P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Vinyl and turn table maintenance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MortalCoil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Vinyl and turn table maintenance Reply with quote

What do you use to keep your vinyl and turntable in condition? Post links / tips / etc.

More precisely, I'm about to buy this record brush and wondering if others have any reviews of such a thing.

[ side note: I couldn't find the thread about this that was here years back, has there been an update to phpBB with a better search yet? ]
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these on the stylus to knock off any dust in between every flip of a record, and I hit the record itself with one of these before playing it. Once you get into a routine it becomes second nature, and it goes a long way toward preserving your records and stylus. Very Happy

Check out my sale-thread HERE!
NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stylus cleaner is a bit different, but I use the same for my records, it's very good indeed. Of course there's nothing like a good vacuum clean though.
drinks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPI 16.5 with Mobile Fidelity cleaning fluids, new Mobile Fidelity antistatic inner sleeves for vacuum cleaned records and an Audioquest brush for the occasional bit of dust that may get on a cleaned records. For uncleaned records I use a Hunt brush as it tends to gather more crap in the center between the rows of carbon fiber. Onzow Zerodust for stylus cleaning after every few records with the occasional gentle use of a MoFi stylus brush to get anything that may begin to accumulate near the cantilever. Not a cheap solution but 100% worth it if you've got a lot of valuable records. For a cheaper solution, a MoFi brush and fluid wiped down with a nice, lint free microfiber cloth does a pretty decent job.

A properly maintained and aligned deck, tonearm and cart are more important in the end though. A cheap, dull or misaligned stylus; improperly calibrated tonearm etc will do a lot more damage than some dust and crud ever will. Clean records sound (way) better but a diamond can carve through / push aside most of that with ease you're just going to have a lot more surface noise. You could have your LPs cleaned to the archival standards of the Library of Congress but it won't matter if the playback equipment isn't up to snuff.
Ravenwreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone invented a record cleaning nozzle for a domestic vacuum cleaner?

This is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ojI6kG0iYM
NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vacuum cleaning machine is DIY and works like a charm. It is with a very powerful motor and the results are really amaizng. I am cleaning even brand new records.
My father made the machine.
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here store their records outside/behind the jacket instead of inside? Just curious as I've heard in the longterm it can help prevent ring-wear.

Check out my sale-thread HERE!
absurdexposition

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Hunt Eda Mk6 brush and Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner at home.

I used to have a VPI HW16.5 but I don't particularly find it of much value unless you're buying a lot of records that are quite dirty or moldy. We have one at work and only ever use it when we get large (multiple thousand) shipments of used Japanese records as the climate there, along with the plastic innersleeves, is more prone to having mold. It's super effect for that but for the average record you buy in a shop it's not worth the ~$600 price tag. Never clean new records with a machine.

I used to also own a Spin Clean and that was a complete waste of time and money.

We use a solution at work that is roughly 20% eyeglass cleaner and 80% rubbing alcohol, spray it on a cotton pad and wipe the records a few times. This isn't the best as the next few plays will be noisy but it does the trick.

As far as storage: I have started putting my LPs outside the sleeves but I'm not sure I'm really sold on the idea yet. We get collections in at work all the time, many have records that are 60+ years old and a lot of the times the covers are near mint. I think the key is to just store them upright and not jam too many in your shelf. The Library of Congress actually suggests using shelves that have dividers every 6 inches. The Ikea shelves most of us use are every 14 or so inches.

For 7"s and my distro, and at the shop I work at (basically everything that is set up in a "flip" system as opposed to a spine system like LPs on an Ikea shelf) I put the outersleeves so that the opening is where the opening of the record cover is. Especially for 7"s this helps prevent the top of the covers from getting frayed after countless fingers flipping through them. Inner sleeves are always placed inside with the opening facing up.
RIDRID

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsbearsbears wrote:
Does anyone here store their records outside/behind the jacket instead of inside? Just curious as I've heard in the longterm it can help prevent ring-wear.

I do and have been doing it for the past ten years. It seems to prevent
ring wear, though records accumulate more dust.

My friend recommended using anti-static cling sheets to remedy this.
I dunno.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsbearsbears wrote:

As long as you're not storing your records too tightly in the shelf, you're not going to get ring wear from putting the LP inside the jacket. Speaking for myself, if it's a regular jacket single LP, I put the record in the jacket (but if it's like Teitanblood's Seven Chalices, I put them behind the jacket... If it's a gatefold, I'll put it in the gatefold.
Ravenwreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
bearsbearsbears wrote:

As long as you're not storing your records too tightly in the shelf, you're not going to get ring wear from putting the LP inside the jacket.

What would be the optimum number per IKEA shelf? I just did a rough count of 60/70 per cube - not many gatefolds in each - Thing is, when they don't move and stay vertical I think they're too tight and leaning I worry if too much weight in one direction.
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwreck wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
bearsbearsbears wrote:

As long as you're not storing your records too tightly in the shelf, you're not going to get ring wear from putting the LP inside the jacket.

What would be the optimum number per IKEA shelf? I just did a rough count of 60/70 per cube - not many gatefolds in each - Thing is, when they don't move and stay vertical I think they're too tight and leaning I worry if too much weight in one direction.

I would say anywhere from 50-60 is a safe number. It depends on the thickness of the packaging really. The records should be tight enough to stand up vertically but still easy enough to pull out one at a time.
MortalCoil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwreck wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
bearsbearsbears wrote:

What Ikea shelf did you get? This one http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40275813/ ? And how do you like it?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attic Snake wrote:
Ravenwreck wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
bearsbearsbears wrote:

I would say anywhere from 50-60 is a safe number. It depends on the thickness of the packaging really. The records should be tight enough to stand up vertically but still easy enough to pull out one at a time.

Yep, this exactly. Amount per cube depends on amount of gatefolds/double albums etc, but if you follow this general rule of thumb you'll be fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: