P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustCallMeBill

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
I'm afraid P3 is out of my budget for now. P1 is pretty cool, but I've also read some scary things about it, like for example that humming/grounding problem which many buyers experienced.

P3 was my first deck, couldn't afford a new one but waited till one came up on eBay, usually plenty of choice. Ran mine with a MM though a Trichord Delphini Phono amp, didn't have any issues with humming thankfully. P1 or 2 are great decks too. Bought all my gear pre-owned, let someone else take the hit & you're usually good then to claw back most / all of your cash if you need to resell or upgrade.
kvltivation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever use a record weight? Just curious if it makes a difference with anything. I know it's supposed to help with warped records, but anything other than that?

I ask because I just switched to a cork slipmat and that actually made a difference with static and background noise which was pretty cool. I recommend getting one if static is an issue for you. I've just been interested in other cheap record player upgrades since getting it, if anyone has any recommendations.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/kvltivation/profile
JustCallMeBill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvltivation wrote:
Anyone ever use a record weight? Just curious if it makes a difference with anything. I know it's supposed to help with warped records, but anything other than that?

I ask because I just switched to a cork slipmat and that actually made a difference with static and background noise which was pretty cool. I recommend getting one if static is an issue for you. I've just been interested in other cheap record player upgrades since getting it, if anyone has any recommendations.

Used to have a Michell Gyro Deck II & used their record clamp, made a huge difference on anything that showed a slight / medium warp, now I use an Audio Technica AT-618 Disc Stabilizer as I've switched decks & currently using a D/drive opposed to belt. So many on the market & many made by some gimp in a shed with an engineering lathe, too much weight & it can damage your deck. The AT-618 comes in at approx 595 grams enough to make a difference without stressing out my drive.
the5thcolumn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded my AT-LP120 to a Rega Planar 6 with the Fono MM phono stage. Holy shit, what an improvement. It's fantastic listening to albums that I'm very familiar with and noticing little things that never popped out before (background keyboards, bass picking patterns, etc.) Speaker upgrade is next, but I'm in no rush.
qotsa909

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the5thcolumn wrote:

Upgraded my AT-LP120 to a Rega Planar 6 with the Fono MM phono stage. Holy shit, what an improvement. It's fantastic listening to albums that I'm very familiar with and noticing little things that never popped out before (background keyboards, bass picking patterns, etc.) Speaker upgrade is next, but I'm in no rush.

What cartridge are you using with that? I'm trying to decide between getting the Rega Planar 6 and the Technics SL1200GR at the moment...
the5thcolumn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qotsa909 wrote:
the5thcolumn wrote:

What cartridge are you using with that? I'm trying to decide between getting the Rega Planar 6 and the Technics SL1200GR at the moment...

I've got the Rega Exact 2 cartridge on it. I'm really enjoying it, I've been spinning more records these last couple weeks than I ever have before.
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the5thcolumn wrote:

Nice! Got jealous now! Probably going to be my next TT as well. Would ideally have the RP10, but unless I magically should win the lottery without even buying a lottery ticket I assume the Planar 6 is the one that's within reach financially.
Trade/want list: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=890122#890122
the5thcolumn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedFist wrote:
Nice! Got jealous now! Probably going to be my next TT as well. Would ideally have the RP10, but unless I magically should win the lottery without even buying a lottery ticket I assume the Planar 6 is the one that's within reach financially.

Can't go wrong with the Planar 6! The RP10 would of course be great, but the P6 is probably the most I'll ever want to shell out for a table. Once I upgrade my speakers, I see myself using this same setup for ~20 years and trying out new cartridges whenever the stylus wears out.!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87
Page 87 of 87

Jump to: