P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Post-Euronymous Mayhem
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The best post-Euronymous Mayhem album?
Wolf's Lair Abyss
48%
 48%  [ 72 ]
Mediolanum Capta Est
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Grand Declaration of War
7%
 7%  [ 11 ]
Chimera
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Ordo ad Chao
31%
 31%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 148

GagaISM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Post-Euronymous Mayhem Reply with quote

I was quick to write off (later) Mayhem back in 2000 when Grand Declaration of War came out. So yesterday I finally decided to DL their post-Euronymous discography and gave all the albums from Wolf's Lair Abyss to Ordo Ad Chao a listen. Some of the stuff I heard was actually surprisingly good and quite prophetic stylistically when you see what a lot of the modern Black Metal (DsO etc) bands are doing today. I'm still not a fan of Maniac's annoying vocals and there's no doubt that these albums somehow do have the myth of the band against them. But when doing it right, like in some moments on Chimera, they do have a little bit of that "erie something" found on DMDS (maybe it's Hellhammers drumming or the riffs Snorre wrote for this album?). So looking past all the history and the bullshit, has Mayhem in the last 15 years been getting a little more shit than they deserved?
harmless

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. Although I would like to say that Maniac's vocals on WLA were hysteric and worked well there. A perfect way to make it clear that this album represented a new beginning, not just a continuation of that which came before.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf's Lair Abyss is great. The only other post-Euronymous Mayhem I've heard was Ordo ad Chao and it sucked.
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none is good but Ordo ad Chao is kinda weird and cool.

Grand declaration sucks, and so does Hellhammers drum triggers.
Evaldo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before into_the_pit the kraut queer fags up the thread with yet another sad chapter of senile fanboyism, I'd like to answer this

Quote:
has Mayhem in the last 15 years been getting a little more shit than they deserved?

no it hasnt. WLA was semi-decent for what it was worth (it was brutal enough if anything), everything that followed was a joke so the bashing is well deserved. Maniac's annoying singing wasn't even the main issue seen as things didnt change much when Attila was called back in the ranks, it's the lack of interesting riffs that makes it unbearable for me.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem was always more than just the music and that was Euronymous. If Hellhammer had left, it could still have been "the true" Mayhem, Necrobutcher wasn't around and it was still "the true" Mayhem. It's not the same band that recorded DMDS so the music wasn't ever going to be really Mayhem. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is still one of the, if not THE, best Black Metal record of all time. Mayhem Mach II has always been a seperate entity as far as I'm concerned and a pretty shite one at that.
ADB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still quite like WLA, the rest is mostly pretty shitty, haven't heard that last one yet though
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig Ordo quite a bit though it is a bit difficult to digest. Chimera is good to besides the horrible plastic drum sound.
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf's Lair Abyss is decent. Couldn't give a fuck about the rest
wasteland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VnholyCvntz wrote:
Wolf's Lair Abyss is decent. Couldn't give a fuck about the rest
Voidhanger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
Mayhem was always more than just the music and that was Euronymous. If Hellhammer had left, it could still have been "the true" Mayhem, Necrobutcher wasn't around and it was still "the true" Mayhem. It's not the same band that recorded DMDS so the music wasn't ever going to be really Mayhem. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is still one of the, if not THE, best Black Metal record of all time. Mayhem Mach II has always been a seperate entity as far as I'm concerned and a pretty shite one at that.

Bingo.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf's Lair Abyss

"You can't hide the hook!"
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem Mach II has always been a seperate entity as far as I'm concerned and a pretty shite one at that.

This sums it up for me as well.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Hørus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Declaration of War is a masterpiece.

Chimaira & OaC are also great albums. Never get into Wolf's Lair Abyss.
2014 list (Seth, SFE, Satanic Warmaster, Blut Aus Nord, Sunn O))), Shining, Celestia, Mz.412, Hellfest, ...) : http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=814863#814863
Exitium

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word for word.

Blutkvlt wrote:
Wear your cunted out black metal shirts while practicing occult rituals like burning sage and posting quotes from Aleister Crowley on facebook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: