P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Paypal buyer protect/dispute question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Paypal buyer protect/dispute question Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had to deal with a Paypal dispute?

I just bought $225 worth of (non metal) LPs from a guy in India who claimed they were mint, he would remove them from sleeves when shipping, etc. It was not through ebay.

Got them and they are all rotten and smell like shit. They are covered in sand. The vinyl is OK (but NOT "mint) but the sleeves are all "poor". Also 1 LP that I paid $60 for was completely missing (my main reason for ordering from him was the LP I didn't get).

So I opened a Paypal dispute claiming items were missing, not as described, etc.

I'm wondering if Paypal is going to care if I return the records or not (or if they will even require proof that I did), I don't really want to send them back because it will cost me even more $ in shipping after I'm out the $225 already. Also I'm wondering if it would look better to PP if I did offer him something for the records like $5 each for the ones I did receive?

Anyone have experience with this? Will I get $ back from PP or will the guy have to return it to me? Their site didn't really say what will happen.

Sorry for the non metal question but I don't really use any other forums where it'd be more appropriate to ask.
Humus

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they weren't send registered you'd better had claimed not to have received them. I don't know how they act in damaged goods cases, but in lost mail cases (even if it's a fraude from the buyer) they normally favour the buyer.
You might try to 'return' them, send a registered package with some 0,10$ pop record and claim your refund. I know somebody who sold a rare shirt, the buyer was 'unhappy' with it and wanted to return it. Instead he send a Limp bizkit shirt via registered airmail but because he had proof he send a package they favoured him.
Paypal is pretty fucked up and if a buyer wants to fuck you over he will fuck you over. Luckily you're the buyer.
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the package was registered. I'm not sure I'd want to say I didn't receive the parcel as the guy might say I opted to not have the package insured and it was lost in the mail, therefore he's not responsible.

I've used Paypal a lot and never had a complaint as a buyer or seller so hopefully they will believe my story. I'm just pissed right now and want someone to tell be it's all gonna be ok Razz
shit-faced

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is actually in any case possible to get your money retransfered by paypal when it was no ebay transaction. Isn't it just like a common bank transfer then?
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read about it and it looks like Paypal only offers protection for non eBay transactions by freezing the sellers paypal account and taking the $ from them if it's there.

The insurance where Paypal will actually cover it is only for eBay transactions, and then it's only $200 or $2000 for "qualified auctions".

So, if the guy wants to keep using his current paypal account, he must pay me back (if Paypal sides with me).

I suppose the next step would be to dispute it with Visa as they have some fraud protection as well.
Chit019

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me one time, some fucker sent me a CDr instead of a Tape, I filed a claim regarding "Item not as described", they did not refund me the money. Fack !
Nosliw

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the seller and I hate being ethnocentric or something but my alarm bells will ring in my head if someone from some other country is trying to sweet talk me in buying some records. I prefer to deal with only Canadian, American, European (not post-Soviet states), and Japanese sellers. Maybe I'm really paranoid and not giving legit sellers and traders from different countries a chance but I prefer to be careful in spending my money without going directly into the black hole.
huja

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosliw wrote:
I prefer to deal with only Canadian, American, European (not post-Soviet states), and Japanese sellers. Maybe I'm really paranoid and not giving legit sellers and traders from different countries a chance but I prefer to be careful in spending my money without going directly into the black hole.

i used to be like that. i've found most rip offs/unreliable people come from the united states in my experiences.
Nosliw

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huja wrote:
Nosliw wrote:
I prefer to deal with only Canadian, American, European (not post-Soviet states), and Japanese sellers. Maybe I'm really paranoid and not giving legit sellers and traders from different countries a chance but I prefer to be careful in spending my money without going directly into the black hole.

i used to be like that. i've found most rip offs/unreliable people come from the united states in my experiences.

I've only done a few purchases directly to Americans and they're reliable. Then again, I very rarely do something like that and I'm generally afraid of gambling away some money..... damn my impulses.

And speaking of unreliable traders and sellers, did you read Yosuke's rant on bad Filipino distros and sellers on the FMP boards?
Shadow Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that happened to you bro.

I have to ask, why on earth would you buy anything from India?

Even if it's rare stuff, get 1 first and see how the transaction goes.... then if you're unhappy, you're only out a small amount...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had two disputes in my paypalcareer. Non of wich I got the money back. Even thoug paypal sided with me both times. Both times the seller was an obvious fraud and I didnt receive anything, I got bac 40 cent from my $40 Rolling Eyes .

The other time it was too late because Ive had waited so long before filing the claim.

Paypal isnt really too secure.
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similiar case concerning a deal with a guy in the states.
Paid him via paypal, he sent the package registered and all.
Quite a surprise opening the package and seeing a fake flexi.
In the end I got stuck with that piece of shit and he got stuck
with my money (and it was more than just a few bucks).

=> Zero support from paypal except for some bla bla.
CR99

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no support at all from PayPal on this, sorry

they will contact you soon (ca. 3-?? months) that you have to get a neutral & official third person to judge the damage. You have to pay him, PayPal won't pay you back for that. Than you have to fax them the results and documents. It must be all OFFICIAL with all that jazz. And in max. of 10 days it must be sent.

buyer protection is a farce

Better claim the records are missing when the stuff is not registered. Then you will get your money instantly. That's really what I experienced, no shit
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah 1 record is missing, so maybe I can get the $ back from that one ($60 for that LP-gone).

I've dealt with traders/sellers/buyers from India, Turkey, China, Japan, all over Europe, Pakistan, etc. My most major ripoffs/hardest people to deal with have all been from here in the US. Records from India are notoriously over graded, which is why I asked the guy "what do you mean by mint" and he responded "mint means mint".
CR99

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm I don't know if you need that "third neutral person" when claiming that one record is missing.

If the whole parcel doesn't arrive and it's unregistered you get your money pronto. but in this case I'm not too sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: