P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Ruins of Beverast - 'Rain Upon the Impure' appreciation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: The Ruins of Beverast - 'Rain Upon the Impure' appreciation Reply with quote

I've been listening to this a lot these days.

Such a great album, but he totally lost it on the next one. Does anybody else like it?
weaklingone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great album. I think the songwriting is fantastic. honestly, the production makes it a challenge to appreciate IMO, the murkiness makes it sound smaller than is should. Where on Foulest Semen, you really get a sense of the grandiosity of RoB in full.

I love the "The Name of the Rose" sample in Blood Vaults I, one of my favorite moments in BM.
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent material, but like mentioned before, and when the album came out... suffers some from production.

It's like you know there is something so epic playing, but it's in another valley beyond mountains that are not easily passed and you keep strainging to try and get closer to it... but fail.

It's actually kind of frustrating the album.
Necrologue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain Upon the Impure is a masterpiece. It was definitely a difficult listen at first, but I managed to absorb it after a few listens.

The first and third albums are great, too. Each is a classic to me in their own way.

Anyone know what film Soil of the Incestuous samples from?
hc4thehc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlock the shrine is much better imo, maybe partially because of the production, but Rain on the Impure is an epic beast on itself as well!..
Monad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain upon the impure is a damn great record, Has a really dark and dense sound and atmosphere. Foulest semen... kind of passed by though. I have given it a few spins and it doesn't grab my attention like "rain..." does. I should give it yet another spin with more attention as perhaps im missing something, Most great records turn out to be the ones that you need to keep re-visiting until it just "clicks"
gasskammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitly the tRoB album that gets most spinned here. Perfect for walking long distances too.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Rain upon the impure, over the foulest. The production thing, can easily be fixed with high volum. Smile
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SepticSchizo wrote:
I prefer Rain upon the impure, over the foulest. The production thing, can easily be fixed with high volum. Smile

That just makes the low tones louder, it still lacks impact. Not sure how to vocalize my opinion on this.

Maybe just way too used to albums with heavy bass/drum noise that really works the sub-woofers.

Rain Upon the Impure doesn't do that, I'm sure the album would sound the same with or without the subwoofers plugged in.
Grim Reality

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all three albums, but yes, 'Rain' is difficult due to the production. Requires total concentration or great chunks of the album can pass you by. I listen to a lot of music while driving due to work circumstances and 'Rain' I have to say is difficult to appreciate in this instance, unless you want the car to end up wrapped around a tree or something.

Think 'Foulest Semen' is class. Epic and immediate sounding but without being shallow and lacking longevity.

Haven't heard the new compo release yet. Any use???
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain... does have an unusual production, and one which does require a bit of liberal use of the volume knob, but on a good stereo system it sounds great - subwoofers are totally unnecessary for a music listening system and just colour the experience in a very unsubtle way.
maran666atha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became familiar with RUINS through the "Foulest Semen..." record, but in the end "Rain Upon The Impure" is one click better. That sound burst in "Soil Of The Incestuous" is utterly insane.

One of Europe's finest black metal acts in the 00s and I believe they are getting significantly less attention than they should.

Good sellers: Pred, Third_of_the_Storms, Luca Blight, Mysticus, quillotine, brooks55
hc4thehc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Foulest Semen" didn't do anything for me... Adding to playlist right now, though...

ONE MORE CHANCE!.. Cool
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pestkrieg wrote:
subwoofers are totally unnecessary for a music listening system and just colour the experience in a very unsubtle way.

Seriously ?
Hell, my nuance towers with built in subs would disagree. I do not have the bass cranked to retarded floor shaking 11, but to have that bottom end in there I don't know man... I've been very content with that stereo for the last decade. It's a wicked system I have... still this particular album tends to be an effort to enjoy like others have mentioned... maybe that is part of it's charm though too.

Being different helps mark it as unique, I still though wouldn't have minded it being upgraded a little in production though... maybe instead of Gorgoroth and Dimmu and Burzum re-recordings, TRoB could do it.
George

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually contacted the label when it came out because I thought there was a mistake in the pressing, but they said no it was as the artist intended. I still prefer Unlock the Shrine over everything else, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: