P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Occult books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixaxxar is releasing a new Qliphotic grimoire. The preorder is for 60 Eur,is print to order and lasts until November. This looks pretty good.
http://www.ixaxaar.com/index2.html
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, why is this source a.) that expensive when releasing books and b.) why is it that "in" ?

I assume this anti-cosmic movement and itīs development is based upon the Dissection-trend, right?
Soth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsturm888 wrote:

I assume this anti-cosmic movement and itīs development is based upon the Dissection-trend, right?

No.
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soth wrote:
Wolfsturm888 wrote:

No.

Could you articulate yourself a bit more accurately?
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsturm888 wrote:
Soth wrote:
Wolfsturm888 wrote:

No.

Could you articulate yourself a bit more accurately?

They were there before Jon joined them.

You can attribute the 218 FTW youtube comments entirely to the Dissection trend though, yes.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsturm888 wrote:
Honestly, why is this source a.) that expensive when releasing books and b.) why is it that "in" ?

Have you ever actually held a high-quality release by Starfire, Ixaxxar, or Fulgur? The ebay prices reflect demand post release, but the prices on publication are not at all unreasonable. Leather bindings, slipcases, fancy endpapers and quality paper all cost money. In a day when a shitty mass produced hardcover books cost 40 dollars, paying 60 euro for a talismanic work of art is not unreasonable.
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Wolfsturm888 wrote:

Have you ever actually held a high-quality release by Starfire, Ixaxxar, or Fulgur? The ebay prices reflect demand post release, but the prices on publication are not at all unreasonable. Leather bindings, slipcases, fancy endpapers and quality paper all cost money. In a day when a shitty mass produced hardcover books cost 40 dollars, paying 60 euro for a talismanic work of art is not unreasonable.

Building on that, printing works on economies of scale. A significant portion of the costs of printing any work lie in setup. That cost is spread out over however many pieces are printed in a run. Each copy of a small run book carries with it more of the setup cost. That cost is spread thinner over large runs, so the books reflect more the cost of the labor and materials for just the printing phase of production.

Materials aren't cheap, either. Especially good materials. Large run books with high quality materials (pretty rare, actually) benefit from being able to get bulk pricing for their inputs. Small run books don't have this advantage.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, very few individuals can put up $ 30k to print up 1500 copies of something that *might* sell eventually after a few years. The ebay prices arent reflective of total units but reflect total units available *in circulation*. By circulation I mean units that are doubles or unwanted. If there are 1000 copies total, and 950 are in the possession of people who arent interested in selling, then obviously it will increase the second hand price.
Vapula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Exactly, very few individuals can put up $ 30k to print up 1500 copies of something that *might* sell eventually after a few years. The ebay prices arent reflective of total units but reflect total units available *in circulation*. By circulation I mean units that are doubles or unwanted. If there are 1000 copies total, and 950 are in the possession of people who arent interested in selling, then obviously it will increase the second hand price.

It use to be like that but in the last few years occult books have gone the same way records have a lot of people buying multiple copies to sell on ebay. A lot of the books sell for ridiculous money and would sell out on pre orders if they were reprinted but just like with labels publishers refuse to reprint stuff.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapula wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

It use to be like that but in the last few years occult books have gone the same way records have a lot of people buying multiple copies to sell on ebay. A lot of the books sell for ridiculous money and would sell out on pre orders if they were reprinted but just like with labels publishers refuse to reprint stuff.

In many cases you have plenty of time to secure your copy of a book, if you're seriously interested. There's no point in reprinting. I'd say 99% of people whining afterwards are backward Black Metal kids who found out about these books when they're not available anymore.
Edit: But ofcourse I won't deny the problem of those who buy to flip it without reading it.
Vapula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
Vapula wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

In many cases you have plenty of time to secure your copy of a book, if you're seriously interested. There's no point in reprinting. I'd say 99% of people whining afterwards are backward Black Metal kids who found out about these books when they're not available anymore.
Edit: But ofcourse I won't deny the problem of those who buy to flip it without reading it.

You could say the same thing about vinyl why bother repressing it if you weren't around when an album was released tough shit you don't deserve to have it . There are plenty of reasons why somebody couldn't buy something when it's released money troubles etc. I doubt it's the "Black metal kids" moaning about the books I am talking about most of them wouldn't look past Ixaxaar for this type of stuff.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People arent buying this stuff because its a "trend". This isnt exactly accessable material, like some "Love Spells for the Teenage Witch" or some bullshit
astralvesl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
People arent buying this stuff because its a "trend". This isnt exactly accessable material, like some "Love Spells for the Teenage Witch" or some bullshit

Thinking that may make you feel better about your personal decision to purchase these books but it is far from true. Also 250-500 euro per "special/deluxe" edition cannot be explained away by the cost of materials and production alone.
Numerator41

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all pays off when you can cast fireballs and shit, dude.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

Thinking that may make you feel better about your personal decision to purchase these books but it is far from true. Also 250-500 euro per "special/deluxe" edition cannot be explained away by the cost of materials and production alone.
Is it really that hard to imagine that there are 1000 people globally legitimately interested in the subject? Far from true in what sense? Are you talking about Ixaxxar or just high end publishers in general. Deluxe Editions are exactly the same thing as Die Hard, box set, vinyl...a pointless luxury. Who cares how "justifiable" the price is, in all seriousness. Criticising the practice of selling them is like criticising the act of selling original paintings. If all you want is the content, you can pay your 60bucks and "cope" with the standard edition, which is still superior to any mass produced garbage you can buy in the contemporary McBookstore. If you want to spend a bit more for the hell of it, you have that option as well. Honestly I think its just a way for the publisher/artist to stick their hat out and ask for extra money. I have no problem with the practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: