P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Re-discovered album of the year
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re-discovered album of the year Reply with quote

Everyone can find lists of shit that came out this year, but what about stuff that you re-discovered (or newly discovered) this year that didn't come out this year? Let's talk about those.

I thought it was a pretty slow year, so I dug out some rarely listened to albums just to see if they still held any sort of interest to me. The one that surprised me most was Decieverion - S/T EP - This came out about 8 years ago and I grabbed it because it's got some GBK affiliation. I listened to it once or twice and then shelved it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't scratching any sort of itch at the time. I listened to it once or twice between then and now, and same deal. Never moved me either way so it got shelved. Earlier this year someone mentioned them and so I pulled it off the shelf one more time. This time it really stuck.

but by far the biggest Re-discovery for me this year was Bekhira - Demo 1996 - I had (most of) this on dubbed tape that I got in a trade in the late 90s, just something that someone threw on the end of a tape to fill it up. It was really cool, but I had no idea what it was, the guy who sent the tape didn't include the track titles or band name for the filler stuff, he just threw it on there. Then someone on Facebook posted a Bekhira track in June or July of this year and I recognized it instantly. I tracked down the reissue of the demo I had and only then did I realize that I only had the first 3 tracks on the dubbed tape. I've been playing that stuff a few times a week since the middle of this year. Totally fucking killer material. I still haven't heard the full length.

The biggest new discovery for me this year was Ungern. I really enjoyed the sample track DTBRex posted in the label thread before it was released, so I checked in on them to see if there was anything else that had been released. To my surprise they had 2 other albums. I grabbed all 3 and they have become a staple in my listening rotation this year.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
ToadstoolMoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread idea!

I've listened to a lot of Lugubrum and Barathrum this year, both bands I've of course known about before, but didn't truly get into them until now.

As for a particular re-discovered album, that would be Fighting the World by Manowar. Used to be my least favourite of their classic albums, now I can't get enough of it.
EK Nacht

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoncy - Joined in Darkness & Decomposed - Hope Finally Died
Hanshan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush - Caress of Steel. I finally realized the genius of the track "The Necromancer."
Tyrone Slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpions - Virgin Killer/In Trance/Taken by Force

I've long loved the more radio-friendly version of Scorps that started when Uli left, but this was year their older, less overtly "metal" material clicked.
Korgull

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked the first Megadeth album, but I was blasting it during my holiday driving and now I'm on a huge Megadave kick. Early stuff only, original versions of course. But especially Killing is My Business.
MorningStar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graveland Stuff, hadn't listened since I was in highschool. Guess I had the right idea back then
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said before great thread idea, will have wee think and then post.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watain and Ghost albums, they all really sound new again... like reinvented or something.

I think all you need to check them out again too.
Caligari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In solitude's Sister is still fairly new but to me is one of those timeless recordings already. I listened to it a lot in 2014.
Coming Soon: BRETWALDAS OF HEATHEN DOOM / HEAVYDEATH / DEVILSPIT
blewcheer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard Beasts and Battles in the North. I started listening to them more and more over the last couple years, then became a massive fan of mid-era Immortal in 2014 after basically having those albums "just because" for a decade and a half. It clicked all of a sudden.
Korgull

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blewcheer wrote:
Blizzard Beasts and Battles in the North. I started listening to them more and more over the last couple years, then became a massive fan of mid-era Immortal in 2014 after basically having those albums "just because" for a decade and a half. It clicked all of a sudden.

Battles in the North makes me fall to my knees due to intensity. Some of the tracks on PH do as well. An excellent rediscovery for the winter season, sir.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorningStar wrote:
Graveland Stuff, hadn't listened since I was in highschool. Guess I had the right idea back then

I also spent more time with Graveland this year than I had since the 90s. I still can't get into the post-Thousand Swords much. But the demos and first two albums got plenty of play this year.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belus and Fallen from Burzum. I bought them both at the same time in mid 2011, listened maybe once then didn't re-visit till earlier this year. Both have been on heavy repeat for me through out the majority of 2014.

Guess it took a couple of years to grasp my attention.
blewcheer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgull wrote:
blewcheer wrote:

Battles in the North makes me fall to my knees due to intensity. Some of the tracks on PH do as well. An excellent rediscovery for the winter season, sir.

I'm really not into Pure Holocaust, but like everything from Battles in the North to Damned in Black. The first album was one of my favorite black metal albums for a long time, but I can barely listen to it anymore. Not sure why. The last two albums are too "fest metal" for me, although each has a couple of good songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: