P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Receiver question...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bornforburning

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Receiver question... Reply with quote

sooooooo, i have a few new questions, i would greatly appreciate anyone taking the time to respond, im totally new to recievers ect.
i just bought a yamaha rx-v363 reciever, do i need a subwoofer to make it work? also, there isnt a phono setting on it, can i just plug my turntable into any other red/white plug slots? forgive my ignorance, again, any help is really appreciated.
- LEGION -

Location: - Somewhere Within The Fuckin Space / Time Continuum -

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Receiver question... Reply with quote

bornforburning wrote:
i just bought a yamaha rx-v363 reciever, do i need a subwoofer to make it work?

- no, you dont NEED a sub to make it work, but, it would be better if you had one -

- you shouldve looked into just getting any YAMAHA home theater setups - receiver, surround speakers & a powered sub instead of just buying a receiver -

- if you dont mind me asking, what type of speakers you got?!?!? -

- [ BLASPHEMY / http://blasphemyritual.webs.com/ ] -

- [ UNHOLY ARCHANGEL / http://unholyarchangelworship.webs.com/ ] -
bornforburning

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some crappy old ones from a stereo system probably from the nineties. i have a turntable already, and these crappy speakers, so i was just looking for a way to listen to records for now. ive been using an old stereo with an automatic arm on the turntable, and im trying to slowly upgrade....
Portentum

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use the aux slot or another slot when the receiver doesn´t have a phono setting...maybe you need a preamp in case your turntable does not have an integrated one...
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original broke, so I just scored a really good Kenwood for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, this one is all fucked-up too. For some reason, I get no sound from the left channel (speaker) unless I crank it on full volume. I tried it with speakers and my headphones, so it's obviously an internal problem.

Anybody know what the problem could be? I'm going to try blasting some contact spray in their, in case it's the volume knob that's fucked.
duff138

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaha rx-v363 I did a quick Google search. Doesn't look like it has a phono input.

need a phono amp. You can get a cheap one on Ebay.

inexpensive one here too:

http://www.phonopreamps.com/
bornforburning

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez, i really appreciate you helping me out,thanx. unfortunatly i cant even get the radio to work through the speakers, the instructions suck a dick, they just say "plug in speakers" and theres a zillion different places on the back for speakers to be connected. faaaaaaaaaak!

so i got these things

and one of these things

and i dont know where the fuck to put them in this thing

if i need a phono preamp, i can handle that, but like i said, i cant even get sound out of the radio ! Shocked
duff138

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't get the radio because you'd need to plug in an antenna. speakers inputs, when looking at your picture, are on the right. See the thing that says speakers! For stereo probably just use those larger plugs on the bottom in the speaker section, looks like in may say Front. Left. Right. Those big Red and Black terminal/knob things
duff138

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the turntable brand/model? Some have built in pre-amps. If yours doesn't don't bother plugging it in till you buy a phono pre amp.
duff138

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at you previous posts. Looks like you have one of those Ion tables. Here's some info I got. Hoe this makes sense and pertains to the model you have:

Switchable Phono/Line level RCA outputs (with integrated preamp)

Line Level inputs are typically labeled "CD, DVD, VCR, AUX, LINE" etc. Phono inputs will always be labeled "Phono." Make sure to select the proper signal level (on the bottom of the ION TTUSB) for the type of stereo input you are using.

This means you DO NOT need a phono preamp it says it has "Switchable Phono/Line level RCA outputs (with integrated preamp)" Since you don't have a phono input on receiver you'll just plug it into one of these "CD, DVD, VCR, AUX, LINE". Then it appears that there must be a switch on your table to select the type of input you are using. Which will be line level. This will then use the tables built in phono amp.

If you get this working then money you would have spent on a phono amp you should spend on speakers. Best Buy carries Insignia NS-B2111 6.5'' Bookshelf Speaker. They use to cost $50 a pair. Pages and pages of info about what a deal these are, Google it. Unfortunately now they're about $70-80 a pair. Still worth it though, if you're on a budget.
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your speakers should be hooked up to those red and black posts where it says "speakers A". You need a + wire and a - wire. Make sure the + wire is the same wire on both the speaker and the amp.

If you still are getting no sound, make sure you do not have it turned to "speakers b" on the amp. This just happened to me (button got pressed while moving the amp around) and it's a simple thing but will piss you off to no end until you figure it out.
bornforburning

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, i cant thank you guys enough for trying to help me, i was just saying yesterday how fed up i was with forums, and how narrow minded everyone seems to be. but, its awesome that you guys are trying to give me a hand just because, thanx again. with that said, i still cant get any sound out of it. i feel like i have a little better idea of where stuff should be from your posts, but like i said no dice....there is a switch on the back of the turntable, and i have the speakers in the right place....its driving me nuts!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
- LEGION -

Location: - Somewhere Within The Fuckin Space / Time Continuum -

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- what type of stereo system are those speakers from?!?!? also, do you know how many watts that speaker system was?!?!? the YAMAHA receiver that you got is 100 watts per channel & if you crank it up, you COULD blow out your speakers if they cant handle it. you might wanna find that out before you really blast that shit -

- [ BLASPHEMY / http://blasphemyritual.webs.com/ ] -

- [ UNHOLY ARCHANGEL / http://unholyarchangelworship.webs.com/ ] -
Portentum

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe everything is connected correctly but the problem is the settings on the receiver...maybe the speaker mode is switched to "off" or something like that...
bornforburning

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, the speakers suck fersure, but i havent gotten any kind of sound out of them at all, i hope it is a setting problem, ive been going through the instructions like a mad man Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: