P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lurker of Chalice "Lurker of Chalice" DLP 2nd Pres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Lurker of Chalice "Lurker of Chalice" DLP 2nd Pres Reply with quote

Lurker of Chalice "Lurker of Chalice" Double LP
ANTI-GOTH 380

(Description by J. Campbell)
Like Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice is a project conceived of and executed by multi-instrumentalist and visual artist Jef Whitehead, who is generally referred to as Wrest in the context of his music. For nearly 20 years, through his work with Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, and many other projects, Whitehead has consistently recorded and released music that has unquestionably left permanent scars on the face of the USBM scene. To call Lurker of Chalice a Leviathan side-project would be inaccurate. Though Leviathan is far more prolific and widely known, Wrest’s recordings under the Lurker of Chalice banner are just as earnest and extraordinary. Indeed, to many, the Lurker of Chalice material represents the zenith of Wrest’s vast and superb body of work. The self-titled Lurker of Chalice album, which came out in 2005, was the only widely circulated recording associated with the project, the two previous demos only being released in very limited quantities. The album garnered massive praise before swiftly going out of print, practically ensuring its stature as a cult masterpiece. It would be too simplistic to categorize this album as mere Black Metal because it sweeps so broadly across the musical spectrum; however, even when Wrest strays farthest from Black Metal in a stylistic sense, the sensations and emotions the music conjures are every bit as visceral. Born of true despair, the oppressive weight of anguish looms over the album. A genuine sense of oblivion permeates the atmosphere created by this collection of songs that, taken together, chart a course through the bleakest stations of the soul. Following a comparatively brief introductory track, the album opens with “Piercing Where They Might,” one of two songs on the album that were featured on the “Lurker of Chalice” demo released in 2002. The song begins with what might be the brightest passage on the album, featuring delicate guitar work accentuated by the sounds of birds in the background—this proves to be the first and last glimpse of light the listener will have—before it abruptly shifts, plunging over the blackened horizon into ever more depressive regions. A warped repetitive riff of slow bending notes carries the momentum of the song, causing a temporal distortion as it’s woven into the latticework of a steady blast beat moving four times faster—like the anxious constancy of one’s breath over the percussive fervor of one’s heartbeat. Only one other track, “Granite,” which was also featured on the 2002 demo, can really be described as something like traditional Black Metal, with assertive drums like railroad tracks guiding the movement of the song beneath a canopy of guitars, synthesizers, and ethereal vocals. As the album progresses, its lonely and bruised meanderings persist through stylistic and compositional variations that maintain the album’s allure—from the Funeral Doom aesthetics of “Minions” through the haunting echo chamber of despair evoked by “Paramnesia” to “This Blood Falls as Mortal Part III,” which features a Sylvia Plath spoken word sample amid a melancholy interplay of Eno-esque sustained guitars and synthesizers, to the Neofolk evocations of “Vortex Chalice,” before culminating with the sorrowful ardor of “Fastened to the Five Points.” The album closes unceremoniously, leaving the listener fractured and depleted. At the time of its release, no other album sounded quite like this one, and it’s no exaggeration to say that no comparable release has emerged in the last 12 years since “Lurker of Chalice”; the album truly occupies its own shade along the ever-expanding spectrum of Black Metal. NWN! is honored to present this new edition of “Lurker of Chalice,” which will include the bonus track featured on previous vinyl editions of the album. Additionally, NWN! will be working with Wrest to unearth and remaster some previously unreleased Lurker of Chalice material for future releases.

Regular Version : Black vinyl DLP, gatefold jacket, A2 poster.
Die Hard Version: Gold vinyl DLP, gatefold jacket, A2 poster, die cast metal pin, sticker.
Limited Version Red Vinyl: Red vinyl DLP, gatefold jacket, A2 poster.
Limited Version Green Vinyl: Dark green vinyl DLP, gatefold jacket, A2 poster.
Wholesale is available in increments of 10 copies (1 Red, 1 Green, 8 Black)

Click here to order.

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Doedsengel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Will the die hards also be available from Iron Bonehead this time? Or anywhere else in Europe, for that matter?
axegrinder

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Die Hard DLP is already available at IBH:

https://shop.ironbonehead.de/de/lps-/19859-lurker-of-chalice-us-same-gatefold-dlp-die-hard-version.html
Phlegma

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: fuck me. i'm tired Laughing

Last edited by Phlegma on Thu May 10, 2018 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Vapula

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still showing up on the IBP site just grabbed one. For anyone who bought this already I am guessing it doesn't include the lyrics?
JustCallMeBill

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapula wrote:
They are still showing up on the IBP site just grabbed one. For anyone who bought this already I am guessing it doesn't include the lyrics?

No lyrics, black die cut poly inner bags, poster, badge & 12x12 IBP promo sheet of new releases
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyrics have never been printed on any LoC release.

Vapula

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Yeah I know I use to have the original that's why I was hoping they would have been included this time.
Backwards

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the first press (beer colored) didn't come with the poster. Weird.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwards wrote:
My copy of the first press (beer colored) didn't come with the poster. Weird.

I can send you a poster with your next order. Just mention it in the comments section

Teivel

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, will Ixtab be getting any extra pins (if there are any)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: