P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nosliw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still stuck with a shit Sony PS-LX70 turntable. I play my records occasionally and will be getting a better one sometime in the future.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
Great stuff, all of it. Has anyone ever upgraded their player? Did you notice a difference that was worth the price. Im especially interested in cartridges and stylus.

I think you will notice a huge difference in sound quality over your current set up if you decide to get the Debut III, even with the supplied cartridge. You should get a year or two out of it (depending on your listening habits) before you start looking at replacing/upgrading your cartridge.
Psicoterror

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:

That specific cartridge was designed exclusively for DJ's and scratching. Therefore, it doesn't offer a good soundquality. Get an audiophile Shure M97XE instead.
Psicoterror

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:

Great TT... picked it up for $100 cause it was a display model. Only negative is dust cover sold separately.

I R FUCKING LOSE.

The same with this cartridge. This, again, is a cartridge oriented for DJs exclusively. You need an audiophile cartridge.
ishoulddie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current setup is a JVC QL-7 turntable with a Denon DL-103 cartridge, running into a Yamaha A-720 integrated amp and a set of Polk RTA-11T speakers. Pretty happy with it overall. The only lame thing about getting a moving coil cartridge is that when the styles wears out, you have to either send it to someone to get it re-tipped, or just get a new cartridge. i've had mine for three years, so i'm trying to decide if i want to re-tip, or go with something else.
jerry666

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
probert wrote:

That specific cartridge was designed exclusively for DJ's and scratching. Therefore, it doesn't offer a good soundquality. Get an audiophile Shure M97XE instead.
---- tried them both and i am sticking to the m44-7-the sound quality and pickups are a lot better-but to each there own
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is going to cut me a great deal on a Technics 1200...I was wondering how much good cartridges cost for those. Anyone?
autonomous deity

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
A friend of mine is going to cut me a great deal on a Technics 1200...I was wondering how much good cartridges cost for those. Anyone?

$80-$100

amazon has the best prices that i have found
MikeApocalypse

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numark TTL1910's through a Rane Serato SL1 into Numark mixer Kenwood receiver and Kilpsch speakers. Sony TCWR565RM Dual Cassette deck.
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get a new one or fix my old one. I broke the arm trying to adjust it so the record's sound wouldn't degenerate as the music played. is it cheaper and more efficient to buy a new turntable or just get my old one fixed?
azrael666

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm using a cheap Sony usb turntable. I'm working on fixing up an American Audio VTD-1000 to replace it shortly. If anybody out there has a tone arm counterweight that would work with this PM me it's all I need for it to be in working order.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
The same with this cartridge. This, again, is a cartridge oriented for DJs exclusively. You need an audiophile cartridge.

Shure M44 series cartridges are excellent value. To me there was no audible difference to my previous, more expensive, "audiophile" cartridges. Another pro is that they are more durable and I have noticed they track better at a low tone-arm weight.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two turntables up and running right now, both Technics SL-B2s, old belt-driven models from the 80s I think. They were both cheap or free. I'm running one in my living room with an Ortofon OM cart/stylus through a Technics SA-505 receiver and a pair of Fisher speakers. It sounds great, but I'd like to experiment with some different speakers and styli sometime when I get some extra dough.

The other one I have in the bedroom, I just hooked it up the other day. It's got one of those cheap Audio Technica "universal" carts/stylus running into a Technics SA-202 receiver and some crappy speakers a friend gave me simply to complete the setup. It sounds like ass because the speakers are so horrible, but at least I can listen to LPs and drink beers in the bedroom while my girlfriend watches "House" on TV in the living room...

Anyway those old Technics receivers that I have are totally kick-ass, they sound good, are really inexpensive and are bomb proof. I would recommend them to anyone looking for an affordable stereo setup.
probert

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
probert wrote:

i dj and scratch and the sound quality on this cartridge is amazing. the best ive ever heard. got an amazing low end. i know many other people who use this cartridge exclusively for listening.

tell me why a cartridge designed for DJs wouldnt have good sound quality? this is performance grade made for huge systems and speakers and also pounds the shit out of headphones for personal listening.
Albominator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get some Tr00 slipmats, comrades? I'm bored of the generic Stanton slipmat which comes with my TT.

By the way, I use a cheap, but reliable and Die Hard Stanton turntable! Connected to an old Sony Music System from 1977.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 2 of 52

Jump to: