P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Watain - The Vinyl Reissues - 4lp Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
throneofmight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaklingone wrote:
I think people who fall on extremes for this band are just trying to aggravate others. The band is neither spectacular nor terrible from an objective perspective (i.e. solid musically, but pretty unoriginal). CL was a Mayhem worship album, solid stuff if you are into the 'orthodox' sound, but I can see why some people see the whole movement as being boring since many bands tend to sound very same-y (like a lot of swedeath). The newer albums are admittedly a bit more original musically (although still fundamentally derivative of Mayhem and Dissection), but personally the production sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry, grass grow, etc. thereby sucking all the enjoyment out of listening to Lawless and Sworn. Hating on them for being successful is pretty silly as we all know the days of the "true underground" (whatever that means) are obviously long gone, and if message boards make up the modern underground, well that is just pathetic.

Vis-a-vis the comment about Erik changing perspectives on his own band/the underground since 2001. I don't think it is at all hard to understand why stuff like that happens, even in the Judas Iscariot case. People grow up, if you don't evolve your perspective in 9 years, you are more or less braindead. In the case of Watain, of course they would tailor their perspective to their own growing fame simply because if you dedicate your life to making music (especially extreme metal), belonging to the underground is essentially thankless beyond maintaining one's own integrity, which is not enough for 90% of human beings on earth as evidenced by an increasingly corrupt capitalist society.

My opinion is that at least they are making reasonably OK music for how famous they have become, especially considering all the bands that have sold out to a much more extreme degree to receive even a fraction of the praise/success. They are fun to see live, but I sold both Sworn and Lawless a few months after buying them. It would be great if people could stop being antagonist shitheads about this kind of stuff, but then again metal fans are ultimately humans who are of course almost all ignorant at the end of day. So I like to kick back, drink a beer, and laugh at the stupid shit people post on this board especially when it comes to bands like this.

Totally agree!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
My main issue with them is that they used to be absolutely uncompromising in their ways: absolute violence and blood/fire/death (dead animals) on stage to adequately support their beliefs and behaviours. These days, though perhaps their spiritual background is still there, it's all show and business. Special releases? Better make that an extremely over-the-top package. 10 year anniversary? 13 year anniversary? Release of the new album? Better make that an absolutely over-the-top show. Sure, I'm all for special occasion shows and whatnot, but these guys just come off as tryhards who try to appear extreme and evil when in fact they're trying sell more albums and "shock". Whatever that word means now..

This.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabid Death's Curse DLP seems to be sold out... guess I'll have to hope it shows up in other distros, or just settle for the picturedisc I already have.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in Canada or the United States below have their copy shipped yet ?
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became a fan of Watain after their bassist stabbed a sleeping tourmate.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Anyone in Canada or the United States below have their copy shipped yet ?

I got the shipping confirmation this morning. But the mail has been slow as fuck lately. I'm waiting on a ton of shit.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
My main issue with them is that they used to be absolutely uncompromising in their ways: absolute violence and blood/fire/death (dead animals) on stage to adequately support their beliefs and behaviours. These days, though perhaps their spiritual background is still there, it's all show and business. Special releases? Better make that an extremely over-the-top package. 10 year anniversary? 13 year anniversary? Release of the new album? Better make that an absolutely over-the-top show. Sure, I'm all for special occasion shows and whatnot, but these guys just come off as tryhards who try to appear extreme and evil when in fact they're trying sell more albums and "shock". Whatever that word means now.

Look at bands like Marduk. Sure, they're on Century Media now and sure they have their ups and downs, but they still make excellent Black Metal, have an uncompromising Satanic attitude, put out decent shows everytime I see them and don't try to shock or be the next lady GaGa. And I bet they sell more albums than Watain do.

So putting dead shit all over the stage was cool when they didn't have elaborate album packaging but now that they do it's just a gimmick to sell more albums? I've seen them live 5 times over the years in various countries, first show was as good as the last.
skeletor666

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watain could have released one great lp with the help of a time machine .

all the albums are hit and miss song wise , they can be CMs DIMMU BORGIR NOW.

i think ondskapt are a much better band from the same generation
Dusted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blood and gore,lyical content and ideology and a stage show that is exactly what their fanbase would crave is all well and good,but god forbid you make money off that. Only starvation is real. While we are on that point,while many bands in this movement got more Dissonant and unlistenable,Watain brought the METAL back into Black Metal,and for this I hail them. They are tryin to become the Slayer of the next generation,the band with totally satanic outlook that still featured in magazines and articles that can be found not just in the underground. I dont see the problem with this.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusted wrote:
blood and gore,lyical content and ideology and a stage show that is exactly what their fanbase would crave is all well and good,but god forbid you make money off that. Only starvation is real. While we are on that point,while many bands in this movement got more Dissonant and unlistenable,Watain brought the METAL back into Black Metal,and for this I hail them. They are tryin to become the Slayer of the next generation,the band with totally satanic outlook that still featured in magazines and articles that can be found not just in the underground. I dont see the problem with this.

100% agreed. Potentially they're the only classic band of the present generation but of course there's no way faggots who don't like heavy metal and collect demotapes of Ukrainian UG rubbish can ever understand that.
Dusted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best to remain misanthropic and anonymous and hidden. Then at the right time reveal ourselves...like VON

Twisted Evil
skeletor666

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusted wrote:
best to remain misanthropic and anonymous and hidden. Then at the right time reveal ourselves...like VON

Twisted Evil
to become the next slayer they need to records at least five albums of great songs with no filler ,something i think watain are incapable of and their media whoring is testament to this

.surely the media should be after the band not the other way around
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeletor666 wrote:
Dusted wrote:

Twisted Evil
to become the next slayer they need to records at least five albums of great songs with no filler ,something i think watain are incapable of and their media whoring is testament to this

.surely the media should be after the band not the other way around

Well said.
Descension

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyosefx wrote:
Rabid Death's Curse DLP seems to be sold out... guess I'll have to hope it shows up in other distros, or just settle for the picturedisc I already have.

Fuck, I hope HHR gets copies...
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Dusted wrote:

100% agreed. Potentially they're the only classic band of the present generation but of course there's no way faggots who don't like heavy metal and collect demotapes of Ukrainian UG rubbish can ever understand that.

So a band that rides the dicks of Mayhem and Dissection is perfectly fine with you and may even be considered a classic in your eyes. The whole orthodox trend is cool, right?

But bands who heavily sound like Incantation, Blasphemy, Entombed/Dismember or whoever else are "3rd rate clones no one should give a shit about!"

You're so full of shit Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: