P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
Yes. I need one too. The stock one is the cheapest piece of shit.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harorld wrote:
I'm rocking a pro-ject turntable the past few years that seems like it'll probably be working for the next three or four decades. i'm desperately looking for a new slipmat though. the felt one it comes with is kind of shitty. Anyone with a source for a good selection of slipmats?

Yeah that felt mat blows... always sticks to the record. I wasn't able to find a decent alternative, since the project one is only 10" diameter. I tried a thicker 12" one, but the overhang on the platter caused the records to not lay flat for me.

It's expensive, but I seriously suggest getting the acrylic platter. No need for a slip mat ever again, it's full size and it really does improve the sound. The bass becomes much tighter and punchier and it's noticeable immediately.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting this:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm
harorld

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. weird how they provide the turntable with such a shitty felt slip mat. i'll look into the acrylic platter. the looks of it is so much nicer too.

edit: fuck! it's $100 for the acrylic platter. kinda didn't want to spend that much. oh well.

blodhemn9 wrote:
harorld wrote:
I'm rocking a pro-ject turntable the past few years that seems like it'll probably be working for the next three or four decades. i'm desperately looking for a new slipmat though. the felt one it comes with is kind of shitty. Anyone with a source for a good selection of slipmats?

Yeah that felt mat blows... always sticks to the record. I wasn't able to find a decent alternative, since the project one is only 10" diameter. I tried a thicker 12" one, but the overhang on the platter caused the records to not lay flat for me.

It's expensive, but I seriously suggest getting the acrylic platter. No need for a slip mat ever again, it's full size and it really does improve the sound. The bass becomes much tighter and punchier and it's noticeable immediately.
Humus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I got this about 3 months ago and loving it.

Rega P6 with Rega power source and Amp.

Wondering if you're still loving this now that you've had it for a bit longer? Feel an itch to upgrade the set-up again...
plaguesofwrath

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the thread I was looking for... My last 3 turntables went the way of the dodo. And very quickly too. But that's what I get for buying cheap Crosley turntables and/or whatever I find at garage sales...
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question that might seem kind of dumb, but please bear with me. I have an old, rare stylus that I found recently, in which the needle and cantilever themselves are fine, but the stylus assembly which hooks around the lip on the cartridge itself is broken. Is this thing toast as a whole or is there a way I could somehow salvage this needle and cantilever for use?
klamerin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Dual 1226, bought Lenco L75 a while ago, still needs a lot of upgrades to show its full potential, but this is simply a magnificent machine, so damn heavy!
I love old turntables=)
Okkultor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread for this, but how do you guys clean your records? I've been looking at getting a AudioQuest LP record brush but have read it may cause scoring on the records each use.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okkultor wrote:
Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread for this, but how do you guys clean your records? I've been looking at getting a AudioQuest LP record brush but have read it may cause scoring on the records each use.

I've been using one of those on every record I put on the turntable for about a decade now. No scoring or damage to the records that I'm aware of, though if there are obvious (to the naked eye) particles/debris on a record I try to blow them off, and use the bush across the grooves if I have to to get it out as opposed to dragging the debris through the grooves by cleaning with the groove.

For heavier cleaning of gunk/stains/whatever there are a ton of different solutions out there that all pretty much have the same active ingredients and success rate.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best/cheapest way to deep-clean records is to spread a thin film of wood glue on it and let it cure slightly and then peel it off.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

Can you explain why the acrylic platter improves the sound?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

Can you explain why the acrylic platter improves the sound?

I can't really explain it beyond what I said above, it just tightens up the bass and gives it a bit more 'punch' to my ears (and my wifes after I did a blind test with her asking which she thought sounded better, the acrylic or the stock metal platter).

I guess a way to illustrate it would be to take a metal platter and thump it with your knuckle or whatever... you hear how the sound kinds of "rings" like a bell? Well, that doesn't happen with the acrylic. It keeps the sound, especially the "low end" tighter to my ears, which gives bass a bit more punch instead of a rumble.

I have a decent preamp/receiver/speakers, but I'm not sure how noticeable the difference would be for someone using cheapo boombox speakers or something hooked up to their turntable.

In short, I thought it might just be a placebo, but after going back and forth between the stock metal platter and the acrylic when I first got it (and having my wife blind listen) listening to the same sections of music over and over, I'm confident that it was a worthy purchase for my system.

Plus, it looks great!

Edit: found this after googling the question :

"Acrylic, being close to the mechanical resistance of the record, will help greatly to dampen the record resonance generated by the stylus scrubbing in the record grooves. The acrylic platter effectively transferred the resonance onto itself thru similar mechanical resistance and, hence, helps in dampening the record. "

That said, another person in the same thread said they went back and forth between an acrylic and a glass platter (I have zero experience with glass, so I've got no opinion on it) and swears up and down that the acrylic sounds worse. I think your general set up might have a lot to do with the mileage you get off an acrylic, or lack thereof.

I think user "drinks" on here is the one to answer this question, if possible. I can only say that for me, the acrylic was an improvement on my Debut III
K-mart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may make a difference what type of metal the platter is made from also, VPI sells an aluminum platter as an upgrade to their acrylic ones pretty expensive too.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the most expensive tables out there, they all use very thick aluminum for the platter. I think acrylic is probably a good way to improve on thin steel platters for cheap but probably not as good as the 2 inch thick platters you see on high end tables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 46 of 48

Jump to: