P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after some research finding the cheapest 150MLX to be $325, I think I will definitely pass.
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my grandfather's 80s Onkyo PL-25F linear tracking tt all fixed up. While I wish everything wasn't so automated so far the sound is worlds better than the shitty Ion USB turntable I was using prior to this. Is anyone else here running a linear tracking setup?
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, those USB turntables are the worst. May as well snap your records in half now, save it happening in a few months.
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, not that this is really on topic at all, but always get a good set of cans. It isn't always possible to play your shit at full volume, and having a decent amp that can drive a quality set of cans is a must.
Nanking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throne_of_ahaz wrote:
Also, not that this is really on topic at all, but always get a good set of cans. It isn't always possible to play your shit at full volume, and having a decent amp that can drive a quality set of cans is a must.

Agreed. Audio Technica ATH M50s are also the only option.
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanking wrote:
Throne_of_ahaz wrote:

I'm not big on AT for headphones to be honest. I have found (having owned 3 or 4 pairs of fairly high end ones over the last 4 or 5 years) that the Sennheiser HD 650's are the best sound for death/black metal without going into the $500+ category.

I was lucky enough to get mine brand new for about $200, but I think that was a one off. Incredible set of cans once you've burnt them in.
drinks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denon all the way for me. I do like Audio Technica's 'phones but there's just such amazing synergy between my Denon cartridges and cans. Want to upgrade my AH-D2000 to the D7000 eventually, not in a big rush though.
boogs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutfor wrote:
Alrighty so the gay little Shure doesn't fit on my Gemini headshell. Go figure. Any suggestions on a proper fitting headshell for this? Technics? I read Shures pair well with them.

How does it not fit? The headshells are basically the same in terms of size unless you have an awkward one.
Mephistophelesishere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grengar wrote:
I have one of those Audio Technica LP-120's right now, what would be a good preamp for it?

assuming you replaced the terrible stock cartridge with something better, i would recommend the Musical Fidelity V-LPS MKII which goes for around $189.

i once had that same turntable and have now since upgraded to the real thing (technics 1200mk2). the pre-amp in the A-T is terrible. if you have the skills, you can always remove it completely. some say it interferes with the sound quality.
Nanking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephistophelesishere wrote:
Grengar wrote:
I have one of those Audio Technica LP-120's right now, what would be a good preamp for it?

assuming you replaced the terrible stock cartridge with something better, i would recommend the Musical Fidelity V-LPS MKII which goes for around $189.

i once had that same turntable and have now since upgraded to the real thing (technics 1200mk2). the pre-amp in the A-T is terrible. if you have the skills, you can always remove it completely. some say it interferes with the sound quality.

I'll check out the V-LPS MKII. My Thorens TD-124 should be in the mail soon so I have not replaced the cartridge on the A-T, not going to invest much money into it with the new tt coming soon. I would however like a nice preamp that would work with both.
probert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just swapped my shure m44-7 that has been in constant use for about 5 years with a generic 7 dollar m44-7 from www.myneedlestore.com

made a comparison recording, thought it might interest some people. difference is pretty negligible w/ my setup and ears.

generic http://www.mediafire.com/?v0bq8k4ll6g1kr0

shure http://www.mediafire.com/?ym15izxlokxa8mk
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throne_of_ahaz wrote:
Nanking wrote:
Throne_of_ahaz wrote:

I'm not big on AT for headphones to be honest. I have found (having owned 3 or 4 pairs of fairly high end ones over the last 4 or 5 years) that the Sennheiser HD 650's are the best sound for death/black metal without going into the $500+ category.

I was lucky enough to get mine brand new for about $200, but I think that was a one off. Incredible set of cans once you've burnt them in.

Wouldn't the HD650 be slightly "slow" and not so appropriate for our fast-paced metal music? I've tried them whilst listening to Death's Symbolic and find them a tad thin in the bass department. Maybe I didn't take sufficient time for the listen. Grado (especially the RS1 with reverse pads) have tremendous pace and bass for metal IMO.
drinks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanking wrote:
I'll check out the V-LPS MKII. My Thorens TD-124 should be in the mail soon so I have not replaced the cartridge on the A-T, not going to invest much money into it with the new tt coming soon. I would however like a nice preamp that would work with both.

The TD-124 is a serious piece of kit. Any idea which tonearm is on it? If it's a bulky old arm from the 60s or 70s you will get best results from low compliance moving coil cartridges, so you'll want to spend appropriately for a really good active MC stage or an MM stage + step-up transformer. The Thorens deserves the best.

edit:

I might suggest seeking a used Simaudio phono pre, the Moon LP3 (I own one, it's fantastic, quietest preamp I've ever heard) is occasionally available second hand for ~$300 (orig retail was $550), the newer model, 110LP may go a bit higher. Even at 60dB gain, my 0.3mV cartridge exhibits no background noise at all, just what's on the record and nothing more.
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
Throne_of_ahaz wrote:
Nanking wrote:
Throne_of_ahaz wrote:

Wouldn't the HD650 be slightly "slow" and not so appropriate for our fast-paced metal music? I've tried them whilst listening to Death's Symbolic and find them a tad thin in the bass department. Maybe I didn't take sufficient time for the listen. Grado (especially the RS1 with reverse pads) have tremendous pace and bass for metal IMO.

Not from what I get from them, no. My pre-amp powers the bass through them incredibly well. I have had about 600-700 hours burn in time on them though, so sound incredible to me. I have listened to some tunes through those Grado's and wasn't overly impressed. I guess it completely depends on the listener. I have had a lot of Sennheiser headphones over the years, though.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boogs wrote:
Lutfor wrote:
Alrighty so the gay little Shure doesn't fit on my Gemini headshell. Go figure. Any suggestions on a proper fitting headshell for this? Technics? I read Shures pair well with them.

How does it not fit? The headshells are basically the same in terms of size unless you have an awkward one.

My Gemini headshell was a tad too big for it. I ordered a Technics shell and it fits fine; playing it right now.

Utter revulsion for what I've done.

You don't want the Butt Kraken!
Bring on the Krappen!

Slaughter wrote:
Why isn't Goatlord being mentioned? Is it too fast or something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 26 of 48

Jump to: