P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction CD question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction CD question Reply with quote

Was there ever an official first press CD out on Iron Works, or were they all bootlegs?
plague

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know anything about the cd, but weird to hear this album used in recent dark places movie
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the recent High Roller CD sounds better than any previous CD version.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick is a talented mastering engineer, and I'll make sure to get the High Roller reissue, but I'd still like to hear an older version. Was the Barricade release from '89 always considered a bootleg?
AOD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several CD releases available in the 80s and 90s, but none of them was official. The most interesting part is that most of them were probably sourced from a mastercopy, not a vinyl or a cassette source. During the research and work on the Jag Panzer remasters, I compared different versions and found out that the original files, provided by Mark Briody, sounded very close to one of the earlier bootleg CDs...but I can't remember which one...

EDIT: There was a 1991 CD version, released on Metal Blade / Caroline which should be the only official version. I never had the chance to listen to that version, but as far as I know, it should include a remix (???) of the full album. Sorry, I don't have further information regarding that version. Maybe anybody could shed some light about it ?
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
There were several CD releases available in the 80s and 90s, but none of them was official. The most interesting part is that most of them were probably sourced from a mastercopy, not a vinyl or a cassette source. During the research and work on the Jag Panzer remasters, I compared different versions and found out that the original files, provided by Mark Briody, sounded very close to one of the earlier bootleg CDs...but I can't remember which one...

EDIT: There was a 1991 CD version, released on Metal Blade / Caroline which should be the only official version. I never had the chance to listen to that version, but as far as I know, it should include a remix (???) of the full album. Sorry, I don't have further information regarding that version. Maybe anybody could shed some light about it ?

Thanks a lot, this was really helpful. Which of the masters you've heard do you prefer?
drinks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MetalCore CD release from 90 was the first official CD pressing, there are no real Iron Works copies. The Metal Blade 91 CD is probably more desirable though.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the the Metal Blade 91 CD and I don't remember it sounding that great, pretty flat. Get a good analogue rip of the original lp and make a cd-r for best results.
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bootleg cd sounds great to me.Possibly came straight from the original source.
More raw than the High Roller vinyl reissue.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two pressings, Iron Works & No Poser recs.. as far as I remember, the volume is significantly louder on the No Poser press, but the sound is more raw in comparison. Iron Works' cd sounds clearer and possibly a bit better to most people. I haven't decided to this very day what version I like best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: