P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

8 Track Tape Recorders...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.K.Blasphemer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: 8 Track Tape Recorders... Reply with quote

Does anybody know where I can find a Yamaha MT8X Multitrack Cassette Recorder, without having to deal with Ebay bidding and all that other bullshit... anybody selling one? There is some new shit im wanting to record but I will refuse to record anything if an 8 track tape recorder is not involved. Im not looking for that Yamaha only, even if its Tascam, mainly looking for a nice 8 track tape recorder thats in working condition!
tomas

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go for a 4track as well. Those are easier to find. And just use some small mixing boards to have more than one instrument on one track. That's how the band I play in does it and it turns out fine.
H.K.Blasphemer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomas wrote:
You can go for a 4track as well. Those are easier to find. And just use some small mixing boards to have more than one instrument on one track. That's how the band I play in does it and it turns out fine.

Cool man thanks for the idea, well for me I cant stand using a mixer. I always tend to fuck shit up, so thats why im looking for an 8 track. But ill see, thanks!
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that youīre forced to use Ebay if you want an 8 track recorder. You can check advertisements in music mags, but most likely they are way more expensive than on Ebay, if you find something at all....
H.K.Blasphemer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghhhh, I was able to find something, DAMN EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260236590916&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016
tomas

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that 8track work with a regular audio tape? It looks like it, and if so, I wonder how it works. Because I think you can only have four different tracks on a tape (stereo left and right on A and B side = 4 tracks). How do you put 8tracks on a regular tape??

About the mixers: If you listen, check and test before you do your final recording, there's less chance of fucking up. You just have to take the time to listen and learn from you mistakes. We've made crystal clear yet raw recordings doing it like this.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomas wrote:

We are planing on doing this also. Have goten OK sound on my 4-track when I did a test, and I think it's better to do it ourselves than to go to a studio and reckord with an engineer who doesn't know how it should be.

An alternative is to record four tracks and then get them over to one. I think many recorders has this functions, but havent managed to do it on mine. Alternativly I will take it out on a mini-disk and on to a new tape, but that would mean geting it digitalized...

I think I have read in some advertisment that the 8-tracks need a speical tape, and those are hard to come by.

I would like to get my hands on something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Another-Studer-A807-studio-reel-to-reel-studio-recorder_W0QQitemZ160234149434QQihZ006QQcategoryZ109002QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 tracks use the same regular cassettes. The manual of my Tascam explains how it works. But donīt remember exactly how. Itīs a bit tricky to record with one of those. I prefer recording with computers, way easier to handle and you have even better possibilies to get the sound you want without having it sounding digital.
H.K.Blasphemer

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts! So there might be a chance of it being confusing for me to figure out how to record a total of 8 tracks? Or it should not be a problem, right? I hope heheh, im sure I will figure it out.
tomas

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@2079:
I think copying the four recorded tracks onto one will damage the sound quality. It will add extra hiss. And that also means you can't record live and you'll have to work with overdubs. But of course, some people prefer it like this.
Working with small mixing boards is the easiest option to record everything live.

You can also buy two 4track machines, press the record buttons at the same time and record 8 tracks simultaneously Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomas wrote:
@2079:
I think copying the four recorded tracks onto one will damage the sound quality. It will add extra hiss. And that also means you can't record live and you'll have to work with overdubs. But of course, some people prefer it like this.
Working with small mixing boards is the easiest option to record everything live.

You can also buy two 4track machines, press the record buttons at the same time and record 8 tracks simultaneously Laughing

or you could do as i do and record each track onto a cassette player, play that tape out of a tape player and record the other tracks over that. repeat the process and make a demo on a one track recorder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: