P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

SERPENT ASCENDING
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lukasz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: SERPENT ASCENDING Reply with quote

Coming from Helsinki, Finland, SERPENT ASCENDING is the dark projection of Jarno Nurmi, appreciated bass/guitar player and singer in bands like Slugathor, Desecresy, Nerlich, Night Must Fall, and Nowen.

Firmly rooted in the old school of death metal, but far from being another sterile revival of the late 80's/early 90's, Serpent Ascending started a peculiar creative process that allocates death metal into an inner - yet still nightmarish - dimension of the soul, where cavernous growls lay down on nervous and slanted guitar riffs, vertiginous bass grooves, sudden bursts of speed, and swampy slowdowns. Apparently simple and straight to the point, Serpent Ascending's music hides a remarkable work on subtle harmonies and flowing songwriting, with atmospheric nuances and intriguing details that crawl unseen into each song as well as in the listener's subconscious, bringing forth a hallucinating, twisted and occult vibe.

Serpent Ascending is the feverish, solipsistic delirium of an artist that renovates the true spirit and typical dark heaviness of Finnish death metal in his own, personal way.

http://www.i-voidhanger.com/serpent_ascending_the_enigma_unsettled.htm
I, Voidhanger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: SERPENT ASCENDING Reply with quote

Thanks for posting about the Serpent Ascending release!

I did a trade with Razorback Records, they will have copies very soon. They will also carry my previous release: Webegone Obscured, blackened funeral doom/death metal, suggested to those into Evoken and diSEMBOWELMENT.

European customers can buy direclty from me (a Serpent Ascending CD+Tshirt bundle is available), Xtreem Music, Blood Harvest, and Nuclear Winter.

Thanks.
https://www.facebook.com/i.voidhanger.records
http://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/
Guido

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad its a drums prog. Good riffs and killer artwork!
I, Voidhanger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido wrote:
Sad its a drums prog. Good riffs and killer artwork!

Where did you read that? It's not entirely true, Guido. There's a real drummer on tracks 1-5, and a drum machine on tracks 6-9 (first demo).

Glad you liked the artwork. For those too lazy to check it out , here's the album cover:

CD comes with slipcase and a 20-page booklet with more art from the same painter.
Guido

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok no problem then.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty darn good album and you should check it out, period!

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iron tyrant wrote:
This is a pretty darn good album and you should check it out, period!

Seconded.
cultofvomit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a wonderful album, a real trip with an amazing guitar work. very good concept and lyrics too.
you're a fucking moron

Blutkvlt wrote:
For some reason I was confusing Asphyx with Pestilence, who suck

good deals: corporis, Merkavah, BloodVengeance, Decimator
cultofvomit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a wonderful album, a real trip with an amazing guitar work. very good concept and lyrics too.
you're a fucking moron

Blutkvlt wrote:
For some reason I was confusing Asphyx with Pestilence, who suck

good deals: corporis, Merkavah, BloodVengeance, Decimator
Shiru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good cover artwork at least
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mandatory question: any plans for a vinyl release? I'd love to see that cover art on an LP jacket.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Orionized

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SERPENT ASCENDING Reply with quote

I, Voidhanger wrote:
European customers can buy direclty from me (a Serpent Ascending CD+Tshirt bundle is available), Xtreem Music, Blood Harvest, and Nuclear Winter.

Thanks.

And Memento Mori too Wink
www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
mikelapocalipsis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyosefx wrote:
The mandatory question: any plans for a vinyl release? I'd love to see that cover art on an LP jacket.

+1

Great stuffˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ
I, Voidhanger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there'll be a a vinyl edition at some point next year (gatefold + insert, it seems). An announcement will be made soon. Me too can't wait to admire Wiley Trieff's artwork on an LP jacket, but the CD edition is very rich in art contents as well:
http://www.i-voidhanger.com/sa_artwork.htm

For those who still care about reviews, here are few extracts:

"Every lover of genuinely good death metal, the way it was supposed to be, having atmosphere, depth, violence, darkness and a supreme sense of melody, would be advised to give this beautiful beast a chance. Fuck the old school -- all Hail Serpent Ascending!"
CHRONICLES OF CHAOS (8,5 out of 10)

"...Creepy, murky, primitive and eerie atmospheres of early Finnish Death Metal that used to set the whole underground world on fire some 20 frigging years ago.(...) The vibe and feeling of those past times are still strongly present in the production of this record, the man himself in charge obviously paying a quite amount of careful attention to not having a too sterile and overly clean sound on this release, just to maintain his primal vision how SERPENT ASCENDING should actually sound like in the first place."
VOICES FROM THE DARKSIDE

"Serpent Ascending's The Enigma Unsettled is a finely hidden gem within the 2011 metal scene, adding yet another chapter to the fabled Finnish death metal division. Essentially combining elements of Depravity's Silence of the Centuries and at other locations slowing down to the murky depths of Slugathor and Stench of Decay, The Enigma Unsettled is very much a conglomerate of the sounds of this particularly rotten death metal scene and a pleasant surprise for the weary and uncompromising heeder."
SPUTNIK MUSIC (4 out of 5)

"I could go on listening to "Saturnal", "The Enigma Unsettled" and "Endless Initiations" repeatedly. They are some of the stronger old school numbers I've heard of this sort in recent years, and should be mentioned alongside bands like Sonne Adam or Father Befouled as an example of how to do this all correctly. (...) Serpent Ascending are likely to thrill the newcomers to the niche, or provide manny (un)happy returns for the veterans who seek sincerity amidst the grinding miasma."
FROM THE DUST RETURNED (7,5 out of 10)

You can also read an interview with main man Jarno Nurmi at the Serpent Ascending's release page:
http://www.i-voidhanger.com/serpent_ascending_the_enigma_unsettled.htm

More interviews to come in next days.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by I, Voidhanger on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, Voidhanger wrote:
Yes, there'll be a a vinyl edition at some point next year (gatefold + insert, it seems). An announcement will be made soon.

Will you be releasing the vinyl as well?

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: