P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

How much of your collection do you not listen to often? cull
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I could go 5 years without playing something, and then all of a sudden I'm totally into it again - like right now with GOATSNAKE - I can't recall the last time I spun those records, now I'm otally obsessed about it again. Next week it will be something different. That's why I don't like to sell records unless I'm 100% sure I have no interest in it....
Chicken_Dance

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... You can listen to records??
harmless

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i listen to about 5%.
i have sold probably half of what i've collected.
some missed, some not.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to a healthy percentage - I'm not a repetitive listener even of stuff I really love, so I like to keep cycling through and listening to things I haven't heard lately rather than spin something more familiar for the dozenth time. However, there's still a good chunk of it that I know is crap or just generic, and I should probably take the time to pull it out and sell it. Unfortunately I just can't seem to make the time for such a dreary task. Nothing is less interesting to me than the thought of getting rid of music - it's a chore with almost no upside.
Warfare Noise

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
it's a chore with almost no upside.

Well, the upside is that you can turn the money into more new music though. After approx 15 years of stubborn collecting (NEVER selling anything off) ive finally started to make some sales and when the paypal balance gets big enough turn around and buy something I actually want.

When money turns into records it never turns back into money.
BUT.
Bad records can be turned into good records.
pentfixion

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno about listening to records, seems like too much work. I just like to look at the cover art when I'm watching pawn stars.
little_raven

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
Doom-Mantia wrote:
mostly buy what i really want, especially if its a new lp i have a chance to get the first time around.

Problem today is the limitations and it is the number one reason why my collection grew so fast. You get an email or see a post on a forum about a new release. There's a link to a song and it sounds massive!!! First time you ever heard the band or it's a new comer and not very well known. So you buy the LP because you don't want to miss out on it. Parcel arrives, throw the album on your turntable and realize the album is below average. The preview song is the best song on the album and the rest of it sounds like a filler. If some of these releases weren't so damn limited I would take the time to download the album when it's released, listen to it to see if I like it and then decide if I want to buy it.

This used to happen to me a lot when I started lurking metal-related forums a couple of years ago. Now I prefer buying those limited CDs second-hand, I'd rather pay a little more if I really like something than having tons of albums that I do not care about. Sometimes temptation is strong tho, but in general I make sure I like something before making a blind purchase
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly listen to maybe 10% of what I own. The rest get listened to every once in a while, and I'm OK with that. If I get something and I think I'll never listen to it again, I'll sell or trade it.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having a small collection that won't take up lots of space. I'm kinda fussy about buying albums in the first place and will generally only cull/sell if I'm replacing a CD with a Vinyl or a Vinyl with a CD.
Astaroth

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken_Dance wrote:
Wait... You can listen to records??

Always knew you Melbournites were posers.

Razz
Powerdrive

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With working from home, I'm lucky enough that I can listen to and check out music all day. So I will crank on the turntable and choose an LP to play or put a CD in.

But my problem with that is that my downstairs neighbors are old people and I feel playing music on the stereo rattles the walls too much and doesn't sound too good at extremely low volumes. So I mostly end up playing stuff through the computer (YouTube 90%, MP3s 10%). So even though I might be playing something from my collection, its a digital version, so the real stuff sits and starting to collect dust.
probert

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still have no idea why i have 2 "arrival of satan" lps. seemed like a good idea at the time. i cycle through my vinyls too, often when looking i see a title or 2 that i pull and put in the "trade/sell" section. sold most of my valuable stuff in the last year to fund other more productive things. it's nice to take a stack of crap into the store and get 100 bucks in trade credit or whatever and pick up some brand new copies of "essentials" that you know will last in your collection but youve never got around to picking up.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
. sold most of my valuable stuff in the last year to fund other more productive things..

Still wish I bought that Funeral Mist - Salvation DLP when you were selling it!
probert

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
probert wrote:
. sold most of my valuable stuff in the last year to fund other more productive things..

Still wish I bought that Funeral Mist - Salvation DLP when you were selling it!

wow, that was ages ago. i dont even remember who bought it, i think i ebayed it. thats one i sorrrrrrrrt of wish i still had. but uhh yeh, ive been doing great without it Very Happy
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
For me I could go 5 years without playing something, and then all of a sudden I'm totally into it again - like right now with GOATSNAKE - I can't recall the last time I spun those records, now I'm otally obsessed about it again. Next week it will be something different. That's why I don't like to sell records unless I'm 100% sure I have no interest in it....

I have the same explanation for my obsessive hoarding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: