P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goatgrind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable and a NAD pp2 preamp. My life just changed.

TRADELIST: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21106
Steken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatgrind wrote:
Finally received my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable and a NAD pp2 preamp. My life just changed.

Whoa, is it that good? What did you have before?

In any case: Congrats!
goatgrind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing better don't speak about my old usb turntable

TRADELIST: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21106
Grimith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dual quartz cs 616 Q, bought a $50 needle for it, then the fucking AV cord started to split, soldered it together, but im still getting an ungrounded hum from it being exposed.....Now i use an Ion USB turntable which sounds not too bad.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabbed this for $80 today from Savers.

Fisher CA-270 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
Technics SL-P110 CD Player
Fisher FM-270A Tuner
Fisher EQ-2322 Graphic Equalizer

Had a Fisher tape deck too but it didnt work. May have to to just mess with the belts, not sure yet.

Thinking about grabbing a U-Turn audio table to go with it. I have a cheapie USB one right now.

Any speaker suggestions? Should I go 4 floor speakers or 2 floor speakers, 2 bookshelf? Space saving type floor speakers would be best. Cheap price would be nice also.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my daughter fucked up my Pro-ject I just got a Rega, the entry level one..don't have the extra 600 now. Well chuffed with this, it's better than my pro-ject and half the fucking price!! I'm no audiophile but if you're getting a new record player, 250 on these entry level Regas is money WELL spent!
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on the Orbit turntable and it's performance?
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpathian_Florist wrote:

I read a review earlier in an audiophile mag that it holds up to higher priced entry level audiophile tables and with a couple upgrades shows even more promise.
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:

I read a review earlier in an audiophile mag that it holds up to higher priced entry level audiophile tables and with a couple upgrades shows even more promise.

Specifically, what upgrades?
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:

Specifically, what upgrades?

You can read the whole thing at http://www.tonepublications.com/ just click where it says standard resolution version under where it says download toneaudio magazine on the right. You can read it right in adobe reader. Page 35.
Descension

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatgrind wrote:

Always great to hear reactions regarding upgraded audio equipment like this. Cool

Regas are finicky with hum sometimes though, just like the Debut tables. I like the output, but they get very expensive.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely upgrading around the turn of the year and have narrowed it down between an Orbit or Pro-Ject Debut. I'd like to spend less than $400 after all upgrades are concerned, so am I better off going with an Orbit because there's more room to play with?

I'm very intrigued by the Orbit Plus but would probably upgrade the cartridge. I currently use a Shure M97xE on my crappy MCS 6601, so I'm wondering what would be a good option that's a step up from that?

And if anyone wants to help a bit further, I primarily listen to black metal or very bass heavy records. I should probably get a DJ style cartridge for the bass vinyl, right? I've had issues of the M97xE popping out of the grooves on some especially bass heavy parts.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the U Turn Orbit turntable in the office now for over a week. My system is basic down here but it still sounds great. I have the basic, with no upgrades, but I paid 150 usd for it during the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm very much satisfied with the performance so far. Don't expect any extras...everything is manual. Several times better than a cheap USB turntable and it's basically the same price.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatgrind wrote:

very nice! I just got the same table this summer (with an acrylic platter) definitely a game changer compared to what I had been using in the past

I hear folks discussing pre amps often.. I honestly run mine directly into a receiver with a pre amp built in and it seems fine to me. is there much to be gained sound wise if I add an additional pre amp into the mix?
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkdescentrecords wrote:
I've had the U Turn Orbit turntable in the office now for over a week. My system is basic down here but it still sounds great. I have the basic, with no upgrades, but I paid 150 usd for it during the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm very much satisfied with the performance so far. Don't expect any extras...everything is manual. Several times better than a cheap USB turntable and it's basically the same price.

I'm torn between the standard and the Plus version. You said your system is basic, what kind of setup do you have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 42 of 52

Jump to: