P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Sounds about right.
Steken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience repairing / fixin' up turntables, or just generally doing basic repair to consumer electronics and such?

Thing is, my new turntable only plays through one channel. I might have to replace a cable or something (?), but I don't wanna fuck it up and thought I'd ask first.

Last edited by Steken on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Okkultor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Okkultor wrote:
Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread for this, but how do you guys clean your records? I've been looking at getting a AudioQuest LP record brush but have read it may cause scoring on the records each use.

I've been using one of those on every record I put on the turntable for about a decade now. No scoring or damage to the records that I'm aware of, though if there are obvious (to the naked eye) particles/debris on a record I try to blow them off, and use the bush across the grooves if I have to to get it out as opposed to dragging the debris through the grooves by cleaning with the groove.

For heavier cleaning of gunk/stains/whatever there are a ton of different solutions out there that all pretty much have the same active ingredients and success rate.

Hey, thanks for the input! I'm gonna go ahead and get one of these brushes then. I mostly just have dust issues, think that'll clear it up. Thanks again.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
Anybody have any experience repairing / fixin' up turntables, or just generally doing basic repair to consumer electronics and such?

Thing is, my new turntable only plays through one channel. I might have to replace a cable or something (?), but I don't wanna fuck it up and thought I'd ask first.

Yes, I could talk you through it. First thing to ask is do you have a multimeter? If not, buy one. It doesnt have to be anything fancy, a $15 digital meter is totally fine.
Steken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Steken wrote:

Yes, I could talk you through it. First thing to ask is do you have a multimeter? If not, buy one. It doesnt have to be anything fancy, a $15 digital meter is totally fine.

A million thanks in advance!

Just got a multimeter from the store. What's the next step?
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set it to AC volts or AC millivolts (if you have it) and place one probe inside the RCA socket and one on the shield while playing a record. Use a shitty record you dont care about since you might bump the turntable. You want a reading on both sides. Use the known good side as a benchmark
Steken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Set it to AC volts or AC millivolts (if you have it) and place one probe inside the RCA socket and one on the shield while playing a record. Use a shitty record you dont care about since you might bump the turntable. You want a reading on both sides. Use the known good side as a benchmark

Thank you. Haven't done this just yet - ran some basic tests first, and the results are... Kinda confusing.

Switching the phono cables around in the amp makes the sound go from the right speaker to the left speaker. So far, so good.

When I touch the four tonearm leads with a pair of tweezers, just where they connect to the cartridge, I hear noises from the speakers. But here's the kicker: While touching the green, white and blue leads give low, barely audible noises, touching the red cable gives a LOUD noise.

The hell is up with that? Does it mean that there is where my problem is - and not in the phono cables after all?

ETA: Here is what I'm looking at - http://i.imgur.com/hgN6Rsx.jpg
heavyR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about the quality of older JVC turntables? I've got a JVC AL-A155 I got from my dad years ago. I think he bought it in the early '90s. I have replaced the turntable belt and the stylus/needle since I've had it, and it's always served me well. I have been considering upgrading to a U-turn or Pro-Ject model, will they be much higher quality than this one?

Buy this crap.
plaguesofwrath

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another user on this forum told me about U-Turn audio, and I think I'm going to get the Orbit pretty soon. Does anyone here have it? How does it compare to similarly priced turntables from other brands?
Huldrelok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still 'patiently' waiting for my Orbit, should be shipping out of UTurn any day now, I ordered in mid January. Everything I've read on the turntable so far has been very positive, but still cannot wait to try it out for myself, I havn't had a decent TT for months now, this thing cannot get here fast enough.
Jorm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here using this ? http://www.thequp.com/instructions.html

I'm thinking of buying one for my project debut carbon because I do lots of things when listening to music and I sometimes leave the record spin for a long time, using the needle more than it needs.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

Thank you. Haven't done this just yet - ran some basic tests first, and the results are... Kinda confusing.

Switching the phono cables around in the amp makes the sound go from the right speaker to the left speaker. So far, so good.

When I touch the four tonearm leads with a pair of tweezers, just where they connect to the cartridge, I hear noises from the speakers. But here's the kicker: While touching the green, white and blue leads give low, barely audible noises, touching the red cable gives a LOUD noise.

The hell is up with that? Does it mean that there is where my problem is - and not in the phono cables after all?

ETA: Here is what I'm looking at - http://i.imgur.com/hgN6Rsx.jpg

The blue wire looks like its poorly attached to the spade connector, but I have to check what each of the wires do to answer your specific question.
There's a few power down tests you can run that will help this process along.
1.) Unplug your turntable and disconnect the rca cables to your amp
2.) Set your meter to read contnuity on the lowest settting. Its the omega symbol. Touch your leads together and see what it does. It might beep, give a zero number or whatever. That's the reading you're looking for.
3.) Find the other end of those wires going from your cartridge and test the continuity to see if they aren't broken or whatver.
4.) Do the same thing for th rca cable. Tip to tip, shield to shield. Also, make sure that there is no short between shield and tip. There should be no continuity between them or at worst a few Mega ohms of resistance.

Edit: if you kept the cables plugged the same at your tt and flipped it at the amp than the problem is likely the cable. The test I told you will confirm that.

EDIT 2: The wires go like this: LEFT: White (+), Blue (-); RIGHT: Red (+), Green (-)

Last edited by Orpheus on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyR wrote:
Anyone know anything about the quality of older JVC turntables? I've got a JVC AL-A155 I got from my dad years ago. I think he bought it in the early '90s. I have replaced the turntable belt and the stylus/needle since I've had it, and it's always served me well. I have been considering upgrading to a U-turn or Pro-Ject model, will they be much higher quality than this one?

I doubt it. Look up the specs like rumble/ distortion and that will tell you. If you're thinking about upgrades then get a granite block to sit it on to remove feedback, or some nice isolating feet or something. Maybe a tonearm.
Steken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
The blue wire looks like its poorly attached to the spade connector, but I have to check what each of the wires do to answer your specific question.

I've asked around, and I'm 99% sure that blue is a ground cable.

As you'll see from the rest of my post, that's just about the only thing I'm sure of at this point! Very Happy

Orpheus wrote:
3.) Find the other end of those wires going from your cartridge and test the continuity to see if they aren't broken or whatver.

But those wires go into the tonearm, and then, from there, down into the turntable. So I guess I'd have to open the turntable up first, right?

Orpheus wrote:
4.) Do the same thing for th rca cable. Tip to tip, shield to shield.

Same thing here. Those RCA cables go straight into the back of the turntable, so to get to their other end, I'd have to open the turntable up first.

Orpheus wrote:
Also, make sure that there is no short between shield and tip. There should be no continuity between them or at worst a few Mega ohms of resistance.

Damn, I am such a fucking noob, not sure that I'm getting what you're saying here. If I put one multimeter lead inside an RCA plug, and the other on the surrounding "shield," should I NOT get a reading? I would have thought that, if I did that and didn't get a reading - then that would mean the RCA plug is broken...? Embarassed

ETA: Holy shit, looks like I was wrong even about the blue tonearm cable, then.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue is a "ground" for your left channel. The terminology for what type of ground youre dealing with is not well established and very confusing even for experienced people.

Yeah, you'll have to open up the turntable to test where those wires go.
Am I to understand that your RCA cables are hardwired into the turntable? Thats fucking gay, I hate when they do that.

Yes, you should not be getting a reading when you test between shield and tip, they are supposed to be insulated from each other. IF YOU ARE TESTING CONTINUITY.If they arent then your phono output (+) and (-) are being shorted together and means either the cable or the connector is defective. Same as a guitar cable or whatever.

It should say O.L. (open line), or whatever reading your meter gives when your leads are not connected to anything. If you get a high mega ohm reading, that is effectively the same thing.
When testing continuity, be absolutely certain that the circuit is NOT connected to power or has any signal running through it.

If you are testing VOLTAGE, then while under operation you should be getting a reading across shield and tip. The reason i'm saying test continuity of the wire is that it will confirm or deny the wire on its own. If you test voltage and dont get a reading that could mean the wire is bad, the cartridge is bad, the needle etc...

Upon closer examination, the green wire appears to be ragged as it goes into the tonearm from your cartridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 47 of 49

Jump to: