P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bolt Thrower retirement fund
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortado

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to do with the lawyers at Games Workshop and all the Warhammer elements included in their shirt artwork. Games Workshop lawyers aren't likely to go to Bolt Thrower shows so...
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:

For instance, I saw many people buying multiple shirts for Ebay at MDF and on the Those Once Loyal tour... and many other people went home without one as a result. I don't see how the massive rip-off market which exists around these shirts constitutes control.

This is exactly my point. I have nothing but the utmost respect for their music and their tireless devotion to keeping ticket prices down and the bargain prices of their shirts at shows. It just seems counter productive to me to basically create a climate where bootlegging and swindling is all but inevitable.
DSS

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
I believe they want to have complete control over every aspect of their merchandise and therefore only sell at live shows.

This is the reason why they 'lose' control over every aspect of their merchandise. People can't get a hold of their stuff so they are 'forced' to buy bootlegs. If they want complete control then they should set up a web shop. No wholesale and with a statement that this merchandise is available only from their web store. If you're buying from someone else then you're buying a bootleg.

Iron Maiden has similar statement on their site. Basically saying that if you want official Iron Maiden merchandise then you should buy from their store because there's too many bootleggers out there. Perhaps a wrong example since Maiden is a much bigger band.

But Destroyer 666 has a web store as well.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that it was in the planning for Bolt thrower to open a webshop, things got put on the backburner for whatever reason...
Doom-Mantia

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to sell a bolt thrower bootleg "In Battle..." shirt i got from Turboeye on ebay last fall, and the band got it removed through ebay. it was pretty funny to get the notification saying BOLT THROWER filed to have it removed.

too bad all those shirts seem to be XL, i only looked at the colored ones.
thrashaholickyle

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Spreadshirt to make my own Bolt Thrower shirt with the large logo Metal Blade use to have up on their site. I am content.

Last edited by thrashaholickyle on Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
hellmask

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used Spreadshirt to make my own Bolt Thrower shirt with the large logo Metal Blade use to have up on their site. I am content.

DIY Awesome - screw the bootleggers and make it yourself. (Ok, maybe SPreadshirt isn't completely DIY...but at least you designed it!)
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

And it's indeed sickening to see how 'fans' profit from their shirts. At the recent Boltfest in London people put shirts on ebay already during the show. Needless to say the fest shirt sold out very fast and a lot of fans (including me) didn't get one. The band itself was so disgusted about this that they reprinted the shirt and offered it to people who had proove (the ticket) that they attended the fest. They did the same for the shirt they sold at Party-san a few years ago.

Thats what they did ? Wow. Well, thats pretty much a statement of their 'beleifs' regarding all this right there.

If Bolt Thrower was about cash they would put out a new CD every year and have that logo on every damned merch item they could, like Dimmu, like Cradle, like Behemoth etc etc and so many others... obviously they are actually interested in being somewhat 'underground' and want only normal fans, not profiteers or trend riders etc etc

Bah, respect to them. They've made some killer albums, so what if I don't have a shirt. I bought the albums.
S_Slaughter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And I thought I had alot of Bolt Thrower shirts

In the 90s they seemd to have merch readily available. I bought shirts for most albums they released from metal stores at the time. They were also available via earache mailorder etc.
I do understand their stance about maintaining integrity music wise & not wanting to whore out their merch but the demand is certianly there, people like them and want merch.
Mz412

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Grafvolluth wrote:
Bolt Thrower only make shirts available at their shows. Thats why the kiddies spend all that money on ebay. They don't use the same methods of merchandizing as their contemporaries. Respect!

What's so noble about this ? If they toured a lot, I can understand only selling your merch at shows...but this band plays out very rarely, thus creating a massive market for bootlegging and ridiculous ebay prices for a goddamn t-shit. They have legions of fans willing to pay money for their merchandise, why not make it available on their website or something , instead of feeding bootleggers ?

They used to Tour constantly in the Past

Quote:
lodhemn9 wrote:
and that's precisely why I question the logic in making your merch ultra limited .

anyone ever cared to ask them directly??? (in interviews or something)
I dunno if there is a special reason, they are not the only band with "unlogic" stories. look at darkthrone: they surely miss A LOT of cash by not playing live

Yeah, were in several Interviews. They Printed the Shirts directly for the Tour and if its Sold Out, they used Local Print Shops to Print more for feeding the Demand. So its contrary to the Situation now. Think ~15 Years ago it was normal to buy BT Merch on Tour for low Cash and "Exclusive" Stuff (they took the Shirts to next Concert of course, too) instead of lots other Bands who sold Overpriced Merch on Tour and in several Merch Mailorders (EMP or Nuclear Blast Mailorder have had mostly the Tour Merch for little lower Prices atz the same Time Laughing )

Idea behind it was making something nice for the Fans on Tour and have lower Prices and always Merch avaible. Of course the Story begins before Internet and with regulary Touring...
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortado wrote:
I think it has to do with the lawyers at Games Workshop and all the Warhammer elements included in their shirt artwork. Games Workshop lawyers aren't likely to go to Bolt Thrower shows so...

It would not suprise me if this was part of the problem. I know the logo was designed by GW's artists, and as far as things go GW is massively, OTT aggressive about their IP.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncolored wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:

Probably to keep the demand high so they sell them for $20 at gigs. It doesn't make much sense to me.

fuck no! in 2006 I paid 8 euros for a 1 side/color t shirt. double side multicoloured costed 12

Don't confuse those guys with Napalm Death, they are the ones who take 20+ for a lousy shirt with digital photoshop crap on it.
Humus

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Morbid angel. Last time I saw them in a venue they charged 35 euro for one shirt. And that was in 2006 or 2007. They did play an old school set though.

By the way, regarding the original post and the auctions on ebay, someone on a different forum pointed out that if you look at all the high priced auctions it's one bidder bumping up all prices. One bidder who more or less exclusivly bids on items from the seller, and who has 44 bid retractions in the last 6 months.
He's pretty bad at hiding his shill bids.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sort of understand the shirt policy, for bands they're a hassle and when you're a large enough band its hard to keep control over them due to both bootleggers and licensing deals. Easy to keep it more DIY and sell them yourselves. Maybe the webstore thing fell through due to lack of time to pack hundreds of shirts for people and not worth it to them to hire someone to help in that area either, while selling a hundred or so shirts at a one-off gig is a lot faster and less hassle, despite the problems it has.

Not much a shirt person myself at least. I mostly get shirts from local bands i like, my favorite bands all around, or tour shirts i like enough. I have enough shirts already so its less priority over music these days. Unfortunately there's a huge scene for band t-shirts so people do buy these things simply to flip them through ebay rather than letting people who are fans and would want to proudly wear it have a chance to get one.

Have a bolt thrower shirt, but i bought it from a random shirt vendor at a fest, so chances are pretty high its a bootleg, seen some in battle shirts for sale at various punk stores over the years, but they never conveniently have my size, i love the album and artwork, so design has been one i keep my eyes out for, even though they're mostly bootleg at this point.
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt. wrote:
It could be a rumor, but i've heard Bolt Thrower doesn't own the rights to their own logo, hence only selling official merch at their shows. If this is true it would make sense why you see "In battle.." shirts more often.

why would a band not own the rights to their own logos?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: