P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
How are people dealing with static electricity?

I have an SL1200 and I'm noticing that the record is charged after I spin it. I've read elsewhere about static guns, humidifying, etc. Suggestions?

Humidifying is a slippery, slippery slope that is likely not worth ever applying if you own anything of value. Unless you want to spend big bucks. As an HVAC technician I always try to talk people out of it, in spite of the fact that installing one takes less then an hour and puts about $150 in my pocket.
The humidistats most of them come with are shit, and humidifying a house in the winter in order to save on your heating bill will cost you dearly if you own any books, art, electronics or reel to reel/cassette tapes that you intend to preserve. If you have a very "tight" building envelope that doesn't allow any infiltration or exfiltration of outside air you will approach 90% humidity very quickly.
Don't do it. If you have one, and you don't have a fancy digital thermostat that senses humidity (IN YOUR LIVING SPACE) turn it off. Yes, you will need to use moisturizer but unless you're a jiggaboo, suck it up and buy some Burt's Bees. Your kids will thank you.
kush_dad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of random and specefic, but I have a Pioneer PL-590 and I'm wondering if anyone knows the proper anti skate number for it, or at least for similar turntables
Xapas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend recently gave me this Pioneer PL-L1000 + pre-amp:

Is it any good?

Here's a video of one like mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKFcdO2wlQ
schoolslave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xapas wrote:

Is it any good?

Does it play records and you hear music? Then it's good.
Xapas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoolslave wrote:
Xapas wrote:

Is it any good?

Does it play records and you hear music? Then it's good.

Yes for both questions!!!!
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:

lordoftherim wrote:
I hear folks discussing pre amps often.. I honestly run mine directly into a receiver with a pre amp built in and it seems fine to me. is there much to be gained sound wise if I add an additional pre amp into the mix?

Yes it can make a huge difference, or a subtle one, or none at all. It all depends on the other equipment you're running, what you're upgrading from and what you're upgrading to. A really nice integrated amp will probably have a better phono stage than a $50 standalone preamp, etc. The biggest factor is the cartridge you're using, how sensitive it is to capacative / resistive loading, having appropriate gain, etc. At a certain point one will definitely bottleneck the other if they're not well matched.

so the variables here are essentially an Ortofon 2M red cartridge and old Onkyo TX-31 receiver w/pre amp. these factors in mind, do you you think an additional pre amp would benefit or hinder the sound with such a set up? to these ears, the current set up sounds okay, but I wonder if there is even more to be gained with the addition of another type of pre amp here? any additional recommendations or $.02 is appreciated
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kush_dad wrote:
Kind of random and specefic, but I have a Pioneer PL-590 and I'm wondering if anyone knows the proper anti skate number for it, or at least for similar turntables

I wouldn't rely so much on the number. Rather, find a blank side of a record and set the anti-skate so that the cartridge more or less stays in the same spot, at various spots on the record. As a warning, don't pick a blank side of something collectible: the needle may scratch the vinyl.
kush_dad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
kush_dad wrote:

I wouldn't rely so much on the number. Rather, find a blank side of a record and set the anti-skate so that the cartridge more or less stays in the same spot, at various spots on the record. As a warning, don't pick a blank side of something collectible: the needle may scratch the vinyl.

cool, thanks for the tip. gonna use this ridiculous record to get myself in the right place...

Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kush_dad wrote:

Just. Wow.

There are other ways to set anti-skate: some people recommend getting test records, etc. This'll get you close, anyway.
drinks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
so the variables here are essentially an Ortofon 2M red cartridge and old Onkyo TX-31 receiver w/pre amp. these factors in mind, do you you think an additional pre amp would benefit or hinder the sound with such a set up? to these ears, the current set up sounds okay, but I wonder if there is even more to be gained with the addition of another type of pre amp here? any additional recommendations or $.02 is appreciated

I can't find much info on your amp, but one source states it supports both MM and MC cartridges, is this correct? If so it's probably a decent unit with a solid built in phono preamp. The 2M series are also not very sensitive to loading variances, standard 47k resistance and up to 400pf capacitance shouldn't really change the sound much. Most Audio Technica cartridges on the other hand will have really exaggerated treble with capacitance over 200pf, for example. So you should be fine with what you have unless you notice a high noise floor or any background hum.
Knucklehead wrote:

This isn't quite right. The skating forces applied to a stylus while inside a groove will be quite different to those while it's 'riding' a blank piece of wax. Safest bet is to just set it at the same level as tracking force (or slightly lower) and tune by ear if you hear any channel imbalance.
boogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing is to leave it at zero. Antiskate will bend the needle over time. I've tried the blank record calibration and came to the same result as setting it to the value if the weight. No benefits at all, just a bent needle after three months...
kush_dad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to get a new needle anyway. i acquired the record player from my parents since they never use it anymore so god knows how long that same needle has been on there. Anyway thanks for advice dudes!
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came on here to brag that I went ahead and took the Wharfdale black friday deal and got some killer speakers. Im really surprised at the difference they have made. Highly recommended.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows about the Pioneer PL-12 turntable from I think the 70s. I know someone who just got one, but they do not have a phono amp. What kind of cart does it use and what is a good amp to match it with. We are talking low budget here please.
drinks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PL-12D? Nice midrange belter from the early/mid 70s I believe, very popular, top seller in its day and still quite easily available for a low price. It uses a standard removable headshell and 1/2" mount cartridges. The arm is fairly heavy, Audio Texhnica AT-95e would be the best low budget match for this setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 44 of 49

Jump to: