P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

USB recording interfaces?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: USB recording interfaces? Reply with quote

I want to start home recording some demos for new material, but I need some new equipment (the only thing I still own, other than instruments, is a Behringer 8-track mixing board and some microphones). I was looking into buying a USB interface, but I don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any advice? I don't need anything extravagant, but I don't want something basic either. I also need something that comes with good, solid software. I'm running a laptop that's about a year old with Windows 7. Suggestions?

(Oh, and I'll probably be ordering from Musician's Friend, as I have a gift certificate from them.)
probert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you want a usb mixer basically? those USB mics are pretty good, just get a really nice one of those and use whatever tracker.

edit: sorry for this retardo post.. i stopped reading after "i dont need anything extravagant". Laughing Laughing

Last edited by probert on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My band records a lot with a presonus firestudio - it's firewire based, has 2 mics and 6 line inputs, works really well with whatever software you want but comes bundled with Studio One which I like a lot...... I forget how much it was, it was a christmas gift from my wife, but it's done me really well. We bought mic > 1/4" converters and ran 8 mics simultaneously off the floor with no latency into my old macbook, and worked really well.
zero_again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Focusrite stuff in the new Musician's Friend catalogue. Also MOTU makes pretty killer low end interfaces. The only new one available is the Ultralite MK3. They have really nice sounding converters and you can pretty much do all of your own recordings with one of those and a mixer and some decent planning. If you're just into demoing material check out the Zoom H4n field recorder. It's pretty amazing. Really great sounding condensers with 2 XLR/1/4" jacks for 4 track simultaneous recording (kick/snare/room is a pretty great application). The H4n is solid gold. I felt like that thing pretty much paid for itself after two weeks of owning one. It's great for capturing shows as well.
zero_again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
My band records a lot with a presonus firestudio...

Presonus makes great gear as well. The technology with this stuff has come so far that now is a great time to buy just about any of those interfaces.
nonwave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to get shit and if it works, i never ever change or update it, so i'm running an older school m-audio delta 44 scsi card with 4 ins and outs. my guess is that you could prob. get one of these on ebay for .50 cents at this point. ha ha ha. it works!
zero_again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
... it works!

Haha. That's about all you need!
nonwave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which goes back to my main point.

i'm interested in hearing what people currently use because my shit is so ooooold (and cult)
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you're most happy with, go with that. Personally, I'd stay away from the USB mics for a few technical reasons, but if it suits you, then go for it. There are some really good USB / Firewire interfaces around at the moment for pretty cheap, have a look around and check out the gear nerd forums (be warned though, they're just as bad as metal forums Wink )

I use pro tools at home, with the "deluxe" version of the 003 rack (rack+ or whatever the fuck it's called). Maybe a little overboard for most people, I record bands at rehearsals, full drum kits, so it's good for that. Wouldn't recommend it if you're only recording a track at a time, I've even recorded drums on my phone for demos sometimes and with a bit of tweaking they turn out ok (for band reference only, but there are "famous" demos that sound a lot worse).
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm going to look into most of this stuff.

Anyone know anything about this Tascam US-600? I ask because it's in the lower part of my price range, and I used to use a couple of Tascam 4-track cassette recorder which I was always pretty satisfied with.
Pacifism-Sucks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is great and not too expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-AUDIO-FAST-TRACK-ULTRA-8R-PRO-TOOLS-MP-9-M-POWERED-/130569103041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e668666c1
I think it's possible to find used one for cheap.
Reliable traders/sellers: dangerass, aeongrave, s.charlach, The Nihil Congregation
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tascam 4-track tapes are really great, we recorded the drums for this demo with Tascam portastudio 414 and 3 cheap karaoke mics and I like the result much more than the drums sound of many other local recordings, made in real studios with pro equipment. Very Happy

Regressive Muerta Metal: https://sadistikus.bandcamp.com/album/desekrehearsal-march-21-2015
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Tascam 4-track tapes are really great, we recorded the drums for this demo with Tascam portastudio 414 and 3 cheap karaoke mics and I like the result much more than the drums sound of many other local recordings, made in real studios with pro equipment. Very Happy

I loved using the Tascam model I had, it was the basic silver thing that didn't even have an EQ or anything. The input went bad on the first one, though, and then the output went bad on the second. If not for that, I'd still use it. Most of what I ever recorded was done so on those things.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tascam interfaces have a better/clearer sound, M-audio has good preamps, so the signal gets boosted nicely. software: protools, samplitube, cubase, if you only want to record some analog music in a digital way magix musicmaker might be enough.
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get one of these, it's perfect for what you need.

Click:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: