P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What's supposedly wrong with records produced at GZ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
born of the abyss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: What's supposedly wrong with records produced at GZ? Reply with quote

I remember all these years that I'm visiting this forum people and eclectic label chiefs complaining what a shithole GZ is.

I can barely remember having problems with vinyls produced at GZ (or by GZ brokers) while,on the contrary,I can remember having issues (heavy surface noise etc) with many other records produced at other plants.

I am not an audiophile,I can not have my personal Abbey Road studio inside my house and I will always be listening to music using my simple Phillips hi-fi system and my simple Proj-ect turntable (at least I change stylus often!)

I am writing all this after listening to another glorious non-GZ production wich produces heavy surface noise and pops and FINALLY skips! (god bless!)

I believe that sound quality is mainly a matter of the recording itself and of mixing/mastering procedures.

Am I wrong?
Grief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think over the years things have in general changed for the better.

In the olden days there were some problems with quality control - center labels on wrong side, glue falling apart, that annoying vinyl dust on some color processes etc.

But to be fair there were also more short-run releases being put out without a test press and bigger labels just throwing a cd version of a release at GZ and letting them transfer via DMM.

I think overall things are good these days, though I have not personally pressed there for a few years. AFAIK these days the issue is waiting in line behind the really big labels that are pressing large volumes there.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Grief_Foundation
patientot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people think GZ pressings are bad, they ought to buy a bunch of records pressed at Rainbo and United.

Main complaints I see alll time about GZ have to do with people not liking DMM cuts and the records being filthy out of the package.

Not everything from GZ has to be DMM either. They can process a lacquer cut but many labels won't bother to do one (more $) or don't even know how to go about it.
slutvomit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this, whether it be GZ related or not. Every time I buy a recently released record. there's about a one-in-three chance it's either warped or I'm shoveling sand off it. Only had this problem in the past year.
rthdx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GZ are not offering lacquer cuts themselves for some years already, correct me if I'm wrong and that's just lowlife labels around which stick to DMM. They do work ok for corporative clients (labels pressing a bunch and regularly re-pressing stuff) and brokers, but are pure hell for small/individual orders. I remember an old story how US label Cathedral Ruins tried to press Funeral Frost (Swe) 7" EP in amount of 300, I think. And in the end received a pressing with some Italian folk music on it (with FF labels). And never even got any reply from them for that reclamation, which was the end of the label.
youtube
discogs
Grief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used them years ago I sent in lacquers cut elsewhere and always worked via a broker. Trying to remember which records were done there - I think AoA Landline via Pirates press, Maniak - Satanik Barako pic disc EP via PP too and possibly the Women in Tragedy lp via Mobineko IIRC.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Grief_Foundation
Xapas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience:

- Morta Skuld - Serving Two Masters 12"EP: pressed at GZ (through a broker) - everything OK;

- Malevolent Creation - Envenomed 12" reissue: pressed at a german plant: not bad but no ok either...

- Decayed - The Burning Of Heaven 12": same german press, not ok....

In conclusion: our next release is going to be pressed at GZ...

www.lusitanianmusic.pt
http://www.lusitanianmusic.pt/store/en
www.facebook.com/lusitanianmusic
rthdx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lord my pressing plant is about 1 hour driving from me (via Moscow traffic) since 2013. Cool Yeah, I cannot press fancy colours and 7-10" (yet?), but at least I have in my service vintage mastering/cutting/pressing equipment (approx. of about 1M $ worth), and my records are pressed by guys working in white gloves under control of PhD in Applied Chemistry of Polymers. Smile I'm not even speaking they never use any re-cycled ore... Not very cheap in the end, but zero profanation of the format (and absolute quality control). Wink
youtube
discogs
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slutvomit wrote:
I will say this, whether it be GZ related or not. Every time I buy a recently released record. there's about a one-in-three chance it's either warped or I'm shoveling sand off it. Only had this problem in the past year.

The sand thing which isn't sand at all. If you notice, most people who complain about the sand, purchased a haze color vinyl. The "sand" is actually vinyl from the hazing process...not sand. And like all new records, you should clean before you play it.
Backwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that 1 out of around 10 records I get that are GZ pressed are scratched even though they are brand new and never even played. Often very dirty, tons of static, and lots of surface noise.

Whatever the German plant that Van Records, DTB, No Colours, Galakthorrö, Napalm Records, etc uses produces the best records. No scratches ever. No static or dust on the records. And the sound quality is noticeably better with virtually no surface noise, even on colored LP's. If I ever press my own record which I would like to in the future, I am definitely finding a German plant to press it. I don't care how much more it costs.
PsychicViolence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use Gotta Groove/Cascade or a smaller boutique US plant when possible, but I've never had any issues with the quality of pressings from GZ, always making sure it wasn't done with a DMM cut (sounds plasticky) and getting test presses. Rather, my issue is with them never once meeting their own promised delivery date, even without any sort of complications with test presses, etc. Been on and seen multiple tours where the release the band was supposed to be touring around didn't exist even when the bands had built in a decent buffer period with the release vs the tour.
FallenEmpire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- They default to DMM and seemingly don't explain the difference between DMM and lacquer cutting to their brokers, and then label people make records using this cheaper process that DOES impact sonic elements.

- They sent me a 500 copy finished press with an obvious error on EVERY SINGLE COPY. The error existed 30 seconds into the A Side of the first song. That tells me a lot about their QC.

---

Just a few things recently. I've had other issues in the past. They're not terrible, but they do cut corners where they can and don't particularly care about smaller label since we are such a minor % of their business. I'm sure bigger labels have better experience with them.
Backwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me the difference between DMM versus Lacquer cutting? I understand the most obvious is the material used to cut the master, one is a hard master disc and one is soft respectively, but how does that affect the sound quality exactly?
ratoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychicViolence wrote:
I prefer to use Gotta Groove/Cascade or a smaller boutique US plant when possible

Gotta Groove are fantastic. Good quality and good people. (I also like that I can drive there and pick stuff up.)

Last time I picked up a release, they gave me a tour of the place - amazing to see all the machines working.
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="darkdescentrecords"]
slutvomit wrote:
And like all new records, you should clean before you play it.

+1 to this. I always clean every new record before playing with a Record Doctor V RCM and I never really have issues unless there is an actual pressing fault (which is rare). If you've ever seen Youtube videos of a pressing plant, you'll see it's not exactly a cleanroom environment. If you are into vinyl at all you should own a record cleaning machine (or at the very least a SpinClean type device)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: