P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Removing signatures from LP covers - how?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Removing signatures from LP covers - how? Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience how to remove signatures from LP covers without damaging the cover itself?
What's the best solution/method & less abrasive chemical to use against silver / black permanent markers ?

I suppose this also depends on the type of sleeve it was written on ; from shiny clear coat type (brand new LPs) to the older worn out cardboard sleeves (typically an 80's record)

I've heard everything from rubbing alcohol to nail polish to eucalyptus oil. .

What else you reckon ?
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing signatures from LP covers - how? Reply with quote

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:
Anyone have any experience how to remove signatures from LP covers without damaging the cover itself?
What's the best solution/method & less abrasive chemical to use against silver / black permanent markers ?

I suppose this also depends on the type of sleeve it was written on ; from shiny clear coat type (brand new LPs) to the older worn out cardboard sleeves (typically an 80's record)

What else you reckon ?

Try those "magic sponges" ("magic mushoorms" as they can be translated from finnish!) They can remove permanent marker from many places without damaging surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4v8PY6XX80
Crasse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use alcohol with a small piece of cotton, it works. Just take care if the jacket has matt lamination, otherwise there should be no problem.
Subcide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to remove the signature if it was signed by a member of the band who played on the album?
exorientelux

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:
Why would you want to remove the signature if it was signed by a member of the band who played on the album?

Some people use to mark their LP's by signing them with their name. It is always a bummer if you buy a 2nd hand LP with someones name on it. Permanent marker usually can be removed with a bit ethanol on cotton, as Crasse mentioned. It's even more annoying if someone has written with a biro on it. I guess in this case there is no gently way for removing?
Snark Shark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exorientelux wrote:
Subcide wrote:

Some people use to mark their LP's by signing them with their name.

mmm-hmm! I've found LPs, CDs, and cassettes like that! I've always wondered what the point was. If you loose it, how would someone who doesn't know who you are get it back to you, anyway?
Funestus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But often you would borrow it to your mates and never get it back... So that would be a reminder of who was the owner.
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:

It's not a band member's name i'm trying to remove. .
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
I always use alcohol with a small piece of cotton, it works. Just take care if the jacket has matt lamination, otherwise there should be no problem.

Yeah , i'm very surprised the matte lamination finish is not cooperating much. That ink is holding on tight. Thought it was gonna come right off compared to a normal cardboard sleeve. .
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Removing signatures from LP covers - how? Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:
HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:

What else you reckon ?

Try those "magic sponges" ("magic mushoorms" as they can be translated from finnish!) They can remove permanent marker from many places without damaging surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4v8PY6XX80

Never heard of these
Will look into them!
absurdexposition

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a record store and we use lighter fluid and cotton pads. The lighter fluid doesn't damage the cover, you can dump the whole bottle on there and it will evaporate and any discolouration will go away before too long.

Success rate definitely depends on what kind of material the cover is made out of. In a lot of cases you will find that you will be rubbing away the image before the signature is gone, but at the very least you will have dulled the look of the writing before that point.

You can also try a white eraser, though that's more for treating ringwear (esp. on white covers).
Uncolored

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funestus wrote:
But often you would borrow it to your mates and never get it back... So that would be a reminder of who was the owner.

my parents records all have their names. my mom told me that when there was a dance party in the 60's all the people bring records and that was the way to collect them back.
I know people that still does that nowadays

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Subcide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:
Subcide wrote:

It's not a band member's name i'm trying to remove. .

Thanks for clarifying Cool
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason this reminds me of a guy at school who would only lend you an album if you borrowed him one in return, he would also only play his vinyls once to record them onto tape, then listen to the tape, so you'd get a taped version and he'd borrow your original LP to tape it, maybe he had something going on threre after all.

It's worth noting he had a mental breakdown in his early twenties, not sure if it's related.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a big pile of cd's to gym. Dont listen them at home anymore but dont want anyone to steal them neither. So now there is circulating Wolfpack and Iron Maiden cd's which are signed by this mysterious "Oranen", with big permanent marker, straight to the front cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: