P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Post-Euronymous Mayhem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The best post-Euronymous Mayhem album?
Wolf's Lair Abyss
48%
 48%  [ 72 ]
Mediolanum Capta Est
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Grand Declaration of War
7%
 7%  [ 11 ]
Chimera
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Ordo ad Chao
31%
 31%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 148

GagaISM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
[b]De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is still one of the, if not THE, best Black Metal record of all time.

I agree with this sentiment 100%, and it seems obvious that Euronymous was the ideological mastermind behind the second wave. But calling later Mayhem "just music" is a very subjective statement at best. Everyone are of course entitled to have their own opinions and i'm just playing the devils advocate here. But I do find it interesting how a lot people merely regard Necrobutcher, Hellhammer and even Maniac as disposable session members. Excluded from the myth. Must be pretty frustrating when you have spent 20+ years in a band. Including starving in that shitty old house and having 2 friends dying on you. That's a lot of investment, and hell even Attila gets more respect for that 1 week he spent in Norway back in 1993. Jon Metalions support of the "new" Mayhem is quite interesting in this regard, as he has been close to the band all the way through.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the "new" Mayhem has its legitimacy in the person of Necrobutcher, who is a founding member and was at least involved in the lyrical concept from the beginning.

For me personally, the "true" Mayhem ceased to exist on 10. August 1993 and even though the stuff without Euronymous may be musically advanced, I don't care for it.
GagaISM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gylve Fenriz Nagell of Darkthrone:

For me, Maniac was a familiar name as long back as in 1987 when his eminent DAMAGE INC magazine was one of the first underground fanzines that I would buy. He would also do the vocals on what is for me the most important Mayhem album – ‘Deathcrush’ – that was totally insane.

Then he disappeared for some time, but came crashing back to the black-metal scene in 1994 at the height of the turbulent times. Couldn’t have been easy to do that! It could be that he never found his place in Mayhem, but that was never the intention, was it? That such a turbulent band has been one of the most tenacious black-metal bands is nothing short of a wonder – they are the only band to outlive Darkthrone, despite touring massively.

Lately, we’ve been having more contact than ever before, and I bet that both Maniac and Mayhem will survive anything.

Best,

Gylve Fenriz Nagell

Fenriz opinion for whatever that is worth.

Last edited by GagaISM on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLA if anything
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordo ad Chao is superb, Wolf's Lair Abyss is great too...don't really care about the rest
OldLadyDriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When comes the Die hard edition of fenris' statement...
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordo Ad Chao is one of my favorite black metal albums. I bet if it was the same album released by a different band people here would be crazy for it. It is a dense, evil sounding record and every instrument it played with lots of emotion. Illuminate Eliminate especially is a total masterpiece.
hevosrunkkari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hørus wrote:
Grand Declaration of War is a masterpiece.

Precisely.

Never got into WLA either, boring and single layered album. GDoW is one of my favorite, interesting and fresh songwriting which pisses people off, great! Chimera is also a great solid album, though its lacking hit songs. OAC is more complicated, songwriting shines here but sound is absolute horrendous, in a bad bad way. Murky sound just dont fit nowadays Mayhem at all, with better sound this could be one of the best. Still, enjoyable album.

Thats my honest opinion.
Exitium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
I bet if it was the same album released by a different band people here would be crazy for it.

You're absolutely right. But OAC a major disappointment purely because Mayhem had once represented more than just some "great riffs".

Blutkvlt wrote:
Wear your cunted out black metal shirts while practicing occult rituals like burning sage and posting quotes from Aleister Crowley on facebook.
doiken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kinda have a soft spot for grand declaration. maybe because it was so "innovative and radicals" when it first came out. but overall, mayhem after dmds is pretty much a different band.
Urfe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i enjoy Wolf's Lair, GDoW and Ordo, Chimera still does not appeal to me even after the amount of times i have tried to like it.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
For me personally, the "true" Mayhem ceased to exist on 10. August 1993 and even though the stuff without Euronymous may be musically advanced, I don't care for it.

THIS.
Grafvolluth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if Wolfs Lair Abyss should be counted among the others. It was just ment to be a farewell release. Nothing was supposed to come after it. It was supposed to be the survivng members paying tribute to Euro. It's essentially the quotation mark after the exclamation point. Nothing after that even remotely makes any sense
GagaISM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting yet not surprising that most people prefer Wolf's Lair Abyss and Ordo Ad Chao. Besides the fact that they share the most elements with DMDS I think there's more to it than that. The fact that Wolf's Lair Abyss came out before the internet really boomed might be one of them. I had personally very little knowledge of Mayhem's history back in 1997 and that goes for a lot of people I know. So the whole "Euronymous" was Mayhem thing only came into play later on when some of us ventured into cyberspace. This might not go for everyone as I'm sure a lot of people who were a little older had much more knowledge at the time. But I know quite a few who we're in the same boat as myself. As for Ordo Ad Chao I think Atilla is the main reason for it being held in higher regard. Deservedly so. His voice alone gave me immediate associations to DMDS. It makes me wonder how the new Mayhem would have been perceived if Attila had joined from the start.

Last edited by GagaISM on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Grafvolluth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GagaISM wrote:
It's interesting yet not surprising that most people prefer Wolf's Lair Abyss and Ordo Ad Chao. Besides the fact that shares the most elements with DMDS I think there's more to it than that. The fact that Wolf's Lair Abyss came out before the internet really boomed might be one of them. I had personally very little knowledge of Mayhem's history back in 1997 and that goes for a lot of people I know. So the whole "Euronymous" was Mayhem thing only came into play later on when some of us ventured into cyberspace. This might not go for everyone as I'm sure a lot of people who were a little older had much more knowledge at the time. But I know quite a few who we're in the same boat as myself. As for Ordo Ad Chao I think Atilla is the main reason for it being held in higher regard. Deservedly so. His voice alone gave me immediate associations to DMDS. It makes me wonder how the new Mayhem would have been perceived if Attila had joined from the start.

I dont think anything short of a gun would have stopped Hellhammer from adding his jazz fills every 4rth measure, or triggering his drums to the point of total retardation, or taking off his bandana. I think Ordo Ad Chao was the first time he tried to take into account whatever he's doing, wasn't working and let Attila take over most production. Too bad the damage had already been done and they couldn't help making a heavily muted dark jazz record. Still, Its the only post euro album that doesn't sound like total nothingness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: