P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Looking to release a limited run of cds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoxiousAdorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Looking to release a limited run of cds Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I am a total noob on everything that has to do with releasing stuff.

I was looking to help out a few mates with their music aka releasing them as a limited 50-80 copies of cds max(willing to take on the financial responsibilities for the whole operation). I am currently living in canada (if this helps).

TLDR: someone guide me through all the steps id normally take for undertaking something like this.
Instinct

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can guide yourself through looking at press plant website info/FAQ pages or just phone them up and ask, no big deal nowadays concerning CD pressing/inlay printing.
Blood Music

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass mastering and offset printing from factory comes at pretty much same costs for 1 or 500 copies on CD, so I think if you go 50-80 copies, you're best off with a pro-printed CDr. It doesn't really make sense to do glass mastering (replicated CDs) unless you do 300 copies or more.

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
draugr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Nationwide with good results for a pro-cd release and plan to use them for my next 3 projects.

http://nationwidedisc.com/index.php?

VOID Records - http://voidrecords.storenvy.com/
DFP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Music wrote:
Glass mastering and offset printing from factory comes at pretty much same costs for 1 or 500 copies on CD, so I think if you go 50-80 copies, you're best off with a pro-printed CDr.

This.
Mikael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the difference is not that big cost-wise, that if you have any respect towards the music you're releasing, skip CDr and go with real CD.

One local printer has 100 CDs with 4-page booklet in jewelcase for 450 euros, CDr-version costs 280 euros. I'm sure there will be cheaper options elsewhere, for example Mobineko offered 100 copies with digipacks for 495 dollars, not sure about jewelecase.
lifeless

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.duplication.ca/
NoxiousAdorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your inputs. nationwidedisc looks like the perfect place to start for me given the prices and them being reliable/recommended.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
if you have any respect towards the music you're releasing, skip CDr and go with real CD.

THIS a thousand times. Don't do CD-r, they are a waste of money.
Barghest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFP wrote:
Blood Music wrote:
Glass mastering and offset printing from factory comes at pretty much same costs for 1 or 500 copies on CD, so I think if you go 50-80 copies, you're best off with a pro-printed CDr.

This.

You can get 100 replicated (glassmastered) CDs for 5 USD per unit here:

http://www.mobineko.com

I'd say that's a decent price for low quantity pressing.

I haven't used that company, but I know at least one person who has and they were happy with the quality.

NoxiousAdorer wrote:
TLDR: someone guide me through all the steps id normally take for undertaking something like this.

Be sure you're OK with the reality that you'll be spending hundreds of dollars on putting your friends' music on CD and, unless you manage to sell most/all of them, you'll never get that money back.

If you do decide to press replicated CDs, get the audio properly mastered. After all, why spend so much cash on pressing music on a 'pro' format and not have a 'pro' sound quality?

Similarly, if you're spending money on professional printing, ensure you get the artwork layout properly 'mastered' for printing. There's quite a lot of things that need to be handled and checked to ensure the print doesn't look crappy (colours too dark/light, unreadable text, blurred images, etc.). Knowing how to use photoshop is not enough. Learn about pre-press production or find someone to do it for you. I'm sure most CD pressing services will help to some extent with checking the layout for printing - but if they find problems, you'll probably have to take responsibility for fixing them them yourself.

As you don't seem to expect much demand for these releases, ask yourself if putting the music onto home-dubbed tapes is a better option for such a low quantity? You can get a good cassette recording deck pretty cheap (make sure it has controls for adjusting the recording level), order some custom-length tapes and adhesive cassette labels (to print yourself), pay a low-cost printing company to make a 100 pre-folded covers (J-cards) or slipcases (O-card), then dub a copy of the release from a master CDR every time someone orders one. If the tapes sell well, then maybe consider re-investing the cash in a CD version.
NoxiousAdorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That was very informative thanks. All I can say is that I am not really looking to do this with the expectation of returns,profits etc, just that I enjoy the music enough to actually want to make it available for people who want to listen to it (physically), and because of the fact that the music is actually good enough to deserve a physical release. This also helps out (small runs of releases) the artists who are making the music for themselves not really into sending out stuff looking for promotion etc and so on.
Aaattaack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:
colours too dark/light

Noticed this with quite a lot releases CD and LP in the last years also from bigger labels, totally annoying. I thought this is due to cheap colours used in printing process just like many other materials just get flimsier and shittier nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: