P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Pro tapes or Dubbed tapes ? Your preference & why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadows...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Pro tapes or Dubbed tapes ? Your preference & why? Reply with quote

Personally i have been in two minds about this myself.

As an example i have noticed some distros dub tapes quietly which can somewhat kill the tape for me personally. but some that come from a home dub sound fantastic and with the more "diy" element really add a "charm" to the tape. this is of-course something that i would imagine is dying out in times of people being more into Vinyl.

I have experienced quite a lot of "pro tapes" which sound fucking awful which i have had to turn up louder than home dubbed tapes from labels. also on the last few tapes i have purchased that were pro tapes the "B" side sounded awful ..infact, it sounded like a Tapeline job for sure. (notoriously bad pro tapes most of the time) fortunately the whole of the recordings of both tapes we're on the "A" side.

It would be nice to hear peoples opinions on this topic.

Fast Eddie Clarke.
cesarcold

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer pro-tapes most times, but I'm ok with dubbed as long as they sound fine.
Also the fact that some labels dub 15-minute demos on C-60 tapes pisses me off Laughing
Shadows...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cesarcold wrote:
Also the fact that some labels dub 15-minute demos on C-60 tapes pisses me off Laughing

The problem with buying tapes (if you are dubbing) is the cost of pre determined length tapes. I can buy a x10 pack of Maxell c90's that costs me 4.50 (with this you get a case) so yeah, 45p for a tape and case.

As an example here is what you would pay for x10 c30 tapes with cases AND postage.

Clear cassette library case - LIBCASE (0.22) x 10 = 2.20
Chrome tapes to length are here - newaurex (0.58p)
Colour: Black
Tape Length: C30

TOTAL = 8.00
SHIPPING = (economy) 6.35 (this is Inland ...not abroad)
VAT = 2.87
TOTAL = 17.22

How on earth is costs 6.35 to send ten tapes from the North to the South of England i'll never know... definitely seems like those prices are off since it cost me about 8 to send 10 dubbed tapes from England to anywhere in Europe. odd!!

Fast Eddie Clarke.
cesarcold

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, C-90's seem to be the most common and easy to find tapes. Even in local Chienese stores it's easy to spot packs of TDK C-90, but I haven't seen C-90 o C-45 outside the internet in 15 years
remm

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-tape fetishist here, my favorite format (also a vinyl lover of course).

I 'learned' listening to music via dubbing and trading of course and still if the dub is ok I have no problem.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's good quality it's all the same to me.

TURN THE LIGHT OFF
OBEY THE MEGAGOAL
rauta

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No difference really, it's mostly just similarly dubbed (factory or diy, quality varies in both) tapes but what I do prefer is having print on the tape shells soI guess that would mean "pro" in this case.

On a related note, I hate pro-printed j-cards. The only reason for going for a tape release is the hand-made, diy feel they can have where aesthetics and a sense of style play a major role. A pro-printed inlay just kills this aspect for me, rendering the format nothing but an inferior-sounding and largely soulless, mass-produced item next to its peers the cd and vinyl.
Shadows...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
No difference really, it's mostly just similarly dubbed (factory or diy, quality varies in both) tapes but what I do prefer is having print on the tape shells soI guess that would mean "pro" in this case.

On a related note, I hate pro-printed j-cards. The only reason for going for a tape release is the hand-made, diy feel they can have where aesthetics and a sense of style play a major role. A pro-printed inlay just kills this aspect for me, rendering the format nothing but an inferior-sounding and largely soulless, mass-produced item next to its peers the cd and vinyl.

Do you use Tapeline still Rauta? over 70% of what i know has come from there sounds pretty bad. also i've had a few issues with the whole a/b side (pretty fucked if there actually is a B side with different content from side A) because on a good chunk of the tapes the B side sounds awful (well it could be the B side or the A side) since there is no real differentiation and the content is the same.

Fast Eddie Clarke.
Crasse

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of blank tapes at Tapeline like 4 years ago. They were C30 IIRC and the price was almost the same no matters the length of the tape. Pressing a 20 min release in a C90 is boring as hell, it makes me stop listening to tapes.
danofort

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it doesn't matter as long as the tape sounds as it should. Although, I have gotten dubbed tapes from a couple distros that sound like absolute shit because the person doing the dubbing either didn't know what they were doing, had a garbage tape deck or just didn't care.
Warcrust

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tapes
remm

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Pressing a 20 min release in a C90 is boring as hell, it makes me stop listening to tapes.

Same here. Hate it when it happens.
Shadows...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
I bought a bunch of blank tapes at Tapeline like 4 years ago. They were C30 IIRC and the price was almost the same no matters the length of the tape. Pressing a 20 min release in a C90 is boring as hell, it makes me stop listening to tapes.

How do you mean with "pressing" ? to have a pro-pressed release that is say 20 minutes long on a c90? or do you mean to have a demo (dubbed by band members) that is 20 minutes on a c90?
For example here i have covers, WAV files and c90 tapes. one of the demos is around 12 minutes, the other around 22 and the other is 38 minutes. I will dub these myself.

The price is quite different (atleast from what i have experienced) what with shipping and all...
Here's the chart directly from Tapeline's site.

Quantity Price per unit
25+ 2.00
50+ 1.50
100+ 1.00
150+ 0.95
200+ 0.92
300+ 0.89
500+ 0.87
1000+ 0.82
2500+ 0.70

Fast Eddie Clarke.
Thetyrant

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if I am doing a limited release or full release.

I have multiple lengths in stock at all times (15,32,64,90) for self-duplication.
Also, I make sure levels on audio are appropriate for creating master tape using a PylePro PT659DU Dual Cassette Deck with a Beheringer USB device to play the music direct from a laptop. Then use a Sony CC9-1300 for tape duplication.

For pro-release - National Audio Company has always been spot on for duplication needs and the audio always sounds great.
ghaaroth

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro. If a pro tape sounds like crap, I can console myself with a likely assumption they all do. If it's crappily homedubbed by a third party, the joke is on me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: