P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodomaniac84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old KENWOOD Marble turntables simply rule, get one if you can.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loud buzzing/whirring from the motor on my Debut III that I posted about some months back has returned with a vengeance.

I brought it into the shop I purchased it from yesterday and even though the table is 4 years old they said they will treat it as a warranty/tuneup situation and I won't be charged anything unless something totally fucked it is going on that they can't fix. I've always gotten great service at this place, but even I was surprised that they were so cool about it (I didn't go in there asking for free repair, only to inquire about what the problem is and then go from there).

Now the only problem is that I received a box of LPs from HHR today and I have no table to play them on at the moment !
Storm_Of_Damnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" unless something totally fucked it is going on that they can't fix"

Something which, I'm very terribly sorry to say, it's very probable.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm_Of_Damnation wrote:
" unless something totally fucked it is going on that they can't fix"

Something which, I'm very terribly sorry to say, it's very probable.

Of course, this is the thought in the back of my mind ...Don't say it out loud! Laughing
drinks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Debut motor is a cheap part anyway, shouldn't cost more than $50 from a Pro-ject dealer. Don't let them tell you otherwise, if you can solder a wire to the on/off switch you can easily do this yourself at home.

lordoftherim wrote:
I hear folks discussing pre amps often.. I honestly run mine directly into a receiver with a pre amp built in and it seems fine to me. is there much to be gained sound wise if I add an additional pre amp into the mix?

Yes it can make a huge difference, or a subtle one, or none at all. It all depends on the other equipment you're running, what you're upgrading from and what you're upgrading to. A really nice integrated amp will probably have a better phono stage than a $50 standalone preamp, etc. The biggest factor is the cartridge you're using, how sensitive it is to capacative / resistive loading, having appropriate gain, etc. At a certain point one will definitely bottleneck the other if they're not well matched.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it correct that there isn't even a manual cueing lift for the arm? Table like this needs that at a minimum.

darkdescentrecords wrote:
I've had the U Turn Orbit turntable in the office now for over a week. My system is basic down here but it still sounds great. I have the basic, with no upgrades, but I paid 150 usd for it during the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm very much satisfied with the performance so far. Don't expect any extras...everything is manual. Several times better than a cheap USB turntable and it's basically the same price.
drinks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the cueing mechanism on my Lustre tonearm needed a silicone refill I cued by hand for a while and had no major disasters. Still it's a major omission and I'd steer well clear of this turntable for many reasons I'm sure i've already stated in this thread.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for 150 bucks I paid, it is a great deal. They will soon have an add on cueing device for around 40 bucks and I am sure newer models will have it once it is available.

Here is a great review.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57614778-47/u-turn-orbit-an-audiophile-quality-turntable-for-$179/
drinks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Play a great audiophile LP, like Patricia Barber's newly remastered "Companion," and you'll hear a sound that goes beyond the high-resolution downloads

Rolling Eyes

I'll trust CNET when I need to see someone fellate a new iCrap but for stereo gear no thanks. This reads like someone who just upgraded from a Crosley and realized that vinyl isn't supposed to sound like garbage. We're talking about a $25 conical stylus here.

One thing I know i've mentioned before but no one else seems to acknowledge, are the cartridge mounting holes fixed? It appears that way from the photos. So no cartridge upgrades unless you don't care your records are getting chewed up by improper alignment.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:
The Debut motor is a cheap part anyway, shouldn't cost more than $50 from a Pro-ject dealer. Don't let them tell you otherwise, if you can solder a wire to the on/off switch you can easily do this yourself at home.

Good to know, thanks.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:

One thing I know i've mentioned before but no one else seems to acknowledge, are the cartridge mounting holes fixed? It appears that way from the photos. So no cartridge upgrades unless you don't care your records are getting chewed up by improper alignment.

They aren't fixed. Go ahead and add it to your list though.
Sodomaniac84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, Kenwood, Dual, old Denon, old Technics... no more than 150 bucks and you can have a beast at home.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are people dealing with static electricity?

I have an SL1200 and I'm noticing that the record is charged after I spin it. I've read elsewhere about static guns, humidifying, etc. Suggestions?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My static problems have pretty much disappeared on any record I've spun on my table since upgrading to an acrylic platter. Big relief after dealing with a thin felt mat.
Descension

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First solid video review of the U-Turn Orbit Plus upgraded edition is live:

http://youtu.be/RGTtbS851qE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 43 of 48

Jump to: