P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

best live show(s) you've ever seen?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blewcheer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: best live show(s) you've ever seen? Reply with quote

Forgive me if a thread like this exists somewhere in the aether of the forum.

The "drop out" thread made me think of this. What were the best live shows you've ever seen, and why? Any cool anecdotes about them?

My #1: Sleep in Philly, 2010.
2010 was a great year show-wise for me anyway, as I tied up a lot of loose ends on bands I'd always wanted to see but hadn't. Anyway, Sleep is possibly my favorite band of all time. Without any doubt "Dopesmoker" is my favorite album. When I found out Sleep was playing ATP I considered getting tickets, but it was a hell of a drive and I didn't care to see too many of the bands playing anyway (besides Mudhoney and The Stooges anyway), but most importantly I had a shitty job at the time and knew I really couldn't afford it.
Well, soon it came out that they were doing a mini-tour and I was really excited, because I never thought I'd get the chance to see Sleep. Then I found out they were playing Philly, which is only about a 5-hour drive... I bought tickets for this thing as soon as they went on sale. Got them in the mail, ripped the envelope open, and those tickets didn't leave my sight for months. When September came, me and my roommate made the trek across the state to see them. They put on an amazing performance, and I was front-and-center for the first half of it. If you listen to the audio from the Philly show, you can hear me proclaim "FUCK YEAH!!!" as they started playing the first notes of Dopesmoker. Laughing Later on I moved to the back and sat down with a root beer (wanted to stay non-drunk for this one) to absorb it and enjoy the tunes. I called my good friend, who is a fellow Sleep fanatic, at a certain point, and he listened to over half the show through my phone. Laughing
Iron Man opened and killed, too, and I'm now happy that I got to see them with their old singer Joe, as the new singer is a morbidly obese and generic heavy metal singer.

I have a couple others, but I need to get ready for work so I'll post them later.
into the pit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best show probably wasn't metal, but auktion, those d-beat rock'n'rollers from sweden who unfortunately split up. a friend of mine set up the gig, and when I saw the band before, I was like "WTF? anorexic swedish teens? this is going to suck!", but when they opened, it was indeed pure d-beat rock'n'roll mayhem. most fitting album title ever. so intense and raging, the crowd was going mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCndbchaYY

also, they had pestfest opening, a pogo hardcore/punk band with the hottest female punk singer I've ever seen. 1,85 m tall norwegian blonde beauty who is pure sex!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qrBK3RQg8
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venetian Snares in NYC when i was 18 was pretty fuckin mental. also one of my first shows.

Forteresse is played my favorite black metal set.

Bolt Thrower played my favorite sets ever tho. MDF 2009 killed me, after their surprise set indoors I needed to lay down for like an hour. Never seen an entire crowd going crazy like that
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there are some to remember...

Watain/Archgoat/Slugathor in 2005
- This was in a way very special show. Archgoat's one of the first gigs after the comeback and was really anticipated, and it was great! But Watain's set is still even on this day something that gets speaked a lot when talked about great shows. They had pigs heads on sticks which started to pump out rotten pigs blood while they did cover of Von's Watain. Stench was brutal, maybe too brutal for some and for sure this was the first and last metal show at the venue Kipsari. All Watain shows after this have felt like nothing.

Blasphemy in 2009
- What can you say? Oversold club ready to explode just to witness the Ross Bay Demons on stage. From the start of War Command to the final beat of Ritual, a complete obliteration and devastation on which none of the bands that played before Blasphemy are capable of.

Nifelheim in 2006
- Ah yes! First time Nifelheim in Finland and was the best time. Crazy show that was at some sleezy suburb joint more known for some rock shows rather than metal. Bouncers had hard time to keep up with the metalheads thrashing with beer bottles.

"You can't hide the hook!"
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best show is always Iron Maiden (and the best of those was the "Somewhere Back in Time " tour in 08' since I didn't get to see them in 84 due to the fact I was still in diapers and hooked on boob-juice.

After that, these come to mind...but I'm sure Im forgetting a lot.

Blitzkrieg Fest (2003) - GBK, Inquisition on the same bill. Doesn't get much better.

Destroyer 666 (2006)

Nifelheim / The Chasm- (2008)

Sabbat/Deceased/Usurper/Ares Kingdom/The Chasm (2005)

Black Witchery (2003/2004 ? )

Order From Chaos/Ares Kingdom (2010)

Morbid Angel/ Motorhead (1998 ? )

Thin Lizzy* (2011)

+ tons Im forgetting.

Either way, Im sure Rites of Darkness III will put all other gigs to shame.
weaklingone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Swans, Brooklyn Masonic Temple, 2010
For the longest time I was extremely disappointed by the fact that I had "missed the boat" on seeing Swans life, which I knew from a number of friends to be an experience completely incomparable to any of the band's recorded material. When Swans reformed, I was extremely excited, the cherry on top however, is that the day of the show, a friend who worked my radio station calls me extremely early in the morning to tell me she was supposed to pick up M. Gira's guitar for the show from Gibson HQ, but couldn't and since she knew I loved Swans asked me to do it. Of course I accepted, and as renumeration, the show organizer invited me to the soundcheck, where I got to meet Michael and listen to them play for a few moments in the presence of just a handful of other people. It was amazing. Subsequently, the show itself was marvelous and an experience like no other.

-Inquisition, Europa, 2010
When I went to see this show, I was still unable to come to peace with Dagon's vocals, but after seeing one song from them live I forever changed my opinion and bought the entire discography. Bar none the BEST live black metal I have ever witnessed.
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice Cooper (2008)

Judas Priest(2011)

Slayer(2010)

King Diamond(2006)

Wolfslair(2008)

Blazing Eternity(2011)

Kvlty wrote:
I Recently got heavily into Goat Semen and Anal vomit
Professor Black

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhead 1999
Nifelheim 2008
Enslaved 1997
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really remarkable gis where:

Impaled Nazarene / Dark Tranquility 1996, Salzgitter Germany :

I just saw D.T. a few minutes, then stood drinking outside and entered the hall again when Impaled Nazarene opened with "goat perversion"; killer old school set and lots of brutality in the crowd. True damnation & violence...

Godlflesh (in Hannover, Germany) 1991:

Just outstanding, about two hours of industrial heavyness, lots of the streetcleaner stuff. unvorgetable.

Thar-Norr / Desaster etc., Celle, 1996 Germany:

Black Metal. Tha-Norr with great live-performance and Desaster with killer Kreator-cover... Lots of booze with those guys aswell... Met many true underground people also; total mayhem !

Dismember / Dissection (Hamburg, Germany) 1995:

Small club, about 200-250 people. Both bands with killer sets, lots of violence and dark atmosphere. A one-in-a-lifetime-gig...

Carcass / Treponem Pal (Hannover, Germany) 1994:

Carcass where just perfect skilled in playing their material, outstanding set and one of the best gigs i ever saw, great experience... I remeber the Treponem Pal drummer was on LSD and was a bit strange during the songs but made an 1A drumming, obscure memory...
Anon138

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORBID ANGEL (1987)
TESTAMENT / VIO-LENCE (1988)
DANZIG (1988)
DARK ANGEL (1989)
DESTRUCTION (1989)
CORONER (1989)
VOIVOD (1990)
DEATH / CARCASS (1990)
SEPULTURA / OBITUARY / SADUS (1990)
DEAD CAN DANCE (1990)
MORGOTH (1991)
NAPALM DEATH / GODFLESH / NOCTURNUS (1991)
BOLT THROWER / SACRIFICE (1991)

Too many to mention...
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon138 wrote:

DEAD CAN DANCE (1990)

Too many to mention...

One of the very few bands i would love to have seen them live...
msp666

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decomposed - Chelmsford UK in Aug 1993

Annihilator & Seven Witches - London May 2002

Gamma Ray - Bloodstock Derby 2002

While Heaven Wept - Wurzburg Germany Feb 2010

Mind has gone blank about other gigs. Too many beers...
As my crushed bowels evacuate much to my dismay...
Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsturm888 wrote:

Dismember / Dissection (Hamburg, Germany) 1995:

i can imagine Sad

Kvlty wrote:
I Recently got heavily into Goat Semen and Anal vomit
Typhon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pungent Stench, Brutal Truth and Macabre on their "Tortour" 1994 (Rytmeposten, Odense) BEST SHOW EVER Exclamation

Hedningarna 1999 (Rytmeposten, Odense)

Entombed and Artillery 2008 (Kansas City, Odense)

Mystifier and Ares Kingdom 2010 (NWN Fest II, Berlin)

+ loads of other more or less great venues esp. during the nineties..
astralvesl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at that Sleep show in Philly and holy fuck was it great. Would have to say that Nidrosian Black Mass was my favorite concert to date though, Behexen, Black Majesty, and Unbeing in particular. Other than that:
Emperor's first reunion show in NY
Horna in Allentown
Grief at Jerkstore 2006
Unholy Grave, Splatterhouse, etc... at Jerkstore the year UG played MDF
Grom and Toxic Holocaust in NY 2006 or 2007 can't remember
Bolt Thrower at MDF
All for different reasons I guess. Gwar is awesome every time I see them too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: