P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rega P2 for 10 years now. I was thinking of going for the P8 in the future but,while googling,i stumbled upon some Transrotors (Darkstar and Zet1) that i fell in love with. They're just so damn expensive. Sad

blodhemn9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
drinks wrote:
The Debut motor is a cheap part anyway, shouldn't cost more than $50 from a Pro-ject dealer. Don't let them tell you otherwise, if you can solder a wire to the on/off switch you can easily do this yourself at home.

Good to know, thanks.

Yep, ended up having to replace the motor. The hi-fi shop charged me $49 for the motor and installed it for free. Only catch was it took 3 weeks to get it back. They said Project was super slow shipping the motor. It sounds so fucking good compared to the old rca plug n' play I was using these last 3 weeks. The horror, the horror...
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an Orbit Plus ordered, looking forward to getting it.
Nokturnihil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:

I am about to join the orbit club soon too. I got two Cerwin Vega 316r 15" cabs just itching to be used.. Going to get a Harman Kardon 3490 to go with it in a week or two.

Black/Death Bestial Vomit - Druidus

Chronobot - Sask Cosmic Doom
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
I have a Rega P2 for 10 years now. I was thinking of going for the P8 in the future but,while googling,i stumbled upon some Transrotors (Darkstar and Zet1) that i fell in love with. They're just so damn expensive. Sad

I just shot a load.
astraltemple

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citronic PD-1 Mark 3.
Been using it for 3 years. No major complaints.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:

minor nit picky detail, but I really like how U Turn acrylic platters come polished to what appears to be total transparency. looks cooler than the hazy unpolished "acrylit" platter that project has... and I'm willing to bet its a much cheaper upgrade through u turn as well. hahaha.

(I think I smell an afternoon buffing project in the near future)
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for those of you who're perhaps more well versed in TTs and audio equipment than I.

I currently have an Onkyo PL-25F Linear Tracking TT (and the rest of the complete matching line [which I can't be arsed to remember the names and numbers of atm], with a receiver, tape deck, and EQ) which is in the shop for repairs right now as the automatic tonearm is sticking. The first time this happened, about 10-12 months ago, it cost around 100$ to have fixed. I did initially try and handle it myself this time, but coming from no experience dealing with TTs or audio equipment in general I got about halfway into it and then figured it'd pry be best left to someone who knows what they're doing...

Anyways, enough backstory, onto the question. Do y'all think I should keep on going with this old clunker, or look to buying into the new, entry level audiophile market? My Onkyo is a perfectly good table, as far as I can tell, and I'm in love with the (alleged) 0 tracking error of the linear setup, coupled with the simplicity of the P-Mount style of cartridge (regardless of how limiting it might be). But the more I have to shell out cash to keep it running, the more it seems maybe I should just look towards retiring it.

As for the "entry level audiophile market" stuff I mentioned previously, I was mostly interested in either the Project Carbon Debut, or the new U-Turn Orbit Plus TT. There seems to be no lack of buzz surrounding these two TTs as the best bang for your buck entry level deals. But that doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions of other models if you have them.

Thanks to those that sifted through my wall of text and I hope to hear some of your thoughts on the matter.

tl:dr: Should I replace my old Onkyo Linear tracker with a fancy new entry level audiophile TT, or just keep on tinkering with my old anchor?

Check out my sale-thread HERE!
Ross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technics SL-D4 Linear Tracking Turntable....

Any opinions on this turntable?.....or Linear Tracking in general?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
[

minor nit picky detail, but I really like how U Turn acrylic platters come polished to what appears to be total transparency. looks cooler than the hazy unpolished "acrylit" platter that project has...

Before buying one, I didn't like the look of the project acrylic, now I really like the 'hazy' look of it. Looks like a block of ice to me, and I like what colored vinyl does to it certain times of day when the light hits it.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
lordoftherim wrote:
[

minor nit picky detail, but I really like how U Turn acrylic platters come polished to what appears to be total transparency. looks cooler than the hazy unpolished "acrylit" platter that project has...

Before buying one, I didn't like the look of the project acrylic, now I really like the 'hazy' look of it. Looks like a block of ice to me, and I like what colored vinyl does to it certain times of day when the light hits it.

full dork disclosure, I kinda like watching the mechanical parts turn while the record plays when viewed through ultra clear vinyl. so neat! LOL

hail aesthetics!!! Very Happy
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I did that with the second Faustcoven album a couple weeks ago... clearest vinyl I own.
Vitale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything or have any experience with the Dual 606?

Got one a while back, and I was just wondering what other people think of this turntable.
Ecstatic_Horror

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
lordoftherim wrote:
[

Did you get the Orbit Plus? After talking to a friend of mine, I'm indecisive as to which one to get.
harorld

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rocking a pro-ject turntable the past few years that seems like it'll probably be working for the next three or four decades. i'm desperately looking for a new slipmat though. the felt one it comes with is kind of shitty. Anyone with a source for a good selection of slipmats?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 45 of 52

Jump to: