P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Headphones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blort

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Headphones Reply with quote

I'm hoping to purchase some new headphones in the next few months. I had a few questions that I thought folks on here might be overly qualified to help out with:
- Is it wise to get one pair for digital (Ipod) music and another for vinyl?
- Would some of you be so kind to do ultra-quick mini-reviews of what you use/recommend along with a ballpark estimate of cost?

An anesthesiologist I work with gave me a few suggestions, but his are in the $1,500 to $2,500 range and I was hoping for closer to $500 or so.
DevilWorshippingGarbage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-quietcomfort-25-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-black/8323098.p?id=1219323747659&skuId=8323098

These are about $300 dollars but fuck they sound good when I'm listening to vinyl. These pretty much block out noises from anyone in the house and you can hear the music just like if you were listening to it off a receiver.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yurbuds-inspire-300-earbud-headphones-black/8719065.p?id=1219361174866&skuId=8719065

I use these on a daily basis when I'm at work, waiting at the docs office, laying in bed, and when I workout. 30 bucks but produces great sound and stays in your ear pretty well.
Evilust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2...

Monster inspiration and beats studio wireless.

Hi def headphones, excellent for any source, but i admit i had to convert all my shitty 128k mp3 to lossless format on ipod, to enjoy the music properly.

For cds and vinyl they're great too, its great to hear some details yet unnoticed to me on many records that i have for years!
thus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have "Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro". $240 USD on amazon now. Semi-open style, which I read sounded the best when I researched before buying. Still sometimes I wish I had closed headphones, because these ones won't block out the sounds of people and appliances around you. These are supposed to have a pretty neutral response, so you should be hearing the original EQ. Other headphones (with bass boost and stuff) are probably more suited for rap and techno than metal. Also, these headphones are good enough that you will hear the flaws in many productions. CDs mastered for loudness, so most of them, sound bad. I haven't listened to much vinyl with headphones, they should sound better... as long as they weren't pressed from CD masters too. On the other hand, I could hear the guitar strings being picked on one of the Metallica CDs... forget which. Never noticed that before.

Earbuds I haven't bothered to try in at least 10 years, I don't listen to music outside anyway. I also have some wireless headphones (Sennheiser RS 180, couple hundred dollars) which seemed interesting before I got them, but they are flawed. Not good for playing instruments with because of a small lag, and anything past 50% volume sounds like it's simply distorted and clipped by software. Has a hiss/whine loud enough to annoy you during acoustic sections, and also interferes with wi-fi and other signals!

Speakers are 100% preferable but obviously not always appropriate
Blort

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These recommendations have been detailed and super-helpful so far; thank you very much to all!

Earbuds have always been super uncomfortable and, from my limited experience, I don't much care for the way bass sounds.
DevilWorshippingGarbage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blort wrote:
These recommendations have been detailed and super-helpful so far; thank you very much to all!

Earbuds have always been super uncomfortable and, from my limited experience, I don't much care for the way bass sounds.

That's why I like my earbuds I posted above. Nothing more fucking annoying when earbuds are just pure bass. These produce bass at the minimal. Then again, if you have an iPod, you can reduce the bass in your settings.
Blort

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevilWorshippingGarbage wrote:
Blort wrote:

That's why I like my earbuds I posted above. Nothing more fucking annoying when earbuds are just pure bass. These produce bass at the minimal. Then again, if you have an iPod, you can reduce the bass in your settings.

I've encountered the opposite problem; any earbuds I have tried have ended up sounding overly thin/no low end.

Good call on reducing bass if the headphones are otherwise great.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. They are monitor headphones, so they are very neutral.
thus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I don't know about going straight off a mobile device with no additional amplification. I think you will have to go for headphones with low impedance. My headphones are 250 ohms (and by the way, I don't have a good reason for why I chose that). You would want 32 or less. I will have to defer to someone to explain this though. I don't know if there's any effect on sound quality. Also I don't know whether ipods and phones typically apply software distortion at high volume levels (seems better to go through a headphone amp and leave the phone at half volume, but then of course you are no longer mobile).
Blort

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thus wrote:
Oh man I don't know about going straight off a mobile device with no additional amplification. I think you will have to go for headphones with low impedance. My headphones are 250 ohms (and by the way, I don't have a good reason for why I chose that). You would want 32 or less. I will have to defer to someone to explain this though. I don't know if there's any effect on sound quality. Also I don't know whether ipods and phones typically apply software distortion at high volume levels (seems better to go through a headphone amp and leave the phone at half volume, but then of course you are no longer mobile).

I keep my mp3s for day-to-day wandering around on one of the Ipod Classics that hold 160 or whatever...if that matters.
mushroomleg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKG k240's. Had them for a little over a year now. Love them.
The bass doesn't drown out the mids and they are comfortable as all hell. I'd recommend to anyone.
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. They are monitor headphones, so they are very neutral.

People referring to M50s as monitors has always been baffling to me. The bass is too loud and the upper midrange is smeared together with the treble due to the poor soundstage. I don't find them reliable at all while mixing. I really think they're considered monitors only because they're marketed as such.

For listening purposes -- I think they're great if you want to listen to squeaky clean modern production jobs and especially electronic music, but I find them near useless for metal. You put on something fast, blistering and raw and it sounds like a total smeared mess. Things that aren't brickwalled sound like they are. I love rawness and chaos but I don't like when speakers/headphones add more of it than there actually is due to "modern" EQ curves that overdo bass and treble. The M50s fit this description and they have poor soundstage to boot. So unless it's a very tidy mix with everything put in it's place through aggressive EQing and panning, you don't get any sense of space and separation of instruments.

I do my metal through Somic's MM163 which doesn't shy away from that "unpleasant", "cardboard" midrange like, for example the M50s do. Also an amazing soundstage for closed cans. I can put on Stormvold and hear everything absolutely clearly where most headphones or speakers turn it into total murk.
thus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that there are in fact some issues with distortion at high volumes on ipods, there's some discussion here about it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4191093
But frankly I'm not too interested in this problem!
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my listening is done from my phone these days as I spend a lot of time travelling so I invested in a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones, compatible with iPhone. They were a great investment. http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/sennheiser-momentum-2-0/

Edit: I got the previous version than in that review. No problems with comfort. I'd recommend them 100%
HotBlack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGK is great value
Superlux are incredible value

listen before you buy, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: