P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

SEEK NO COUNCIL AMONG THE IMPIOUS info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: SEEK NO COUNCIL AMONG THE IMPIOUS info? Reply with quote

Have any of you heard of this or maybe know what this is?
I inquired with the distro but there was no answer from the guy.

I'm wondering if it is
A) a group that interprets or re-interprets lithurgical chants, OR
B) actual orthodox lithurgical chants sourced from who-knows where...

Here's the link http://pesanta.bigcartel.com/product/seek-no-council-among-the-impiousorthodox-liturgical-chants

If anybody knows what's up with this LP or where it comes from, please reply in this thread. I'm really interested in this.
Darkhivist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this as well. Ordered anyhow. Kind of hoping it sounds like the chant section from Deathspell Omega's "Carnal Malefactor."

The Pesanta site also has a shirt made from the art on the LP.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating indeed! The description says it's just orthodox chants (which are available everywhere), but maybe there is something different.
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone bought this? How does it sound?
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very interesting!
s.charlach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that I'm merely trying a shot in the dark here as I'm actually not familiar with the particular recording that is sold by Pesenta Urfolk, but as chance would have it my father owns a record called "Basso Profondo" that includes a chant called "Blessed Is the Man Who Seeks No Counsel Among the Impious". That recording is by The Orthodox Singers male choir under the choir master Georgiy Smirnov. Maybe that's what you're talking about here, but it's admittedly just a wild, wild guess simply based on the remarkable similiarity of the title, and it'd be plain weird if they'd sell this as such even though there's a copyright. If nothing else Georgiy Smirnov is surely worth to take a listen to given your interest in Russian liturgical music.
Darkhivist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
I'm perfectly aware of the fact that I'm merely trying a shot in the dark here as I'm actually not familiar with the particular recording that is sold by Pesenta Urfolk, but as chance would have it my father owns a record called "Basso Profondo" that includes a chant called "Blessed Is the Man Who Seeks No Counsel Among the Impious". That recording is by The Orthodox Singers male choir under the choir master Georgiy Smirnov. Maybe that's what you're talking about here, but it's admittedly just a wild, wild guess simply based on the remarkable similiarity of the title, and it'd be plain weird if they'd sell this as such even though there's a copyright. If nothing else Georgiy Smirnov is surely worth to take a listen to given your interest in Russian liturgical music.

I found some samples of the CD you mention and compared it to my copy from Pesanta, nice work, you nailed it! It's nice knowing a little more about this music. Agreed, odd the way the label released it especially because the original Russian ones on CD are somewhat highly sought after in Mint/NM condition.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to this style a lot lately, so I thought I'd drop a couple recommendations for those that care:

- (Dragoslav) Pavle Aksentijević
- Valaam Brotherhood Choir

So far, nothing has touched the supreme quality of these two. I just bought a compilation that may challenge that, though...
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World uses that Basso Profundo recording quite effectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: