P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Deathcrush/De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Back on Black reissue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blewcheer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
If music is recorded digitally what difference does it make what format it gets mastered for? (Not a sarcastic question, just completely baffled by all these assertions)

Hell, it seems like it would matter even less when dealing with something like a four track demo with shit sound, like the Crematory CD with supposed horrible sound everyone was bitching about.

Vinyl reacts to frequencies differently- you don't want a lot going on with certain parts of the EQ. You're supposed to get separate masters for vinyl and CD with you get to the mastering process. You also don't want the volume too loud with a vinyl master, which is a pain in the ass in the "volume wars" days.

A good example of this "warning" not being heeded is the recent reissue of the 2nd Acid Bath record. Compressed to fuck, no dynamics (the original CD had a lot of dynamics to it), way too loud, too much mid/hi stuff on the EQ = distorted, terrible sound. It's pretty much unlistenable.
weaklingone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blewcheer wrote:
weaklingone wrote:
This. I mean, I guess I understand the complaint since they only reissue stuff that is old and was mastered onto tape. But nowadays I would say at least 80% of bands record digital and that means CDs are used as masters for CDs and vinyl.

Sure, most material these days is recorded digitally, but you do realize a vinyl record should be mastered differently than a CD, right? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the sound is going to suffer if you just send them the CD version as the master for a vinyl pressing.

I am not saying you would use THE SAME master for both the CD and vinyl version, just that if its recorded digitally the master, whether it be for the vinyl or for the CD will be mastered on to a CD. Am i wrong about that?
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
blewcheer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaklingone wrote:
blewcheer wrote:
weaklingone wrote:
This. I mean, I guess I understand the complaint since they only reissue stuff that is old and was mastered onto tape. But nowadays I would say at least 80% of bands record digital and that means CDs are used as masters for CDs and vinyl.

Sure, most material these days is recorded digitally, but you do realize a vinyl record should be mastered differently than a CD, right? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the sound is going to suffer if you just send them the CD version as the master for a vinyl pressing.

I am not saying you would use THE SAME master for both the CD and vinyl version, just that if its recorded digitally the master, whether it be for the vinyl or for the CD will be mastered on to a CD. Am i wrong about that?

Well the original point was that the BoB stuff is pressed directly from the CD version of the albums, so your point is sort of moot. We aren't talking about a vinyl master being burnt to CDr and then pressed to vinyl.

As for your master question: not every master sent to a pressing plant is a CDr. Some studios - especially if you recorded analog - will send it on tape. This is really the best way, when you're talking about pressing vinyl. Analog the entire process.
Kopfschutz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both BoB releases and I think the quality in general is good. The quality of the vinyl is alright, as for the gatefold cover. Not some thin and cheap shit. Sound quality could've been better, but it's acceptable.
Another thing with these releases, well I would have preferred if they would've used the original logo instead of the new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: