P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Anguish - Through the Archdemon's Head LP/CD - SHIPPING NOW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lair of the Gods" is streaming now:

http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/01/19/anguishstream/
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Europe
when
does CD
come?
Have
I
must.
vk666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is absolutely crushing! I thrashed the hell out of the demo tape last year but this album is a big step further down their path. I will be first in line for the LP version of this brilliant album when released
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathcrusher wrote:

To Europe
when
does CD
come?
Have
I
must.

It'll be distributed to the normal places like Nuclear Winter, MSUO, Xtreem and a few others. I'm expecting these back in about two weeks.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more new one....this one ships very soon. You can buy it now at www.darkdescentrecords.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cIly-F7LuE&feature=youtu.be
StygianVespers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite damn good I have to say!
Uppsala has been quite successful as far as bringing interesting bands throughout the years.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another song posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cIly-F7LuE&feature=youtu.be

These will be shipping very soon. You can buy your copy now. 2LP gatefold layout being worked on now.

Here's a new review: http://metalreview.com/reviews/6544/anguish-through-the-archdemons-head

Score 8.5

Like fire brings heat, like lightning brings thunder, like the sun brings day, Sweden’s Anguish brings doom. The band’s full-length debut, Through the Archdemon’s Head, is fifty seven minutes of pure, skull-crushing doom metal in the fine Swedish tradition.

Being that Anguish is a Swedish doom band, comparisons to Candlemass are inevitable, but in this case, they're justified. There is more than a little Leif Edling in the mournfully melodic riffs that haunt Through the Archdemon’s Head. As somber and sorrowful as Candlemass can be, however, Anguish makes that band sound positively upbeat. Anguish is Candlemass without all the bells and whistles. That is not to say that Anguish is a poor man’s Candlemass, but rather that Anguish’s music is doom distilled to greater purity: slower, heavier and more punishing.

If comparisons to Candlemass bring to mind the soaring, operatic vocals, I had best disabuse you of any such notions as they pertain to Anguish before we go any further. Anguish frontman J. Dee’s wretched croak sounds like the product of an unholy union between Abbath and Tom G. Warrior. Objectively speaking, J. Dee’s voice is awful, but charmingly so, the sort of awful one could learn to love, and his voice is, if nothing else, very anguished. In any case, the rest of the performances on Through the Archdemon’s Head are of such a quality as to earn a little forbearance with regard to the vocals.

The tracks on Through the Archdemon’s Head are long, almost ponderously slow, and the hooks are few and far between. Yet, these songs do not aimlessly wander; every track marches inexorably toward some sort of climax, and these climaxes are all the more effective for the long hard road to them. And a hard road it is: The somber melodies that thread their way through the album offer naught but false comfort, because Anguish keeps the doomhammer close to hand and with it strikes crushing blows. Anguish cannot seem to go more than two bars without bringing a massive chord down upon your unfortunate skull.

Amidst Through the Archdemon's Head's sprawling, oppressive doom, there are brief moments of brilliance that prove the most memorable and affecting: After five and a half minutes of sullen trudging, the 18 seconds of up-tempo, double bass-accompanied soloing in “Lair of the Gods” is positively exhilarating. When J. Dee drops a couple well placed Tom G. Warrior-styled grunts into “Illusive Damnation” as it winds up for a thundering mid-paced gallop, it is just the catalyst to instigate full-on whiplash. And finally, the sinister trills that punctuate the lumbering riff in "Morbid Castle" perfectly accent the track’s seething malevolence.

With Through the Archdemon’s Head, Anguish has crafted a monstrous slab of classic doom. This album is not for the faint of heart, not for the neophyte; this is for the die-hards with iron skulls and lead in their veins. This is DOOM.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/02/anguish_prepare.html

Streaming the whole album at the above location.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox head explanation please?
A bizarre and inriguing cover indeed.
StygianVespers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was talking to a friend who lives in the same town as these guys and we were talking about bands from his area, but when I brought up these guys (whom see to get alot of recognition) nowadays he had never heard of them.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
Fox head explanation please?
A bizarre and inriguing cover indeed.

It's part of the band's mythology which underlies the album. I can't even remember it all well enough to explain it, but the CD booklet has a "story of Anguish" in it which is basically three pages of myth-making, and the fox plays a role in it as one of the god/demon figures.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StygianVespers wrote:
Funny, I was talking to a friend who lives in the same town as these guys and we were talking about bands from his area, but when I brought up these guys (whom see to get alot of recognition) nowadays he had never heard of them.

I don't know if I would call this funny. Perhaps you can send him the link and he can check them out. The members of Anguish play in other bands like Veternus and Graveless.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs begin shipping tomorrow.

Here's another review from Doommantia.

http://www.doommantia.com/2012/02/anguish-through-archdemons-head.html#comment-form

"Swedish doom band Anguish have already been given the tag of Candlemass clones by some people but it is rather unfair and just plain wrong in my view. Yes, there is a distant similarity to the doom metal legends but Anguish stand out to me as being a band with clear influences and yet sound like nowhere in particular. The music presented on almost an hours worth of crushing doom metal riffs sticks closely to the traditional doom metal values and yet, it sounds nothing like Saint Vitus, Reverend Bizarre, Lord Vicar or Black Sabbath. The one ingredient they have that is a Candlemass trademark is eerie emotion and sinister atmosphere.

The album is one captivating, monster doom riff after another which are all held together with breath-taking melodies. The one area where they beat Candlemass hands down is in sheer heaviness and slow-tempos that are ponderously slow and kind of awkward sounding at times but if you like levels of sorrow cranked to 10 on a doom metal album, this is it.

The vocals are not what I consider great in the context of the songs. The bestial vocal approach which is similar to the sound that someone makes while trying to squeeze out a big turd takes some time getting used to. Luckily there is enough variation within his style to keep it listenable but it still sounds like the bands weak-link to me.

The album starts with an intro which is the title track, 'Through the Archdemon's Head' and it is a gem, setting up the mood for the rest of the album. It quickly bleeds into the lumbering 'Book of Fox' and then the band pretty much get stuck in the same gear for the rest of the album but it sounds great anyway so who cares.

Oddly enough, 'Book Of Fox' is perhaps the weakest track on the album (even though it is a wonderful heavy piece of epic, menacing doom metal) as the album gets even better from here on in. Guitarists David Eriksson and Kribbe Christoffer Frylmark are masters of melodic but punishing riffs of doom and gloom and this album is packed full of memorable riffing. The rests of the band are no slouches either, drummer Ralle pounds and assaults the kit so the band is an incredibly tight unit.

While the riffs are memorable, there is nothing in the way of catchy hooks or grooves, the band is way too slow and ponderous for that but these songs are mesmerizing and hypnotic so that makes up for it. One of the biggest highlights is track three, 'When the Ancients Dare to Walk' which is towering, elephantine doom at its best. 'Dawn of Doom' follows on in a similar vein and next track, 'Lair of the Gods' features perhaps the only real groove on the entire album. It is the album's only upbeat moment and believe me, you need it but this stage in the album. 'Illusive Damnation' and 'The Veil' offer no real surprises but no surprises are needed really. The songwriting quality is excellent and these two tracks don't let the listener down. The final track 'Morbid Castle' at least offers some diversity. This is the albums longest track and also features the most variance in tempos and melodies. The track is excruciating, grievous, grim, and about as oppressive as doom metal gets but is a bit on the long side at almost 12 minutes.

This album is a keeper but it has one or two question marks, the main one being the vocals which are the love/hate variety. I can see some people digging this mans style while others will find the vocals just plain awful. I am in the middle of those two as there are tracks where they seem to suit the grimness of the compositions but at other times, they are just a bit irritating. The only other weakness I can find is the songs all tend to sound the same after a while. There are really only two tracks that break away from the meandering, trudging style but that is a minor gripe. If it is sinister doom that you are after, this is a "must-have" and if you think traditional doom can not come up with anything remarkable anymore, this album should prove you wrong. I don't think Anguish can be put on the same pedestal as Wounded Kings or even Candlemass at their best just yet but they come close at times. The moments of sheer excellence that 'Through The Archdemons Head' has are plentiful enough to make this an essential buy for 2012. The official release date was February 8th so you should be able to buy this now so go and get it. This is a band to watch out for, the Swedes have done it again....9/10."
StygianVespers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkdescentrecords wrote:
StygianVespers wrote:

I don't know if I would call this funny. Perhaps you can send him the link and he can check them out. The members of Anguish play in other bands like Veternus and Graveless.

I told him about them and apparently he has jammed with two of the members at one point. Sure is a small world we live in.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHIPPING NOW - www.darkdescentrecords.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: