P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

any thoughts on Dark Funeral?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eigenbrötler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a place in my heart for DF. I was 12 or 13 when I first heard them... It's not the best nor was it life changing but I still enjoy Diabolis Interium every know and then for nostalgia
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Only the first MCD and Secrets of the Black Arts are worthy.

Stalinorgel wrote:
Thanks to the stupidity of Mr. Parland

Hah. There's a classic Proscriptor interview in Darkmoon #4 (or 5) where he unleashes all hate over Mr. Parland.

Scans or it didn't happen!

OK, I don't know anything about Parland personally, but I think he made better music than most ever achieve with Necrophobic and Infernal.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Oh yeah, Infernal's MCD is pretty good, much better than DF ever were!

Stalinorgel wrote:
IIIRD GATEKEEPER wrote:
NuclearGoatVomit wrote:
Eh, WAR is a whole different story.

Yep... and killer, even We Are War! But if we're talking about generic Swedish blastbeat black metal, The Abyss (Summon the Beast) and Algaion (Vox Clamentis MCD) shit all over Dark Funeral.

Just had that discussion about WAR yesterday: The EP is actually pretty good, but the full-length was very mediocre. Not to speak about the insane hype around this project...

I like the LP more today than I did when it was released... must have something to do with nostalgia/being jaded of most shit today.l

Don't you think the full-length is still quite of dubious quality, I mean it sounds like an unfinished demo, tracks fading out etc. Maybe Necropolis screwed the band and just went ahead with it... just speculating here of course.

LO wrote:
I always preferred Masse Broberg in Hypocrisy anyways.

Who doesn't? Wink

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIRD GATEKEEPER wrote:
Don't you think the full-length is still quite of dubious quality, I mean it sounds like an unfinished demo, tracks fading out etc. Maybe Necropolis screwed the band and just went ahead with it... just speculating here of course.

From what I remember from interviews back then, the band regarded the LP as a bootleg - or they were at least extremely dissatisfied with it.

I have a very weird split-tape of the EP together with USURPER - "Threshold of the Usurper", from Mystic Productions (licensed by Necropolis). Don't think this was approved by the band as well - but yes, only speculating here.

@Sacramentum-discussion:

Seems some people disagree with my opinion, maybe I heard the wrong records? Feel free to recommend me the right ones to start.

Last edited by Stalinorgel on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
csehszlovakze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S/t EP, SotBA and AEPE works for me but the rest of their discography is forgettable... and by the way, their Slayer cover sucks monkey balls.

my shitty metal blog
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed their VON cover. Otherwise this band is very painting-by-numbers Black Metal. The riffs are just too boring to my ears...
raskolnikhilov

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al things i dislike about BM rolled into one neat package.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Steken wrote:
When I was a kid, SOTBA was probably amongst the first ten or twenty black metal albums I bought -- I liked it, sure, but pretty quickly found better stuff.

........ Oh but shit, now I remember, this brings me back!

This one time on Swedish radio (P3) they were live-streaming full concerts from the Hultsfred festival, must have been '97-'98 or so, and I popped in a tape and recorded a Dark Funeral gig on the A-side, and a fucking Gravediggaz gig on the B-side!

Yes, that Gravediggaz -- the Wu-Tang Clan side-project.

That tape was fucking killer!

Next time I'm at my parents' place, I'll go digging for it... But mostly for the B-side, to be honest!

I was listening to Niggamortis on the way home from work last night, great album. Pretty much all those old Wu Tang side projects were killer.

check out deadly venoms. 3 female MCs.. wutang affiliated. funny when i first checked out their album i thought it was 3 little dudes rapping and was thinking man these kids can RAP for what sounded like 11 year olds before puberty.

Will check it out. I've been thrashing Tical, Only built for cuban linx and Liquid swords a lot lately. I guess its a strange thing getting into that stuff at the age of 33 in a way, but I can see the logic somewhat in that I was always into dub, drum n bass, glitch etc etc. Mostly just into the production on the early WU and side-projects, that combination of queasy beats and textures with slowed down/fucked up soul music samples.
into the pit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
@Sacramentum-discussion:

Seems some people disagree with my opinion, maybe I heard the wrong records? Feel free to recommend me the right ones to start.

check out far away from the sun and maybe the finis malorum mini. that's all I need by sacramentum.
AMK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make a compilation of all their "hits" and call it a day.
Evaldo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:

@Sacramentum-discussion:

No you're actually right, they just aren't anything special. Far away is at best a decent Dissection clone which was ignored back in the day, sure if you cant get enough of melodic Swedish stuff it might not be the worst choice but it's far from being memorable. It's a bit like post-Darkside Necrophobic, decent band by all means but hardly something you'll play more than twice in a year.
ImBlueIBelieveICanDie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need Masse Broberg/Caligula back in the band.
EARLGREYTEA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
probert wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Steken wrote:
When I was a kid, SOTBA was probably amongst the first ten or twenty black metal albums I bought -- I liked it, sure, but pretty quickly found better stuff.

........ Oh but shit, now I remember, this brings me back!

This one time on Swedish radio (P3) they were live-streaming full concerts from the Hultsfred festival, must have been '97-'98 or so, and I popped in a tape and recorded a Dark Funeral gig on the A-side, and a fucking Gravediggaz gig on the B-side!

Yes, that Gravediggaz -- the Wu-Tang Clan side-project.

That tape was fucking killer!

Next time I'm at my parents' place, I'll go digging for it... But mostly for the B-side, to be honest!

I was listening to Niggamortis on the way home from work last night, great album. Pretty much all those old Wu Tang side projects were killer.

check out deadly venoms. 3 female MCs.. wutang affiliated. funny when i first checked out their album i thought it was 3 little dudes rapping and was thinking man these kids can RAP for what sounded like 11 year olds before puberty.

Will check it out. I've been thrashing Tical, Only built for cuban linx and Liquid swords a lot lately. I guess its a strange thing getting into that stuff at the age of 33 in a way, but I can see the logic somewhat in that I was always into dub, drum n bass, glitch etc etc. Mostly just into the production on the early WU and side-projects, that combination of queasy beats and textures with slowed down/fucked up soul music samples.

I admit I was down with hip-hop when it was good ... Mobb Deep, Black Moon, early Nas, even Eric B & Rakim and Kool G Rap ... best Wu songs IMO involve Ghost & Rae - pure poetry when they are on a track together ... Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and Ironman are classics Very Happy
MRK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the first MCD and SOTBl. And after that, DF began to slide down towards the deepest shitpit. Sterile sound, stupid photos, boring music... Impotent...
Cross of Donar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini and first two albums (yes including 'Vobiscum') are very good albums. Everything after is not interesting at all. Recently watched this livevideo from them in Paris, it's embarrassingly bad, especially the speeches of Magus Caligula inbetween the songs, just ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: