P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

First use of a drum machine in Black Metal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Under Command

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: First use of a drum machine in Black Metal Reply with quote

I was listening to "Woman of Dark Desire", and tremendously wondering if that double bass drum was real or not.

Which lead me to 2 questions :

-Who did the drums on "Under The Sign of The Black Mark"

-Was Quorthon the first dude to use a drum machine for Black Metal ? If yes, who else ? If not, who ?
sztorm75

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that drum machine on Under The Sign was Witchunter from Sodom
Naekrospavvn

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the first ones were Outrage from Germany or Bestial from France (both in 1985).
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=756867#756867
alexyorkalive

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sztorm75 wrote:

Don't think that's correct. I think I read that he just rehearsed and then left again because it wasn't working out.

Anyone know for sure? Always wondered about the drummers/machines on Bathory records.
Guido

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naekrospavvn wrote:
I guess the first ones were Outrage from Germany or Bestial from France (both in 1985).

Never heard of this name from France. It was Death Metal?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
klaw

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bathory used a combination of real drums and a machine or something like that. Just start reading to find out: http://www.bathory.nu/x1.htm
I read it all once upon a time, but I can't remember exactly what it said.

Edit. Shame he didn't get to finish that history archive. At the time I was reading it, one day it was just this on the front http://www.bathory.nu/index.htm

Last edited by klaw on Sat May 10, 2014 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Naekrospavvn

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido wrote:
Naekrospavvn wrote:

Never heard of this name from France. It was Death Metal?!

more like primitive and monotone thrash metal but guitar sound somehow similar to VON. Rumors say that some Morsüre members were involved, but I doubt.
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=756867#756867
EternalNight

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexyorkalive wrote:
sztorm75 wrote:

Don't think that's correct. I think I read that he just rehearsed and then left again because it wasn't working out.

Anyone know for sure? Always wondered about the drummers/machines on Bathory records.

All I know is that when Witchunter was playing with Bathory the tjernobyl accidents occured. And Quorthon needed a laugh so he scared Witchunter saying shit like "there will be radioactivity all over germany" and therefore Witchunter flew home. This is atleast what Boss says.
They were rehearsing for gigs in fact.
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under The Sign... is actually the only Bathory that sounds like pure, live drums to my ears. They are quite typically 80s processed somewhat like Samhain's November.Coming.Fire or similar, but you can especially hear that they're real in Enter The Eternal Fire where cymbals ringing out and other small noises can be heard during down parts.

The others to me sound like a a mix of actual, sloppy drumming with overdubs from some sort of percussion pad or even a basic keyboard drum setting. They are certainly not a PROGRAMMED drum machine on the first few albums in any case.

BFD sounds like a Vdrum set, but then the toms sound very much live in some sections so probably overdubs here and there as well.

Hammerheart and up I'm assuming is pure Vdrums.

I personally believe that Bathory was a one-man affair from front to back and it was just too much of a threat to its career to reveal since I'm sure it was frowned upon a lot more back then. I'm assuming that the drumming being a patch work of real and percussion pad elements and so on is Quorthon learning to passably put down drum tracks as the band went along himself after a full line up fell apart after the Scandinavian Metal Attack session. The band obviously sounds vastly different (and tighter) prior to the first album, and he stated numerous times that the band broke up but due to the immense feedback of the compilation tracks, he continued.

Obviously that's a lot of assumptions, but it seems very plausible to me especially knowing what a giant ball of contradictions Quorthon has always been.
EternalNight

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there was a live drummer on BFD. He helped arranging the music.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this band?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtPo8Sa3NE
klaw

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Under the Sign (from chapter 7 of the history archives I linked):

"- And initially he was really not too keen about helping me out once he heard some of the guitar demos I had made. The pace of some of that material was relentless for those days, and he said he'd never be able to play that fast. But we soon realized that this was a recording, and there were enough natural stops here and there in the tracks for us to take a break, and then start recording again after a few minutes of rest. So that's how a lot of those tracks were recorded...in sections. And when he didn't like the sound of the snare or crash in one section, or thought that he had not been tight enough in some spots, he had great fun in trying to manually overdub bits here and there with a cheap drum machine. So though in doubt at first, I know that was a memorable and enjoyable experience for him. Which meant a lot when I would call him up for later albums."

It's really worth a read. Lots of info on how the albums were recorded... Like they only had one bass drum and pedal on the debut, so the double parts are played by hand, just to give an example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: