P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Boards of Canada
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peopleface

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Boards of Canada Reply with quote

Not sure if there is a thread for them already but I'm curious if there are any other fans here. Everything they have made I consider great. They also have a level of mystery behind their music with sparse interviews (maybe just a lack of interest in press) and hidden lyrics throughout various songs. The album Geogaddi which I have overlooked until now for some reason has many debates behind its meaning. If any of you enjoy electronic/ambient music with attention to detail I believe they're worth a listen. Here are a few songs.

https://youtu.be/nxByyoMynZA

https://youtu.be/i6cbNPfWEVo
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive fan here. I have everything they have done on wax now - that round off reissues a few years ago was brilliant considering that the original press of Geogaddi was going for around $300 or something like that.

Very rewarding act in the sense that there very dense layers of reference and allusion behind a lot of their stuff. A good case in point is "in a beautiful place out in the country". Sounds like a very dreamy, childlike bucollic piece, until you stumble across the fact that the phrase "come and join our religious community in a beautiful place out in the country" is sampled from a Branch Davidian recruiting video.
thepubesofsatan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Boards of Canada Reply with quote

peopleface wrote:
Not sure if there is a thread for them already but I'm curious if there are any other fans here. Everything they have made I consider great. They also have a level of mystery behind their music with sparse interviews (maybe just a lack of interest in press) and hidden lyrics throughout various songs. The album Geogaddi which I have overlooked until now for some reason has many debates behind its meaning. If any of you enjoy electronic/ambient music with attention to detail I believe they're worth a listen. Here are a few songs.

The name sounded fruity but I still clicked the first link , now I have AIDS .
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Boards of Canada Reply with quote

thepubesofsatan wrote:
peopleface wrote:

The name sounded fruity but I still clicked the first link , now I have AIDS .

It wouldn't have been my first choice of track to play to someone from a Metal background, but "Music has the right to children" is, properly, regarded as a modern day classic.

Maybe try the newest album, "tomorrow's harvest" which has a very heavy John Carpenter vibe running through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz9MyPMvcM
global deathrape

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mixed feelings about these guys because I while I love their music, I got into them during a rough time so now whenever I listen to them, I get these weird melancholic feelings that I've been trying to suppress for over a decade now...it's pretty fitting come to think of it, seeing as how enigmatic they are.

Check out Sand Circles "Motor City" if you're looking for more stuff in this style, you won't be disappointed.
peopleface

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Massive fan here. I have everything they have done on wax now - that round off reissues a few years ago was brilliant considering that the original press of Geogaddi was going for around $300 or something like that.

Very rewarding act in the sense that there very dense layers of reference and allusion behind a lot of their stuff. A good case in point is "in a beautiful place out in the country". Sounds like a very dreamy, childlike bucollic piece, until you stumble across the fact that the phrase "come and join our religious community in a beautiful place out in the country" is sampled from a Branch Davidian recruiting video.

Damn I didn't know it was going for that much then but that's cool there were reissues. I remember my friend showed me them at a time when all I was listening to was metal and some punk. He showed me Music Has The Right To Children and it opened up my mind to new genres.

They are very rewarding and yes I remember reading somewhere they had an interest in religions. I did not realize that line was sampled from there though, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I think that's a reason why their music is so appealing. It can be beautiful but carry a sinister feeling that doesn't need to be presented outright. It's kind of suggested but I wouldn't say this goes for all songs. I also think the use of numerology is interesting but I don't know the meaning behind it. I'd have to do some research on that.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peopleface wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

Damn I didn't know it was going for that much then but that's cool there were reissues. I remember my friend showed me them at a time when all I was listening to was metal and some punk. He showed me Music Has The Right To Children and it opened up my mind to new genres.

They are very rewarding and yes I remember reading somewhere they had an interest in religions. I did not realize that line was sampled from there though, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I think that's a reason why their music is so appealing. It can be beautiful but carry a sinister feeling that doesn't need to be presented outright. It's kind of suggested but I wouldn't say this goes for all songs. I also think the use of numerology is interesting but I don't know the meaning behind it. I'd have to do some research on that.

Yeah, there are all sorts of weird easter eggs hidden in this stuff. I've always been a fan of acts like Death in june and Current 93 where if you dig deeper into the symbolism and references you start to learn all sorts of interesting stuff.

Some of the numerology stuff is less about numerology per se and more about "number station" shortwave broadcasts. There is a double CD compilation of this stuff (called the Conet project), and a fair bit of it found it's way into the BOC stuff. they were random shortwave broadcasts that used to come on the air at regular times and broadcast someone reading out strings of numbers among other things. By all accounts they were failsafe measures for things like isolated missile stations, spies etc etc. If the broadcast went on the air at the scheduled time and repeated the correct code the controllers knew that the mission had not been compromised. If it went silent or repeated the wrong code something was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station
peopleface

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
peopleface wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

Yeah, there are all sorts of weird easter eggs hidden in this stuff. I've always been a fan of acts like Death in june and Current 93 where if you dig deeper into the symbolism and references you start to learn all sorts of interesting stuff.

Some of the numerology stuff is less about numerology per se and more about "number station" shortwave broadcasts. There is a double CD compilation of this stuff (called the Conet project), and a fair bit of it found it's way into the BOC stuff. they were random shortwave broadcasts that used to come on the air at regular times and broadcast someone reading out strings of numbers among other things. By all accounts they were failsafe measures for things like isolated missile stations, spies etc etc. If the broadcast went on the air at the scheduled time and repeated the correct code the controllers knew that the mission had not been compromised. If it went silent or repeated the wrong code something was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

I began listening to Death In June not too long ago but I have yet to listen to Current 93.

You definitely have more knowledge regarding BOC, I had no clue that this is what they were referencing. It'd be interesting to listen to that CD set. I really need to set aside some more time to look into the hidden references. Thanks for all the info and the link, I'll read through it soon.
Nokturnihil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Campfire Headphase on wax, it's definitely and enjoyable listen from time to time.
tagradh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music teacher at sixth form introduced me to them. 'Dayvan Cowboy' and 'Kid for Today' are two of my favourite songs. A truly fantastic band.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit
Vikare

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

global deathrape wrote:
I've got mixed feelings about these guys because I while I love their music, I got into them during a rough time so now whenever I listen to them, I get these weird melancholic feelings that I've been trying to suppress for over a decade now...it's pretty fitting come to think of it, seeing as how enigmatic they are.

It reminds me of heavy study sessions in College with a sprinkling of exactly what you're referring to, but I think BoC rule regardless.
LazerBeast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorites.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to a lot of ambient music and I've given these guys a fair shake and it's never grabbed me. No hate, but not something I can get into.

I played in a band with a guy who was obsessed with them and happened to be a read dick. I've often wondered if my subconscious is secretly rejecting them based on those interactions.
Lepri Nevod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big "Geogaddi"-fan here! One of my favourite non-metal albums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: