P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Digitalizing tapes -> glitches?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Digitalizing tapes -> glitches? Reply with quote

So I've been running material from my multitrack tape recorders onto the PC for like forever now but just recently ran into this problem of starting to get these weird click / rattle sounds on the rips. Checked the cables and audio card settings & channels, nothing wrong there plus these have all remained as is for quite a while without problems. The error isn't too audible and resembles the static click of vinyl, it's not continuous but happens every now and then and my gut tells me it tends to focus on places where you have a boomy & low note resonating on distorted guitars OR it just may be that these slower and less hectic parts in music are good for making it out, don't know for sure.

During the tape -> PC transfer, the problem is not there, regardless if I plug my headphones on the multitracker source, the PC or the mixer between the two so it probably has to do with the actual wave capturing and therefore PC -related, right?

A sample: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37572972/sample.wav

Anyone able to help?
boogs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had that problem too. Using a different audio cable solved it. Maybe try a different power socket as well.
ADK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you lowered the input-volume in the audio-settings of your computer down to 5-10%? Not an expert, but this is very important.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Have you lowered the input-volume in the audio-settings of your computer down to 5-10%? Not an expert, but this is very important.

The same problem happens to me at times so I always check the volume levels when I transfer music on my computer as indeed, if the volume's too loud, clipping can happen.

Also, checking the cables is another important thing to do.

And maybe that's just me but sometimes, moving the cables while they're still plugged in their input/outputs sockets can create weird noises like that on the music you transfer. So I would avoid touching anything while the music is transferring...
rauta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, the cables & levels were the first on my checklist. No clipping in the mixer or pc and cables right out of the box.
drinks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your latency, this is often a major cause of glitches in the recording

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would cleaning the tape deck possibly be required? Sounds like from what I read you have been doing the ripping for sometime before encountering a issue, so maybe there is a matter of cleaning needed?

I have no idea, just dropping this in here, possibly something to consider maybe? ...or maybe not.

Umm, maybe just lower some volume. Cool
Mikael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:
Check your latency, this is often a major cause of glitches in the recording

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Indeed, sounds like latency-problem.
boogs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no latency problem. There are some grounding issues and possibly something with the audio cable interacting strangely with another device. I had the same spikes and a different audio cable solved that issue. If you record to a laptop, try recording without the power cord plugged in. Notebook power supplies can cause some grounding issues (the horizontal lines that you can see below)
AOD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some trouble with converting tapes and vinyl to computer (latency problems, synchronisation errors of the sound card etc.), one year ago I decided to buy a CD recorder from PIONEER:

This is the easiest way to convert tapes and vinyl to CD-R. As this recorder handles Audio CD-RW, I copy the source material to CD-RW and read it with EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to my computer. Works fine and I am very surprised by the quality of the recordings !!!
Caine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you installed some program? or having some more apps running lately?

im also digitalizing all my tapes atm and will get rid of those maybe cause i really hate tapes due to the work it needs to get them recorded with good quality.
AOD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important thing is to fix the azimuth for each separate cassette. This is the only way to get the best quality out of it.
rauta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new software installed and I don't do apps at all. Digitalizing normal audio tapes is not an issue I'm interested in, only running multiple track recordings into digital format so no help with the cd recorder either as you're most likely stuck with 16bit stuff using one of those.
AOD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For digitizing analogue multitrack tapes, I use a Presonus Firewire 8-track soundcard and always record with 24 bits:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: