P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

country/western
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius Salvator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve been spinning the latest Cody Jinks album "Lifers" lately pretty often. Def. recommended!
Ough

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LazerBeast wrote:
https://terminalescape.blogspot.com/2017/12/astral-maps-country-rock-68-73.html?m=1

Don't know if that has been posted yet but the tape on that blog is a killer collection of country material you don't normally come across. Highly recommended.

Yep this was definitely good, thanks for sharing. Knew some artists as well as found some I hadn't. Overall, all great.
pronay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny wrote:
Doedsengel wrote:
Deathbarrel! True Norwegian outlaw country. Whole album written in prison. Excellent stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPIFuPCN9Sw

A prison? In Norway?

Lilyhammer cult eternal.

He probably gets laid many times a day considering his devotion to Manowar.
Adoomado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great compilation: Wayfaring Strangers: Cosmic American Music
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoomado wrote:
This is a great compilation: Wayfaring Strangers: Cosmic American Music

Yes absolutely! I played the fuck out of this record last year.
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Ely ‎– Full Circle: The Lubbock Tapes that dropped this year is great
Philemon Siclone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this but I don't know if it defines as country, folk or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8pFnff8KZA

And here is some cajun music that also appeared in a movie (which in turn inspired some Exodus-lyrics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fs12_-ihPY
Ough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been jamming Ed Askew's For the World lately what a album (more folk than country)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Nu2lt_PyY
sghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only "real" country I enjoy is Townes van Zandt I guess, I have "Our mother the mountain" on vinyl and listen to it from time to time, but it's really depressing so I have to be in the mood.
A.P.I

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sghost wrote:
but it's really depressing so I have to be in the mood.

Welcome to America
LazerBeast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he's been mentioned in this thread but the new Colter Wallnalbum is really good. Excited to see him live in 2 weeks.
Meatbrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I noticed this thread. I'm a huge fan of old school Country, Folk, Bluegrass etc and also modern Underground Country and Roots. Good to see COLTER WALL mentioned recently both his full lengths and his EP are killer also as far as recent stuff, TYLER CHILDERS is amazing... my personal favorite on OG country is JOHNNY PAYCHECK during his Little Darlin' era, like 1966 to maybe 70. Its the era of his music BEFORE his Outlaw era stuff of Take This Job and Shove it and stuff. It's just crazy, suicide, murder and lots of booze are his main themes back then. But yeah anyone still like to bullshit about this kind of stuff, I'll try to keep tabs on it now. I also worship at the shrine of Townes Van Zandt, who is one of my favorite artists of any genre ever. So yeah ...
Ough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail TVZ the GOAT. Looking forward to the release of "Sky Blue".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPZzbym9RsE

A new collection of previously unreleased recordings from singer-songwriter Townes Van Zandt has been announced. Sky Blue collects early drafts of songs like “Pancho and Lefty” and “Rex’s Blues,” recorded with Bill Hedgepeth in 1973. It also features two songs that have never been heard before—“Sky Blue” and “All I Need”—and covers of songs by Richard Dobson and Tom Paxton.
91/30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really C&W, probably a bit too noisy, but I listen to an old NY band called 'Lancaster County Prison'. They had Shane MacGowan on a few songs on their last album.
Meatbrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough,
Yeah I'm super excited for the new Townes release. A friend of mine knows Townes' daughter Katie Belle, and she had told him about it Nd then he told me a out it then right after that I saw something online that gave more detail. I am excited about it but I really want them to do a proper release of the final stuff he recorded. I know the final session with Steve Shelley was a disaster and I've long heard it's completely unusable, what little they did get, but even if that's not able to be cut into something, he did a session in Texas about 3 weeks before that did yield some stuff. The only official release to include any of it is "Absolutely Nothing", which includes versions of "German Mustard", "Where I Lead Me", "Nothing" and maybe one more. The tracks are fucking haunting. Townes is in a dark place and it's just heavy, but I also have a handful of recordings that I believe are from that same session that have never been released. They include the last couple songs he ever finished "Old Satan", "Harms Swift Way" and "Townes Blues" as well as some spoken word stuff. The tracks aren't cleaned up or anything they were taken straight from the board. I acquired them in a trade about 5 years ago from a guy I met on a Townes message board. Theres like 3 attempts at "Old Satan" and Townes keeps fucking it up and sounds wasted but I think the 3 takes could probably be cut into one useable track. He kills it on "Harms Swift Way" which is stunning and just heartbreaking and Townes Blues is him at maybe his most bitter. I really want to see them get released because people need to hear them but so far they haven't been put out.... but yeah I am pumped for this new release, any new TVZ release is highly welcome. I dont know if you read but his long time road manager and one of his best friends Harold Eggers just released his Book "My Years With Townes Van Zandt". Its a great book. Theres a couple other very solid TVZ books too I'll hve to look at the names when I get home though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: