P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 84, 85, 86  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lemegethon
banned


Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1173

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemegethon wrote:
Scorn Pole wrote:
I'm sure those brushes are the exact same as each other, you pay extra for the logo added on to the side. It's like stainless steel water bottles, there's a few factories in china churning them out and you can buy them from western companies for $30 with a splash of paint and maybe a different lid, or you can get them on eBay for $6 with free shipping. Given that your money ends up in the same hands anyway may as well save a few bucks.

On a similar note the reason these sellers from China can afford the free international shipping is because the government subsidizes it for them and there are zero regulations involved in their packaging. No minimum font size to make sorting easier etc., apparently many international post services have tried to get them to change.

No, as I said the AudioQuest is the original. That company came up with it and also the new design brush.



Here's something about that new brush: https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/record-cleaning-and-maintenance/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alhaz



Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikosV. wrote:
Any suggestions for a cartridge? I own a Debut carbon turntable with a OM10 cartridge. Budget for the cartridge about 2000kr (200 more or less).


I have tried a lot of different cartidges / stylus, cheap and expensive ones.. and for me the AudioTechnica AT 95 EX, with hyper eliptical stylus is a sure shot, under 50, no other can beat this on price quality.

A.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lemegethon
banned


Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1173

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alhaz wrote:
nikosV. wrote:
Any suggestions for a cartridge? I own a Debut carbon turntable with a OM10 cartridge. Budget for the cartridge about 2000kr (200 more or less).


I have tried a lot of different cartidges / stylus, cheap and expensive ones.. and for me the AudioTechnica AT 95 EX, with hyper eliptical stylus is a sure shot, under 50, no other can beat this on price quality.

A.

its still pretty shitty though. I'd go for an AT-120EB. I believe its not manufactured anymore, but they make something new instead. You can still buy it, regardless. Much more expensive than the AT-95 though, at 120-150 euros.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windofpain



Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 837
Location: alberta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picking up a pioneer PLX-1000 with an ortofon Concorde cartridge for $400 (Canadian) after work today. it's basically brand new, and for the price it's an absolute steal. I've been without a turntable for some time (gave it to someone as a loan, decided I wanted to upgrade) and am quite happy to be getting this.

I've got a good receiver/amp and speakers, should be a nice set up.

anyone here have experience with the PLX-1000?
_________________
"King Dude sounds like white power Cake"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alhaz



Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemegethon wrote:
Alhaz wrote:
nikosV. wrote:
Any suggestions for a cartridge? I own a Debut carbon turntable with a OM10 cartridge. Budget for the cartridge about 2000kr (200 more or less).


I have tried a lot of different cartidges / stylus, cheap and expensive ones.. and for me the AudioTechnica AT 95 EX, with hyper eliptical stylus is a sure shot, under 50, no other can beat this on price quality.

A.

its still pretty shitty though. I'd go for an AT-120EB. I believe its not manufactured anymore, but they make something new instead. You can still buy it, regardless. Much more expensive than the AT-95 though, at 120-150 euros.


Well, it's not actually the money a cartidge / stylus costs but to check, listen and decide. Most of people do not spend really a lot of money into buying expensive stylus, and for those, the AT95 EX is a great choice.

I actually have "on use" 5 different turntables, with different cartidges / stylus, from the MC Goldring Elite, to AT 95 EX, through Shure V-15 Type III, Shure V-15 Type IV or Ortofon OM 20. Other options that I normally change and use are Ortofon FF15 XE mk II, Pickering V-15 Gold 1200 or Excel ES-70 EX. One should do a test trying some different cartidges / stylus without knowing which one is playing, you should take big surprises for sure.

Cheers.
A.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
axebix



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 1188

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought a Dual CS 1256 for 80 euros and by the looks it's in absolutely great condition. All automatics work. Sadly, I still lack amp so I can't play anything on it.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is that the platter is smaller than a twelve inch record.

What do YOU think of this turntable? Was the price fair?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lemegethon
banned


Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1173

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
I've recently bought a Dual CS 1256 for 80 euros and by the looks it's in absolutely great condition. All automatics work. Sadly, I still lack amp so I can't play anything on it.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is that the platter is smaller than a twelve inch record.

What do YOU think of this turntable? Was the price fair?


No. But prices are really inflated because of the hype, so whatever. I personally don't like the small platter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
axebix



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 1188

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it will serve me alright for the next few years, before I buy something more serious.
Just as long as it doesn't destroy my records...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lemegethon
banned


Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1173

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
I guess it will serve me alright for the next few years, before I buy something more serious.
Just as long as it doesn't destroy my records...


If you can get a good cartridge/stylus for it (that fits too of course), I don't see why it shouldn't be a keeper, except for the undersized platter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
axebix



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 1188

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemegethon wrote:
axebix wrote:
I guess it will serve me alright for the next few years, before I buy something more serious.
Just as long as it doesn't destroy my records...


If you can get a good cartridge/stylus for it (that fits too of course), I don't see why it shouldn't be a keeper, except for the undersized platter.


It's Dual ULM 40 S cartridge, should be fine. Thank you for the answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lemegethon
banned


Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1173

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
lemegethon wrote:
axebix wrote:
I guess it will serve me alright for the next few years, before I buy something more serious.
Just as long as it doesn't destroy my records...


If you can get a good cartridge/stylus for it (that fits too of course), I don't see why it shouldn't be a keeper, except for the undersized platter.


It's Dual ULM 40 S cartridge, should be fine. Thank you for the answers.

I looked it up and it seems it can only 'take' some specific Dual cartridges. So, not really a chance to upgrade and if you would want that, you'd need to get another player yeah. Make sure you got it aligned properly and set the weight and anti-skating right, as getting that wrong might damage records. Just remember that records wear out regardless, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
axebix



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 1188

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lemegethon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lemegethon
banned


Joined: 27 Jun 2017
Posts: 1173

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
Thanks lemegethon.


You could buy an adaptor to be able to put a more expensive cartridge on it, but remember that the 'good' cartridges (ones better than you got) start at more than 80 euros, so then you might as well start thinking about a new record player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blodhemn9



Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 7103
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you guys replace the belt on your turntable? Been using the same one on my Debut III since 2010...
_________________
Feuersturm wrote:
One day trans-androgynous cats, bi-curious hermaphrodite helicopters the next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gordeth



Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 537

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
How often do you guys replace the belt on your turntable? Been using the same one on my Debut III since 2010...

Unless it's broken or slipping, is there any reason to replace it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 85 of 86

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group