P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Anguish - Through the Archdemon's Head LP/CD - SHIPPING NOW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Saevus"]
darkdescentrecords wrote:
Saevus wrote:
darkdescentrecords wrote:
I've heard the first four songs of the new album mixed/mastered and I can confidently say that this is first rate doom. Souls will be crushed! I'm very excited for this one...more info soon. A few tweaks to the cover art.

I prefer the painting before the editing. I can imagine that the previous image is more or less what the painting looks like in person.

Much wasn't done other than changing the band logo from white to black. I think it gives it a darker appearance overall.

The rest of the painting is a lot darker, as there are no longer any pure white areas. It makes the paining look muted.

David read this and wanted to clarify about your comments. This is what he said about original one and the recent posting about the cover.

"The first cover with the white logo, is a scanning from a picture that I have printed out, so it is lighter. The painting is more darker in person, just like the one with that black logo. I saw that someone thought the lighter one was the real color, but that's not true."
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unusual. I think I agree with Saevus' observation that the first one looks more "natural", although that is evidently not the case. Not that it's terribly important. For what it's worth, I think the black logo does look better, although I echo Saevus' sentiment that the lighter background is a little more effective, in my eyes at least.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short video preview for the upcoming album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHBjoWJpZs&feature=share
dalecooper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing this off and on today. Riffs are just epic! I'm a little torn on the vocals still (felt the same with the demo) but I think they might be a grower, one of those things that after a few plays you start to really get into because they're just far enough off the norm.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layout has been completed for the CD version. Vinyl will come later this year in the form of a 2LP gatefold. Crushing album.

Pre-orders will be up soon.
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The couple tracks I have heard are fucking deadly. This is an instant classic. I don't understand the comments about not liking the vocals, this stuff sounds great on every level.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it based on what I've heard, definitely not feeling that cover art but hey, that's just me....
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not bad, actually. I have the same issue with the vocals as dalecooper (judging from the sample), but the riffs are solid.

Shall we commence praising the fox?
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cover art is perfect. Strange and intriguing.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To solve some questions about the cover, here is an answer from the band in an upcoming interview regarding the cover. This is definitely an album with a theme.

3a. What is the meaning behind the cover image or is up to the viewer's imagination? An isolated cabin and a decapitated fox head on a pole...? -The cabin itself is a mere mirror for what influence the entity of high might has on everything. Even in the most remote spaces and dimensions. With that said it really is up to the viewer to decide what they see when observing the cover. As the title suggests it is the actual Archdemon, whose head stands upon that pole.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song lyrics and the "story of Anguish" inside the booklet will make everything clear. The cover art certainly isn't accidental or random.
cdan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon this will probably be in my top ten of 2012. No fucking around with this band. The vocals rule.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD version is at press and up for pre-order now.

We've begun the layout for the vinyl version. Expect this in the Spring.
Hail The Tail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preview sounds crushing. Will be ordering, for sure. These vocals are fantastic.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First review is in:

Many people like to spend their intellectual space dreaming of what might have happened if they made this or that choice in life. Or deep speculation on the future of this or that institution, technological advancement or what have you. But I find myself idly pondering the questions that really matter. For instance, what would have resulted if Candlemass circa 1986-88 had hired on Quorthon of Bathory to deliver his dirtier, gravel gutted tones over their Gothic tinged traditional doom metal? This time, there is an answer to my query: Anguish. A Swedish band, paying tribute to at least two of their mightiest metallic countrymen, bastardizing disparate elements to such a successful degree that you wonder why it hadn't happened in the first place...

You can certainly hear that Candlemass feeling to a good number of the guitar riffs, several of which feel more or less paraphrased from the elder Swedes' lexicon by way of Black Sabbath, but the presence of J. Dee's harsh, constipated drawl makes all the difference. The guitars have a potent, airy tone about them which creates a timeless tunnel back to that Golden Era of doom, but feels fresh even in the current day, and the drudging, depressive chords give you that same impression of a group of monks climbing a hill with wooden crosses that you got from efforts like Nightfall or Ancient Dreams. Simple, mournful melodies will often ring out above the chunky rhythm guitars to create a slightly more modern death/doom atmosphere redolent of other Swedish acts like Memory Garden or Isole, but largely the composition falls squarely into the old school camp, not broken and in no need of fixing.

This is a lengthy beast of an album, nearly an hour long, and I'll be honest that a few of the more swollen outings like "Dawn of Doom" and "Morbid Castle" wear and tear their welcome ever so slightly, but most of the cuts clocking in around 6-8 minutes fill out just the proper space and thoroughly kick ass. The funereal "When the Ancients Dare to Walk" and "Lair of the Gods" feature just a few of the dozens of highlight riffs on the album, and I totally admire this band's ability to break off the drums and just crank out an amazingly effective, engrossing riff that drags the listener ever lower into the sodden gears of sadness that the bitter vocals so earnestly accented through the vocal presence. In general, the band moves at a level lurch, but a few infusions of muted might hover in at a mid pace and help break up the desolate procession. The apocryphal, antiquated lyrics and titles stretch the imagination back through the millenia, and the production is incredibly well suited to the architecture of the guitars and vocals. A few of the hedgerows need some trimming, and a bit more variation in tempo wouldn't kill them, but on the whole this is one hell of a debut worth experiencing whether your poison is Solitude Aeternus, Candlemass, St. Vitus or Count Raven.

Verdict: Win [8.5/10]

http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2012/01/anguish-through-archdemons-head-2012.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: