P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a fuckin goddamn AUDIO TECHNICA, it does the job handy! Two years of sadistik abuse and it's fine! I just brush the shits frequently.

- E. M. Cioran
captainretardo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
Just got myself a vintage turntable with a whole lot of extra goodies:

It's a Thorens TD126 MK III, with a ISOTRACK TP16 tonearm and a Stanton Epoch II HZ9S cartridge with a one-year-old E9S stylus.

The extra goodies include a Dynavector DV6x step-up transformer, a Nagaoka GL601 II weight/stabilizer, a Hiraoka DISK-SE 22-0 rubber mat, etc., etc.

Got it from a true old audiophile gearhead, with the most impressive "man cave" basement I've ever seen.

I plan to pair it with a Rega Brio-R amp and a pair of Harbeth speakers, thought I'm still not sure which model would suit me best.

Killer table; congrats.
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for those who are more learned in the ways audiophilia and TT's than I.

I have an Onkyo PL-25F linear tracking TT on which I'd like to replace the cartridge. Now I understand for this particular tone arm I need a P-mount cart, but is there any special considerations I need to take in regards to the linear tracking function? Will some cartridges work better than others when it comes to this method of tracking or for the most part will it not be any different from shopping for a cart for traditional tracking turntable?

Any help or insight is much appreciated!
Captain Retard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELAC Miracord 50 H II (Made in West Germany)
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfumax wrote:
I was wondering whether any of you could help me diagnose a problem. In the middle of playback, my technics sl1200mk2 turntable suddenly fluctuated in speed and pitch dramatically. At first I thought it was a one time thing, but then it started happening more frequently, until it does not play in tune/right speed/pitch. While this happens the pitch slider light, the slider being set to the "0" position, flickers and dims.
I'm going to get some deoxit and see if that may solve anything, but was wondering whether there was anything else wrong that you guys might know about that could help.

I am curious -- whatever came of this?
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my orbit turntable from u turn audio through their kick starter campaign. Will hook it up soon and give my thoughts. It looks like a very nice turntable though.
morfumax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
morfumax wrote:
I was wondering whether any of you could help me diagnose a problem. In the middle of playback, my technics sl1200mk2 turntable suddenly fluctuated in speed and pitch dramatically. At first I thought it was a one time thing, but then it started happening more frequently, until it does not play in tune/right speed/pitch. While this happens the pitch slider light, the slider being set to the "0" position, flickers and dims.
I'm going to get some deoxit and see if that may solve anything, but was wondering whether there was anything else wrong that you guys might know about that could help.

I did a really simple mod to disable the pitch slider completely, since I'm no dj and I don't use it. It required opening up the top of the TT, unplugging the slider, then soldering two of the pins (6 & 7 I believe) together. Voila no problems, it is stable at standard pitch, and of course this is easily reversible should you want to actually get a new pitch slider.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfumax wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
morfumax wrote:

I did a really simple mod to disable the pitch slider completely, since I'm no dj and I don't use it. It required opening up the top of the TT, unplugging the slider, then soldering two of the pins (6 & 7 I believe) together. Voila no problems, it is stable at standard pitch, and of course this is easily reversible should you want to actually get a new pitch slider.

So it was the pitch slider that went bad? Interesting. I have an SL1200MLKII from 1981, I think. I'll be filing this away: thanks!
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid double post.

Last edited by Knucklehead on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
morfumax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.
TarMorion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsbearsbears wrote:
I have a question for those who are more learned in the ways audiophilia and TT's than I.

I have an Onkyo PL-25F linear tracking TT on which I'd like to replace the cartridge. Now I understand for this particular tone arm I need a P-mount cart, but is there any special considerations I need to take in regards to the linear tracking function? Will some cartridges work better than others when it comes to this method of tracking or for the most part will it not be any different from shopping for a cart for traditional tracking turntable?

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

From what I know there are no special cartridges required if you own a TT using a linear tracking tonearm. The cartridge type should match the tonearm specifications regarding vertical tracking force, weight, overhang, antiscate bias etc. If you'd like to know more about needle types here's a useful document: http://www.ortofon.com/images/stories/stylus/Everything%20you%20need%20to%20know%20about%20cartridges_Stylus%20type.pdf

I also remember a forums discussion about the needle type that works best with linear tracking. As linear tracking is more sensitive to distortion when the stylus reaches the end of a side you should look for a needle type that is more accurate like elliptical or fine-line. The price is higher but you wouldn't believe what some the better brands like Ortofon, Grado or Benz Micro are capable of when stylus and tonarm specifications match.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkdescentrecords wrote:
Got my orbit turntable from u turn audio through their kick starter campaign. Will hook it up soon and give my thoughts. It looks like a very nice turntable though.

Nice. I'm curious to see if these hold up to higher end equipment as well as they say.
jv

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:

Nice. I'm curious to see if these hold up to higher end equipment as well as they say.

Interested in this as well.
Dail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jv wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:

Interested in this as well.

any reviews on this yet?
Asgard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 41 of 49

Jump to: