. How are we doing in California?

It's an ok movie but way too Haiti and not enough horror. In reality, it's probably horror in the most true sense of the word, just not how Craven intended. I see a hopeless country with people who don't know any better, and a practically non-zombie film on top of it. It's not bad, just not that good either. More viscera and scenes like Terminator cop throwing his own head, then we're on to something.

I'll give it... 6.H8ti.
rbrnflms

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is gonna be the few good movies released this year? 3 From Hell is the only one im aware of that im looking forward to./ and Tesla with Ethan Hawke.
Mortado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbrnflms wrote:
So what is gonna be the few good movies released this year? 3 From Hell is the only one im aware of that im looking forward to./ and Tesla with Ethan Hawke.

As a shameless Tarantino fanboy I am really looking forward to "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood." Despite the CG gator "Crawl" could be decent, the pairing of Raimi and Aja is intriguing to me. That's about it as far as I am concerned.
Lundamyri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight: Ghost Stories (2017)
Death Kvlt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortado wrote:
rbrnflms wrote:

As a shameless Tarantino fanboy I am really looking forward to "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood." Despite the CG gator "Crawl" could be decent, the pairing of Raimi and Aja is intriguing to me. That's about it as far as I am concerned.

I'm a sucker for creature/monster movies, so I'm looking forward to Crawl
Concrete Human Torture

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched The Mutilator from 1985 this weekend. What a fun little gory slasher movie that was.
axebix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praznik (1967)
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete Human Torture wrote:
Watched The Mutilator from 1985 this weekend. What a fun little gory slasher movie that was.

Not sure if he still is, but a few years back , the writer director, Buddy Cooper was selling original one sheet posters (signed) and 7" vinyl of the song "fall break" from the film.

For Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1418092#1418092
cochino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.D.S. wrote:

Der Goldene Handschuh
Nice, I didn't know this existed. It was about time good ol' Fritz got a movie of his own Cool
JDC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midsommar

I definitely recommend this movie. Great setting, camera work, story and all that. If you liked Hereditary, you’ll probably like this.
Ostara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDC wrote:
Midsommar

I definitely recommend this movie. Great setting, camera work, story and all that. If you liked Hereditary, you’ll probably like this.

After reading the following article i can see some forum members having problems with this movie Very Happy

http://www.renegadetribune.com/new-horror-film-midsommar-by-subversive-jew-demonizes-european-heathens/
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbrnflms wrote:

I'm really looking forward to "The Lighthouse" by Robert Eggars, the guy who made The Witch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 850, 851, 852 ... 865, 866, 867  Next
Page 851 of 867

Jump to: