P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

your experience hearing extreme metal for first time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to thrash from around 86/87 but my first exposure to EXTREME metal was the BBC arena documentary on heavy metal on christmas 88 or 89 which featured napalm death playing scum live, I just remember being blown away and going out and buying the mentally murdered 7 inch the next day.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 stories.

The first - 1990. I am a "Hardcore Kid", 16 going on 17 years old worshipping Sick of It All, Rest in Pieces, Gorilla Biscuits etc. But I also love a lot of Thrash Metal like Slayer, Kreator etc and I love horror movies.
One of my Metalhead friends says to me "there is this band OBITUARY from Florida, you would love them Mike. They are all about horror and the singer doesn't even have lyrics! He sounds like he is dying!" Needless to say, my cuiriousity is making me want to check this band out! I see pics of Obituary and they have nooses around their necks and I am sold on sight alone haha. Summer 1990 a band I like at the time SACRED REICH is playing L'amour in Brooklyn and Obituary are on tour with them! I go to the show of course and sure enough, Obituary blew SR off the stage and I become a huge fan of Obituary...but not yet any other Death Metal yet.

The second - December 1990/January 1991 - My friend Rich tells me about this "sick band from England called CARCASS who sing about medical stuff and autopsies and shit"! I am in a record store in Brooklyn called Zig Zag records. Looking at the cassettes (yes, this was 20 yrs ago) I see one for only 4.99 and it has a red cover. EARACHE GRIND CRUSHER Promo it says. Well what I bought was a promo for Earache with 3 songs from the following bands each on it - NAPALM DEATH, CARCASS, ENTOMBED, NOCTURNUS, MORBID ANGEL. I go home, put the tape in my cassette player and a song from NAPALM DEATH's "Harmony Corruptuion" comes on and I AM FUCKING FLOORED!!!! Ha! I still have the tape.

The third - Summer 1993. I love Death Metal and Hardcore still of course.
One of my older brothers is more of a Hard Rock/Glam fan and buy KERRANG MAGAZINE nearly every week at Zig Zag Records. I read this too of course as it did cover some of the bands I liked at times.
I pick up the infamous Black Metal/Varg etc issue and read all about bands I had never heard of like Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor and Darkthrone....but the only one I get to HEAR before 1994 is Darkthrone and I like them a lot.
1994 comes and BM cds start making their way to NYC record shops and the rest is history.

Last edited by Brooklyn Bastard 666 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Climbatize311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn, everyone here is so much older and tr00er than me. I wasn't even alive in the late 80s when many of you were first getting into metal. I'm 21 right now, so my influences are a bit different. My story's a little long, but here goes...

My dad introduced me to "heavier" stuff from the ages of 2-4, since he would play a lot of Nirvana and Green Day. I guess I could see that as my first beginnings. I was big into nu-metal from ages 10-14, bands like Disturbed, Slipknot, Sevendust, etc. When I was in 8th grade, I purchased the Freddy Vs. Jason soundtrack and was intrigued by Lamb of God's 11th Hour. I remember his vocals + the production + overall heaviness freaked me out, but intrigued me. I also liked the In Flames song on that disc.

Freshman year of high school, I met two dudes who were really into In Flames and Children of Bodom, so those were my first real metal bands. After that, I went through a period of metalcore and melodic death metal (in the vein of COB and IF, not good melodic death metal, mind you) for about 1.5 years..bands like IF, COB, Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Norma Jean, etc. Inklings of real death metal began to sneak in...I remember buying Carcass' Necroticism in the beginning of my sophomore year and being blown away by that. I also was intrigued by Deicide's debut, which freaked me out (as the nice little Catholic boy that I was), but I loved Dead By Dawn, nonetheless.

I think the real catalyst was when I discovered folk metal, oddly enough. I stumbled upon Elvenking's Wyrd and fell in love with that. I remember falling asleep listening to that album, and to this day, it's the only album of theirs I like and the only real folk/power album I'll listen to. I also fell in love with Ensiferum and Wintersun. After that, I started finding more heavy death/black/folk bands like Suidakra and Amon Amarth. The biggest turning point for me was finding Dissection's Storm of the Light's bane later that year. That album floored me...the iciness of it, that fucking atmosphere, was something I had never experienced. After that point, I pretty much descended into death and black metal and started slowly filtering out most metalcore/shitcore influences ever since.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard 'Mother North' by Satyricon because I downloaded the video via LimeWire or some shit in 2002

I immediately killed both my parents and have been defiling their corpses on a daily basis ever since.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
I go home, but the tape in my cassette player and a song from NAPALM DEATH's "Harmony Corruptuion" comes on and I AM FUCKING FLOORED!!!! Ha! I still have the tape.

yeah, NAPALM DEATH's harmony corruption.
when I was 12 (in '91) I was listening only to maiden, scorpions, g n r, and so on. then i met a guy from the class above me and he copied me some tapes: testament (the legacy), kreator (coma ...), sodom (better off ...) and this band whos vocalist sounded like a dog: Napalm Death. I remember when we heard it in our little tree house while drinking gatorade. I was totally flashed by this shit and knew I had to have more. some weeks later i got tapes of the grind crusher compie, massacre, entombed and deicide. the rest is fucking history. now i am doomed to spend all my money for death and black metal records for the rest of my life.

yes and I still have the old napalm death tape too, haha!!
blewcheer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
I heard 'Mother North' by Satyricon because I downloaded the video via LimeWire or some shit in 2002

I immediately killed both my parents and have been defiling their corpses on a daily basis ever since.

Typical result of listening to dark music.
little_raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climbatize311 wrote:
I purchased the Freddy Vs. Jason soundtrack

LOL, I bought it too.
Anyways my first experience was Cradle of Filth. Used to be a goth kid back in the day. Rolling Eyes I bought their Lovecraft and Witch Hearts comp because it was cheap, even thought the cover art was ugly as fuck (the same goes for every single CoF cover 'art', no sense of taste at all). I didn't get it at first because of the screeching but the melodies sounded great to me at that time. The next album I bought was Satyricon's "Dark Medieval Times". Still one of my fav albums ever. After that I got into a 5-year period of black-metal-only. Now I'm a bit more open minded, but it still remains my fav genre.
minge-eater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 1st experience with death metal was in 86 when i brought a copy of the death - mutilation demo from a friend at college.....was totally different to the thrash i was used to and instanly hooked...started buying demos and shirts straight after this,

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:

turned on by the scene from Spun (the movie)? hahaha
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the oldest in the thread??? Ha!
I am 38.
minge-eater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
Am I the oldest in the thread??? Ha!
I am 38.

no your not im older

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year

Last edited by minge-eater on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already listening to Slayer Metallica etc, my older sister used to get tapes of this stuff from someone.

I heard a song from Harmony Corruption on my clock radio back in 1990, I was 13/14, those vocals sounded pretty weird then.

I also heard Fall from Grace on the radio, I had a tape player I could actually record stuff with by then so it was cool, that same radio show also played carcass, bolt thrower godflesh etc..

My first DM cd was Entombeds Clandestine, I had to catch a train for 40 mins and walk from the train station for another 40 mins to get to the only record store that sold this stuff. (I actually wanted left hand path but they only had clandestine, tho I was happy as I thought the cover looked better)
bitewerks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being disturbed by Hellhammer's debut which I bought based on the cover art. Slayer's "Haunting the Chapel" definitely made an impression; I remember making tapes of it for a friend or 2 who said it was just too much for them. I can remember finding Venom's 1st 2 LPs in bargin bins. Again, purchased because of the cover art.

Anyone miss thosedays of blind buys based on band name or cover art?
blewcheer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitewerks wrote:
Anyone miss thosedays of blind buys based on band name or cover art?

I still do it occasionally, but I get burned more often these days.
Nosliw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really listen to a whole lot of music when I was really young. I was into instrumental and orchestral music and a few songs from Guns and Roses. What got me into music was probably way back in 1996/1997 when I listened to music from Command and Conquer with the playlist that you can play 20+ in-game tracks. I've managed to download the Command and Conquer: Alarmstoufe Rot (Red Alert in English) various artists CD. I've gotten into a lot of industrial music through that CD alone. Tracklist: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Command-Conquer-Alarmstufe-Rot/release/411353

I also surf the web and downloaded a few Metallica tracks (The Wait, Seek and Destroy, and Fight Fire with Fire) and was instantly floored by the sound. Watched Loud on MuchMusic and my taste in music was changing really rapidly, going from nu-metal flavor of the day bands to some hardcore punk and even black metal. I think it was back in 1998, when I was in grade 10-11 when I listened to Emperor's Ye Entranceemperium and was even massively floored by such intensity. Ever since, I've gotten into countless (probably over 1,300 or so) bands/composers/singers with thanks to the Internet and unlimited bandwidth.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: