P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bolt Thrower retirement fund
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's so noble about this ? If they toured a lot, I can understand only selling your merch at shows...but this band plays out very rarely, thus creating a massive market for bootlegging and ridiculous ebay prices for a goddamn t-shit. They have legions of fans willing to pay money for their merchandise, why not make it available on their website or something , instead of feeding bootleggers ?

Probably to keep the demand high so they sell them for $20 at gigs. It doesn't make much sense to me.

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Uncolored

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:

Probably to keep the demand high so they sell them for $20 at gigs. It doesn't make much sense to me.

fuck no! in 2006 I paid 8 euros for a 1 side/color t shirt. double side multicoloured costed 12

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it makes even less sense. This sort of thing allows people like scumnig to stay in business.

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Uncolored

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you really sure there are tons of bt bootleg shirts around??
a friend of mine had a couple of in the battle there is no law bootleg shirts in his distrolist and he got a letter from the bolt thrower lawyer asking to stop selling them.
I know that selling merch at gigs only could be annoying for overseas fans but wtf can you do?? it's their own choice and somehow you must respect it

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncolored wrote:
are you really sure there are tons of bt bootleg shirts around??
a friend of mine had a couple of in the battle there is no law bootleg shirts in his distrolist and he got a letter from the bolt thrower lawyer asking to stop selling them.
I know that selling merch at gigs only could be annoying for overseas fans but wtf can you do?? it's their own choice and somehow you must respect it

I see plenty of Bolt Thrower bootleg shirts for sale at fests..... most recently at one of the bootleg tables at Rites of Darkness III. I'm aware that their management takes a very aggressive stance towards bootlegging and takes action against it, like you mentioned..... and that's precisely why I question the logic in making your merch ultra limited .
Uncolored

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
and that's precisely why I question the logic in making your merch ultra limited .

anyone ever cared to ask them directly??? (in interviews or something)
I dunno if there is a special reason, they are not the only band with "unlogic" stories. look at darkthrone: they surely miss A LOT of cash by not playing live

SatanHussein wrote:
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zyklonbaptism wrote:
Candlemass wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:
probably a good time to sell. the Bolt Thrower frenzy won't last much longer!

What frenzy?

I was wondering the same thing. Aside from the reissues and Boltfest, I haven't heard much.

There's definitely a frenzy on ebay -- people are paying well over $50 and sometimes over $100 for original BT LPs and shirts, when just a few years ago all of the Bolt Thrower stuff went for pennies on the dollar. I don't think I ever paid more than $30 max for any of the BT LPs/shirts/posters/CDs I got from ebay before 2008 or so. I expect the same to be true in another five to ten years or so, once the trend turns away from old school death metal.
matt.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a rumor, but i've heard Bolt Thrower doesn't own the rights to their own logo, hence only selling official merch at their shows. If this is true it would make sense why you see "In battle.." shirts more often.

Oh...and if you don't like Moyen art, please do not support us.
zyklonbaptism

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
zyklonbaptism wrote:
Candlemass wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:
probably a good time to sell. the Bolt Thrower frenzy won't last much longer!

What frenzy?

I was wondering the same thing. Aside from the reissues and Boltfest, I haven't heard much.

There's definitely a frenzy on ebay -- people are paying well over $50 and sometimes over $100 for original BT LPs and shirts, when just a few years ago all of the Bolt Thrower stuff went for pennies on the dollar. I don't think I ever paid more than $30 max for any of the BT LPs/shirts/posters/CDs I got from ebay before 2008 or so. I expect the same to be true in another five to ten years or so, once the trend turns away from old school death metal.

Ah, I definitely see your point there. Well-put.
Humus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they want to have complete control over every aspect of their merchandise and therefore only sell at liveshows.

If you can name me one other death metal band that sells their shirts for 10 I'd be glad to hear it. Or one other band that lowers their own fee in order to keep ticket prices low. Or one other band that has Autopsy fly-over for their birthday show, asks visitors a measly 5 pounds and forwards the entire profit to a good cause.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt. wrote:
It could be a rumor, but i've heard Bolt Thrower doesn't own the rights to their own logo, hence only selling official merch at their shows. If this is true it would make sense why you see "In battle.." shirts more often.

I'm not sure this makes much sense -- if the logo is a problem then it would be no more legal for the band to sell a shirt at a show than it would be to sell it on the internet. I'm guessing the In Battle thing is just due to the inherent connection between punks and bootlegs... Laughing Also, if this were true then Earache would be the ones who own the logo, and I doubt they'd hesitate to cash-in, especially given their money-grubbing behavior with regards to BT in the past.

That said, I could believe that the band doesn't have full control over the merch situation, depending on their contract. Metal Blade may be part of the problem here.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
I believe they want to have complete control over every aspect of their merchandise and therefore only sell at liveshows.

If you can name me one other death metal band that sells their shirts for 10 I'd be glad to hear it. Or one other band that lowers their own fee in order to keep ticket prices low. Or one other band that has Autopsy fly-over for their birthday show, asks visitors a measly 5 pounds and forwards the entire profit to a good cause.

+1
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

I agree with this, and especially with how noble BT have been in not ripping off their fans, but I don't see much difference between selling shirts at shows and selling a limited number of shirts, one-per-customer, directly to the fans through the internet.

For instance, I saw many people buying multiple shirts for Ebay at MDF and on the Those Once Loyal tour... and many other people went home without one as a result. I don't see how the massive rip-off market which exists around these shirts constitutes control.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they do keep new shirt prices low. Someone scored me a Spearhead double sided print shirt with discharge ink for 10 pounds. They make very little off their merchant
Humus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
Humus wrote:

I agree with this, and especially with how noble BT have been in not ripping off their fans, but I don't see much difference between selling shirts at shows and selling a limited number of shirts, one-per-customer, directly to the fans through the internet.

For instance, I saw many people buying multiple shirts for Ebay at MDF and on the Those Once Loyal tour... and many other people went home without one as a result. I don't see how the massive rip-off market which exists around these shirts constitutes control.

True. They could set-up their own webshop and at one point I do believe that was what they were planning. But obviously that didn't go through. Might be naive but at so many other points they are the most 'correct' band I know so I suppose they must have a good reason to do what they do.

And it's indeed sickening to see how 'fans' profit from their shirts. At the recent Boltfest in London people put shirts on ebay already during the show. Needless to say the fest shirt sold out very fast and a lot of fans (including me) didn't get one. The band itself was so disgusted about this that they reprinted the shirt and offered it to people who had proove (the ticket) that they attended the fest. They did the same for the shirt they sold at Party-san a few years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: