P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Differences between Chthe'ilist and Zealotry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towards The Inevitable

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Differences between Chthe'ilist and Zealotry Reply with quote

TTI: Would you say that both Chthe’ilist and Zealotry address the same audience? if not, can you define what are subtle differences that create distinctiveness?

Phil Tougas: Yes they do, but both bands are completely different in their own right. From an aesthetic standpoint, both bands will share a few similarities, but if you look beneath the surface, both bands have a completely different mentality when it comes to the most basic parts of the music itself, be it the riffing, songwriting, structuring and even soloing. Zealotry is all about otherworldly counterpoint and offers a much wider palette of colors in its textured riffing than Chthe’ilist which relies on much simpler but punchier riffs drenched in a purely putrid and nightmarish aura. The solos in Zealotry are a tad more fusion-influenced and much more chaotic, sometimes even atonal, while the solos in Chthe’ilist are usually, but not always, more centered around harmonic minor melodies and always greatly influenced by ’80s metal in contrast. There are a few exceptions of course, the first solo in The Unmaking and the ending solo of Progeny Omega are total ’80s heavy metal/shrapnel records worship but that’s only because these sections specifically called for a more traditional style of soloing and obviously it is my personal influences shining through.

Full interview:
http://towardstheinevitable.com/zealotry-interview-2016/
swearengen

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been listening to The Last Witness. It's great.
Towards The Inevitable

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's the only available edition, but the one with slipcase looks amazing.
ars_notoria

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I've actually listened to the new Zealotry album more than Chthe’ilist because it seems to have more interesting moments for me. Both are great albums but "The Last Witness" is one of the best albums I've heard in a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: